!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case  (Read 29482 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2018, 07:49:27 PM »
Thanks for the latest update. I think the signalbox is much too big for the location as it is built to use far more signal levers than would ever be needed. You could try cutting it down by a third of its length using a very sharp craft knife?

The Peedie Models drystone walls look good.

Glad to see that you have your Class 08 on clearance trials.

Your gorse looks better than mine. I need to add more dark green to mine with paint dots.

A very pale blue backscene with flat paint should look fine, Martin.
Thanks Chris. You read my mine re cutting down the signalbox. Your reply came in as I wastyping exactly the same thing.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2018, 08:23:30 PM »
Looking as good as ever.  :thumbsup:. Signal box - definitely more a lineside feature; Gorse bushes - if they are anything like the ones surrounding me, more yellow flowers would not look out of place; Back scene, looks okay to me as is.  :beers:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2018, 08:56:13 PM »
Getting betterer and betterer. Yes the signal box is a bit over size. Would making it a ground level box be better?
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2018, 08:58:26 PM »
I had thought about that, too, Brian. There was at least one small ground level box on the Newquay line (Middleway Bridge Crossing Ground Frame, a big name for a little box! also: St Blazey Bridge Crossing Box). Ideally, it should be built into the cutting side so that the signalman could see the junction.

Something like Highley's could be made from cutting down the top of the Osborne's box and mounting it on a Cornish stone base:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7c/36/89/7c368977d29b44ee3855ae0cc1ac06e2.jpg
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:08:20 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2018, 09:40:18 PM »
That gives me an idea for my new creation!
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline MalcolmInN

• Awards
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2018, 10:32:29 PM »
(BTW, Gargoyles are grotesque carved human or animal faces or figures projecting from the gutter of a building, typically acting as a spout to carry water clear of a wall.)
Actually, I think (! dimly remembered from a forum somewhere with quick check on googling :) ), not exactly typically, the spout (or throat, from old French) is the defining characteristic of all gargoyles. Otherwise they would be just other carvings and known as Grotesques.

In other words all gargoyles are grotesques, but not all grotesques are gargoyles :)
(end trivia  :D )

Good build, nice rock face @port perran :)

Offline MalcolmInN

• Awards
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2018, 10:42:43 PM »
served on a meat platter.
As I was born and live beyond the pale, (the Tamar Bridge is it still ?) am I to understand that is because a Proper Pasty has no meat in it ? I prefer an improper pasty (lower case :) ), one with meat inside, and she must obey me  !

ducks&runs

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: February 26, 2018, 10:57:09 AM »
As I was born and live beyond the pale, (the Tamar Bridge is it still ?) am I to understand that is because a Proper Pasty has no meat in it ? I prefer an improper pasty (lower case :) ), one with meat inside, and she must obey me  !

ducks&runs
No meat in a pasty, No meat in a pasty!!!!!   You must be joking  :D
The one thing you never EVER put in a pasty is carrot.
About 10 years ago Sainsburyís caused a real stink down here with their own brand Cornish Pasties. They had carrot in them,  >:D
A pet hate which we see a lot is this sign - Cornish Pastyís Sold Here. Whatís the apostrophe for?

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2018, 11:11:16 AM »
Whatís the apostrophe for?

Denotes carrot content?  ;)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2018, 11:16:23 AM »
Getting betterer and betterer. Yes the signal box is a bit over size. Would making it a ground level box be better?
I like this an idea. I may give it a go this afternoon. That Osbornís laser kit was expensive.it was an impulse buy some years ago and Iíve always regretted it. So....if I slice it up I wonít be too worried.

Offline MalcolmInN

• Awards
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2018, 03:03:28 PM »

ducks&runs
No meat in a pasty, No meat in a pasty!!!!!   You must be joking  :D
The one thing you never EVER put in a pasty is carrot.
About 10 years ago Sainsburyís caused a real stink down here with their own brand Cornish Pasties. They had carrot in them,  >:D
A pet hate which we see a lot is this sign - Cornish Pastyís Sold Here. Whatís the apostrophe for?
Oh I see. said the blind man ! Obviously I need more carets ^  (good one Tut. !)

So why "on a meat platter" as Tk. said  - now I am confused (not unusual)  just for extra protein ?

Must be that when I obtained my further education at a renowned institution in Plymouth (still on the wrong side of the pale but close ) they didnt let me in on the full secrets :)

Sorry for the diversion, keep up the superb work  :thumbsup:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2018, 04:26:43 PM »
I like this an idea. I may give it a go this afternoon. That Osbornís laser kit was expensive.it was an impulse buy some years ago and Iíve always regretted it. So....if I slice it up I wonít be too worried.
Decision made. I now have a small ground frame box with a flat roof. Or at least, I will have when glue and paint are dry.
The bonus is that I get a nice little lineside buildng (maybe a parcels office) made up of the lower level and the roof of the signal box.
Photos in due course.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: February 26, 2018, 04:36:52 PM »
Decision made. I now have a small ground frame box with a flat roof. Or at least, I will have when glue and paint are dry.
The bonus is that I get a nice little lineside buildng (maybe a parcels office) made up of the lower level and the roof of the signal box.
Photos in due course.

A flat roof, in Cornwall? Can you make it sloping downwards from the back to front instead? A house I once owned had a flat-roofed porch; very expensive to keep the rain out!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: February 26, 2018, 04:38:38 PM »
Photos in due course.

A flat roof, in Cornwall? Can you make it sloping downwards from the back to front instead? A house I once owned had a flat-roofed porch; very expensive to keep the rain out!
Too late. And.....hopefully flat roofs are ok. We have a flat roof on our bathroom - been there 20 years and ok so far. Fingers crossed!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: February 26, 2018, 07:08:51 PM »
Been working on bits and pieces today in between other things.
The ground frame box is in place though there is some detailing to add. Iím also adding a farm crossing which is just popped in place at the moment. 14xx rounds the curve with a local goods train :

Iíve done a bit more detailing on the hill and road plus Iíve made the small office/hut (with the brown roof)out of the remains of the signal box. Not sure if it will stay where it is:

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything