!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance2 anyone else getting this issue  (Read 272 times)

Offline Paul-H

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance2 anyone else getting this issue
« on: February 10, 2018, 09:23:45 AM »
Hi all

I used to use a Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance without any issues but now that most of my locos have sound decoders and all use more functions for sounds than the advance supported I upgraded to the advance2, which does work well (most of the time) the problem I have is that it sometimes fails to program the decoders on both the main and program tracks. Both sound and standard decoders and all the common makes, gaugemaster, Lenz, Zimo, ESU etc.

Had one the other day were the loco was running the wrong way, and for some odd reason CV29 had a value of 14 (should have been 6 according to the zimo documentation) and the CV calculator said it should be 7 to reverse the loco and no matter how many times i tried the gaugemaster would not change the CV, or change the decoder address. Anyone else have this issue with the Advance2.

I ended up digging out my old advance to program the decoder which it did fine.

The Advance2 is not very old but was an eBay purchase so no real receipt so can't send it back to gaugemaster and it's outside eBay return window. And PayPal as well, plus it's very intermittent so will probably not be easy to diagnose.

So just wondering if this is a common issue with the Advance2

Thanks

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline msr

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
Re: Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance2 anyone else getting this issue
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 10:09:50 AM »
It probably depends on the decoders as well as the controller. I have had a couple of locos show this kind of problem. The voltage seemed to be at the root of the issue. I found I could usually resolve this by using a programming track with a very short length (just enough for a loco) and electrical leads as short as possible, with the controller not connected to anything else (i.e. the rest of the layout).

The Prodigy also seems to be a bit sensitive to the state of the internal battery. Mine is the wireless version and the programming can be a problem as the battery charge runs down. The solution is simple: recharge the unit or else run the controller with the recharging lead plugged in and switched on.

I have occasionally had these issues with cheaper and older decoders from the likes of TCS and a couple of locos with decoders factory-fitted by Fleischmann, but never had a problem with Lenz, ESU or Zimo.

The voltage problem came to light with a Brawa loco which was factory-fitted with a Doehler & Haass sound decoder. On delivery the loco made a nasty crackling sound on DCC. I eventually discovered this was due to a too small track voltage which could be adjusted by setting CV961 "Schwellenwert ZVS". This had a default value of 9, in the range 0 - 14. Setting it to 1 solved the problem.

As for CV29, I have often found the initial value has been set to 14 rather than 2 or 6. I usually use 4-digit addresses and the Prodigy resets CV29 to 38. Adding one, to make 39, reverses the loco.

The value of CV29=38 enables analogue DC operation but I've read somewhere that certain decoders are not happy with this and their problematic behaviour can be resolved by removing the analogue option. This means subtracting 4, so CV29 would be reset to 34. Would be worth a try if you don't needs analogue operation.

Online Nigel Cliffe

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance2 anyone else getting this issue
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 10:52:59 AM »

Contact Gaugemaster.   OK its a used purchase, but be honest and I'd expect them to be fair with you.   It might need to go back to have something adjusted/changed, but I'd expect they will sort it.   Any fee will be reasonable.   

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything