!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case  (Read 29765 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2018, 08:29:51 PM »
This is coming along very nicely Martin, I'll have to look at this a bit closer...
Iím sure we can arrange a visit soon Steve.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2018, 07:05:46 PM »
No pictures but more progress made today.
Iíve completed the tunnel mouth which will form a dead end to the spur off the main line. This will, eventually, be largely unseen - hidden by the road over bridge.
Iíve filled in the area between the ballast edging and the rock faces. When dry (tomorrow) I can sweep up any loose bits then I can add a few weeds etc.
Iíve painted the rocky outcrop and laid static grass in the pasture land around them. This will eventually be populated with cattle.
Iíve added the end of the road down the side of the hill. Eventually this road surface will be covered with cardboard then topped off with fine sandpaper. This will be a new approach to making roads for me so Iím interested to see how it turns out.
This afternoon we took in a walk (plus coffee) at Tehidy Country Park. Being near to Camborne, I popped into the model shop to pick up some Peco platform edging strips which I shall utilise as the sides for the two road overbridges. These have been cut to shape this evening and painted in undercoat.
Iíve also decided that I will use the rather grand Metcalfe station building. To that end (whilst at the model shop) I bought the Metcalfe platform kit to complement the building.
Paint, glue and grout now all drying so thatís it for this evening.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2018, 07:53:36 AM »
Looking excellent Martin. Rocks looking as if they need some adventurous climbers!  ;)
Good to hear that the station is becoming permanent  :thumbsup:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2018, 07:09:56 PM »
Iíve been making slow but steady progress on Tregonning these past few days.
First, the bottom left corner. The area to the right of the loco is obviously not completed plus I have the low backscene to do where the foam backing is.
Iím also contemplating the telegraph poles.  Not sure yet.

Plus, Iím working on the double road over bridge. Not finished yet but I think it looks ok. The pannier is coming off the dead end where there is a tunnel mouth hidden from view. The main track circle veers off to the righr.
A few bushes etc will be added to the hillside.

Apologies, the shadow of my head has crept in.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2018, 09:37:33 PM »
Looking great! :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2018, 09:53:02 PM »
Excellent work, Martin. I'd add a plain pale blue sky backscene and have a low wall or "Cornish hedge" in front of it to hide the join. The vegetation looks highly realistic.

I'd add telegraph poles, last as they're too easy to get caught on a sleeve. (I have still to add mine along the front embankment for that reason.)

The dead-end line is an excellent idea. Good to see a 12-Ton Eastern Ventilated Van in BR Bauxite behind the pannier tank. They are fairly common in photos. of goods trains in North Cornwall. (I've no idea what they carried though.)

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2018, 10:20:37 PM »
Hi Martin,

All great stuff. Am loving your bark rocks even more now. I'm working tomorrow but will be armed with my pruning saw while taking the dogs out on Sunday for experimental bark gathering. Dead (ish) of course.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2018, 09:17:41 AM »
Please, Chris (Weave) ensure that any bark you gather is dead. When you get it home, leave it to dry out on some old newspaper after you've cleaned it of any dirt and insects. I then slowly 'bake' gathered wood (in my case, twigs for 2MM Scale logs) on a baking tray in the oven at a low heat (to prevent burning) to kill off any insects and dry it out thoroughly. "Polyfilla", or similar plaster filler, can then be used to fill in any holes to make it look more rock-like.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2018, 09:27:33 AM »
One thought that occurs to me, Martin, is that there should be a small signalbox built into the cutting side to control the junction. I'd try 'kit-bashing' the KESTREL KD12 SMALL SIGNAL BOX PLASTIC KIT N GAUGE KD12 one with the Ratio interior.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2018, 11:49:47 AM »
 :hellosign: Catching up with your thread Martin & wow  :thumbsup: looking really excellent, love that rock face, so lifelike
     regards Derek.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2018, 08:36:27 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone.
Chris-the signalbox is already in my plans.
A bit more work done today in between a bit of shopping then some digging in of manure at the allotment (some dry weather at long last).
Anyway, Iíve been doing some detailing around the two over bridges :

The next photograph is an overview of progress to date - including a start on the road over the hill:

And this is where the station will sit. Platforms still to be constructed:

No trains are actually running at the moment. Too much glue, grass, scatter and loose ballast around the track. However, the small prarie looks the part I think.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2018, 08:44:46 PM »
Superb :thumbsup: Difficult to believe it's in a small(ish) case.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2018, 09:08:39 PM »
I do apologise Martin for not posting earlier, but WOW all is looking really good.

As others have said, the rock faces are awesome, and all is coming together so well. I always look forward to seeing your progress, and your track / scenery relationship always looks so natural.

Thank you for sharing how fab it is getting to be

With all kindness and best wishes,
Kevin

:beers:

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2018, 09:29:19 PM »
One thought that occurs to me, Martin, is that there should be a small signalbox built into the cutting side to control the junction. I'd try 'kit-bashing' the KESTREL KD12 SMALL SIGNAL BOX PLASTIC KIT N GAUGE KD12 one with the Ratio interior.

Osborneís laser cut Lynton & Barnstaple one might be a good option too. Itís small and you specify the name on the name board for it when you order it.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2018, 09:36:09 PM »

Osborneís laser cut Lynton & Barnstaple one might be a good option too. Itís small and you specify the name on the name board for it when you order it.

I did look at the very nice little Lynton & Barnstaple signalbox but thought it was only available in 00 Gauge, plus, it is not a GWR design.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations