!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case  (Read 29402 times)

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
Re: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2018, 09:41:30 PM »
One thought that occurs to me, Martin, is that there should be a small signalbox built into the cutting side to control the junction. I'd try 'kit-bashing' the KESTREL KD12 SMALL SIGNAL BOX PLASTIC KIT N GAUGE KD12 one with the Ratio interior.

Osborneís laser cut Lynton & Barnstaple one might be a good option too. Itís small and you specify the name on the name board for it when you order it.

I did look at the very nice little Lynton & Barnstaple signalbox but thought it was only available in 00 Gauge, plus, it is not a GWR design.

Definitely available in N as I got one for Ivebridge, I just kind of ignored the "not really a GWR" bit on the basis that the bit of line it's on could possilbly have been taken over by GWR and repainted (as Ivebridge is set kind of west ish but central enough to allow some shared usage of lines) or recycled from another acquired line to use on the branch line.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2018, 09:45:06 PM »
Very nice scenic work, Martin. The layout is coming along very well with very realistic scenery.

For the layout of the station goods yard, Thorverton in South Devon, suitably compressed, of course, might provide some inspiration:

http://www.exevalleyrailway.com/thorveton

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2018, 10:24:47 PM »

Is it just me, or is there a, (grumpy looking), head in the rock face where the tracks diverge?  ??? :goggleeyes:

Bye the way, some excellent modelling.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2018, 07:44:11 AM »
Now you say it.......Iím going to notice that now!
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #169 on: February 25, 2018, 08:52:33 AM »
Ruddy Hell Martin, you are a man of many hidden talents.

A Gargoyle fashoined into the rock face. It fits well as there are some strange findings down here in Cornwall!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »

A Gargoyle fashoined into the rock face. It fits well as there are some strange findings down here in Cornwall!
Ha Ha.tis the Beast of Kestle Mill. Legend says he murdered his sister in 1455. The locals strung him up to die atop the rock where his face is replicated now. Tis said he creeps out at night, prowling the area. Local enginemen always approach the junction with care.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2018, 09:25:47 AM »
Yes, I can see the rock face, too. (BTW, Gargoyles are grotesque carved human or animal faces or figures projecting from the gutter of a building, typically acting as a spout to carry water clear of a wall.)

Re: the Osborneís laser cut Lynton & Barnstaple signalbox. Many branchlines were paid for by local railway companies who, later, sold out to a mainline company, so the signalbox could well be a pre-GWR design, e.g. a Saxby and Farmer contractor design.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2018, 09:31:21 AM »

Ha Ha.tis the Beast of Kestle Mill. Legend says he murdered his sister in 1455. The locals strung him up to die atop the rock where his face is replicated now. Tis said he creeps out at night, prowling the area. Local enginemen always approach the junction with care.

Reminds me of "The Signal-Man", adapted in 1976 by BBC TV from an 1866 short story by Charles Dickens. The story was adapted by Andrew Davies as the BBC's sixth 'Ghost Story for Christmas', with Denholm Elliott starring as the signalman. The railway signalman of the title tells of an apparition that has been haunting him . . .

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2018, 10:08:16 AM »
You could have a theme throughout the layout. How about a rock face carved with the patron Saint of Pasties...St. Crimp.  Serious business down here are the Pasties. Many a family will sit down today to a huge home made Pasty, served on a meat platter. I have actually seen this, it's tradition.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2018, 07:35:25 PM »
A bit more work today.
Iíve started on the Metcalfe platforms:

Today, I rediscovered an Osbornís signal box that I bought a few years back for Port Perran. I never built it as I was never happy with it. I feel those laser cut kits look a little two dimensional. Iím also not entirely happy with the scale?
Anyway, I built the carcass earlier to see how it looks either on the platform or by the lineside (see below). What do you think?

Iíve added some yellow flowers to the dark bushes to make them look like gorse (which is abundant down here). Iíll let this sample dry before I continue but I think it looks ok.

Finally, a trial backscene. Being in a case the backscene isnít so vital so Iím considering very pale blue. I think it represents sky and draws the eye to the greenery. Ignore the messy brush strokes - itís just a test. Does it look ok?

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »
Anyway, I built the carcass earlier to see how it looks either on the platform or by the lineside (see below). What do you think?
I think it looks nice.
(not being a an "islander" though)

Finally, a trial backscene. Being in a case the backscene isnít so vital so Iím considering very pale blue. I think it represents sky and draws the eye to the greenery. Ignore the messy brush strokes - itís just a test. Does it look ok?
I like that mix of light blue and off-white.
And guess what I like most... the messy brush strokes. Gives it a somewhat 3dimensional look and feel

The other pictures look nice. Do the cows get some fence in the future?
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2018, 07:41:19 PM »
Looking good!

I think that larger signal box works better as a lineside one than as a platform one though. It looks a bit hefty for a platform box on a small station. It might work better at the far end of the platform in the pic (in the red earth ground area in the distance).

The back scene is definitely on the right lines. As you say, it's more to provide contrast with the grass and give a horizon.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2018, 07:44:42 PM »
I think it looks nice.
(not being a an "islander" though)

I like that mix of light blue and off-white.
And guess what I like most... the messy brush strokes. Gives it a somewhat 3dimensional look and feel

The other pictures look nice. Do the cows get some fence in the future?
Fence is in place though not easy to see in the pictures.
And yes, looking again, I rather like the rough brishstrokes on the backscene.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #178 on: February 25, 2018, 07:47:03 PM »
Thanks for the latest update. I think the signalbox is much too big for the location as it is built to use far more signal levers than would ever be needed. You could try cutting it down by a third of its length using a very sharp craft knife?

The Peedie Models drystone walls look good.

Glad to see that you have your Class 08 on clearance trials.

Your gorse looks better than mine. I need to add more dark green to mine with paint dots.

A very pale blue backscene with flat paint should look fine, Martin.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #179 on: February 25, 2018, 07:47:58 PM »
Looking good!

I think that larger signal box works better as a lineside one than as a platform one though. It looks a bit hefty for a platform box on a small station. It might work better at the far end of the platform in the pic (in the red earth ground area in the distance).

The back scene is definitely on the right lines. As you say, it's more to provide contrast with the grass and give a horizon.
Thanks. I agree with the comments re the signalbox. Itís possibly too big even for the lineside. It wouldnít be a hard job I think to cut it down in size a bit to two windows length to make it more branchlinne like. However, I may favour the Peco one or even the small Metcalfe one (I already have one of those on Trepol Bay).

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything