!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case  (Read 29417 times)

SMason and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case
« Reply #360 on: April 27, 2018, 08:53:56 PM »
Amazing work when you consider the space available :goggleeyes:

was convinced I could see some tadpoles in there too :D

I believe Laurence (Innovationgame) sent some from his pond ;)

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #361 on: April 27, 2018, 09:13:06 PM »
A really super layout with so much detail. I must ask, do you paint the fish before you cook them or after? :confused2:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #362 on: April 27, 2018, 09:37:28 PM »
Truly excellent work, Martin. I see one house's hedge is not as well-trimmed as the neighbours'. The fish pond is a superb feature. I think I'll have to copy it when I get around to the railwaymen's terrace across the lane from the loco. shed.

The Insulated Van in BR Ice Blue livery (used from 1963 after the Trawlermen's Association complained that BR's previous White livery soon became dirty and this was a poor image for their fresh fish inside BR's vans) looks very good and is identical to the one I have, 373-727 10-TON INSULATED BOX VAN BR ICE BLUE, so it will, indeed, be running 'through' from Penmayne and, thus, through Cant Cove, carrying a variety of fresh, perishable produce, including fish, shellfish, and the justly famed edible seaweed, Samphire Grass, from Port Perran, for the gourmet meals served at the renowned restaurant at "the Station Hotel", Cant Cove, the previous pre-BR vans having been retired, in 1963.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #363 on: April 27, 2018, 09:48:59 PM »
Hi Martin,

Lovely modelling as usual.

Glad you're thinking about making netting for your pond. Hopefully that will keep you busy for months to get it right so you stop embarrassing us all with your amazing speed!  :D

Keep up the great work.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #364 on: April 27, 2018, 09:57:50 PM »
A really super layout with so much detail. I must ask, do you paint the fish before you cook them or after? :confused2:
After obviously.
Goldfish simply have to be repainted after cooking as they lose their colour during the process, unlike prawns that gain colour during cooking.
Now......why is that?
Iíll probably regret asking that as someone will come up with an answer that I wonít understand  :D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:00:50 PM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #365 on: April 27, 2018, 10:22:27 PM »
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #366 on: April 28, 2018, 08:14:19 AM »
http://exploratorium.edu/cooking/icooks/07-07-03.html
There you are!

Thank you for that Brian.
They are certainly very yummy - one of my favourites  :)

Offline Masher69

• N Gauge Society Number: 26763
    • Awards
« Reply #367 on: April 28, 2018, 11:42:39 AM »
Very nice work.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #368 on: April 28, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »
We took a walk this morning through the Luxulyan valley in beautiful weather.
The real Tregonning hamlet is nearby and my model assumes a branch off the Par to Newquay branch to Summercourt with my Tregonning being an intermediate station.
We came across the remains of a china clay dry at Pontsmill which was not rail served. However, this gives me the opportunity to run china clay trains on Tregonning so this is now the destination of my branch line off the layout.
Hereís a picture of the old clay dries

In addition, we climbed up onto Treffrey Viaduct high above the Newquay branch. Looking down we see at least three different types of ballast in use plus the old track in the middle. Quite a good modelling inspiration I think

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #369 on: April 28, 2018, 07:33:13 PM »
Thank you very much for these fascinating pictures, Martin.  We certainly did not have that weather this morning!

The old rails are neatly arranged in the 'four foot'.  There was recent unpleasantness just south of Inverness (Cradlehall to those who know the area so, strictly speaking, east) when an Up HST hit an old rail that was in the 'four foot'.  The RAIB is investigating so best not say any more.

Looking forward to seeing china clay trains on Tregonning.  The essence of Cornwall's railways.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #370 on: April 28, 2018, 07:47:00 PM »
Thank you for this pair of very attractive photos., Martin. China clay wagons always look good and, as you know, were worked down to St Blazey and then to Par (if I remember correctly) for export) or in trains to Stoke-on-Trent for pottery manufacture plus some bagged fine china clay in ferry vans was exported to, again, if I remember correctly, Italy.

There being no china clay deposits near Penmayne, I justify empty china clay wagons with what became a Class 08, from Wadebridge, going to Penmayne for attention by the C&W department and the diesel servicing shed which has fuelling and train cleaning facilities, too. As china clay, long before BR, ceased to be exported from Padstow (I've read because it was a non-union port), I can't justify any china clay going to Penmayne Harbour. I look forward to seeing your china clay wagons running though at Tregonning.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:42:27 AM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #371 on: April 28, 2018, 11:01:48 PM »
 :hellosign: Many thanks Martin for the latest photos, Tregonning is looking really superb.
     Lucky you out walking with today`s excellent weather, nice photos from Luxulyan too. It was Trevithick Day in Camborne  :veryangry:
     regards Derek.

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #372 on: April 29, 2018, 09:23:01 AM »
Regarding those rails in the four foot, it may be new rail.  It is common practice to unload new lengths of long welded rail in the four foot in preparation for re-railing works.  The old rails are then normally cut up in to shorter lengths for removal from site, usually for scrap or if it is still serviceable kept as a strategic reserve for use to cater for future defect removals, where a section of defective rail needs to be cut out and a replacement piece welded in.
Hope this is of interest.
John

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #373 on: April 29, 2018, 03:56:40 PM »
Thanks John.
I hadnít considered it might be new rail.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #374 on: April 29, 2018, 04:03:16 PM »
Iíd like to gauge opinion.
I had always thought that at the far end of Tregonning the road would go over the railway by means of an over bridge. However, having been playing around with cardboard mock ups, two things occur to me. Namely, it will look too  bulky and crowded for the position and the slope for road traffic will be unrealistically steep.
So......Iím considering a level crossing but it has to be on a bend. Iíve shown a very messy initial mock up in the photo.
It may be  that in real life, crossings werenít on bends but as this is a small layout in a case and as such compromises must be mase. I think I can get away with it.

What do people think?
To the eye, I think it will look just fine.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything