!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: General questions  (Read 634 times)

Offline PRB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 2mm Association Number: 5378
    • Awards
General questions
« on: March 20, 2018, 12:42:00 AM »
Hi
Iím new at 2mm and have a few questions, sorry if the answers are obvious but I want to make sure Iíve got the basics right before I start. Iíve joined the 2mm association and thought Iíd model a little GWR terminus to begin with and have bought a Dapol 14xx and auto coach, the first question is Easitrac or Finetrax, I have previously built pointwork and am quite confident on that score.
If I go fine scale I assume RTR will foul Easitrac point work and I would need to re wheel the stock as I get it, thatís not a problem for me at the moment as I only have a couple of items ~ is rewheeling the 14xx to fine scale standards a straightforward job or would I need the society chassis kit et al ?
Iíd like to be able to run RTR models and that would suggest 9mm Finetrax using BH code 40 rail as the easiest way to get going, but if I go down this route Iíll eventually need to build some pointwork not covered by Wayneís range, Iíve looked on the web and have found some 3 point but no roller gauges, does anyone supply them or will I have to make my own, also are there any jigs for 9mm pointwork like those for Easitrac.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Re: General questions
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 12:46:37 AM »
Well 2mm implies the 2mm track standards which do look a ton better than N and run beautifully if you get them right. For steam it's often possible to turn the wheels down and regauge them although the 14xx can be a bit of a PITA getting the wheels to reassemble if they ever come apart. The coach wheels can just be changed or you can swap for etched 2mmSA bogies with 12.25mm axles which have a near scale width rather than the big fat N ones.

If you are running Finetrax then you are doing finer scale N, which isn't a bad option either.

You said you've joined the 2mmSA - in which case you can get access to the yahoo group for 2mmSA members (the 'virtual area group') and I'd recommend asking there.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything