!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Tora Bora Line  (Read 17756 times)

Online LASteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
Re: The Tora Bora Line
« Reply #255 on: March 12, 2019, 02:31:42 AM »
Out of interest, does the oil train book have any information about the Fawley - Fort Dunlop run?

Offline Dizz

• N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #256 on: March 12, 2019, 11:11:09 AM »
Out of interest, does the oil train book have any information about the Fawley - Fort Dunlop run?
I will take a look this evening when I get home Steve and let you know.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #257 on: March 12, 2019, 09:28:02 PM »
Got the heat shrink hoses fitted.  Cant do any more now until the rigs are glued to the base board................

Lots of information about various rolling stock and operating procedures but nothing specific about the run you mentioned; in fact Fort Dunlop doesn't even appear in the index (neither does Brixham/Northfield Lane depot)

Online LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #258 on: March 12, 2019, 10:47:54 PM »
Lots of information about various rolling stock and operating procedures but nothing specific about the run you mentioned; in fact Fort Dunlop doesn't even appear in the index (neither does Brixham/Northfield Lane depot)
@Dizz - Thanks for checking. Back in the day we always waited on Saturdays for the northbound oil train from Fawley - it was a lot of train and there was usually a "Peak" hauling it - a rare sight in Hampshire.

Those hoses look great!

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #259 on: March 18, 2019, 11:32:02 PM »
Had a busy weekend again with no railway modelling time, but this evening I moved the fuel depot board onto a table in the middle of the man cave.  It will be much easier to work on now and I have made a start by getting a few Peco back scene sheets glued on and a coat of Woodland Scenics applied to the ply:

After a lot of consideration I have decided to go with the Dapol Easi-shunts for my uncoupling method.  I have come up with a cunning plan on which wagons will be fitted with the couplings and where the magnets will go.  I have bought enough gear to make a start fitting out the 4 fuel sidings and the 4 x 10 tanker rakes and now need to carry out at trial installation before I get stuck into track painting and ballasting.  In the mean time the search am looking for suitable barrier wagons with NEM pockets.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #260 on: March 22, 2019, 01:27:55 PM »
A little progress this week:
Using the balsa block method again to run along the back joint between baseboard and back scene.  Temporarily connected the board back up to the mainline for testing/checking clearances.  The idea is the spur running in front of the track opening will be forested with trees to hide the hole even more:

Lots of carving and sanding (plus a lot of balsa waste) to get some shape. Green and brown base coat with a layer of mixed fine turf before gluing in place. Am sure the spur concept will work when fully landscaped:

The cardboard tubes will get a layer of shaper sheet and plaster to make a hill and give a bit more relief in that area.

Test run of the Brixham Whippet

The station staff at Churston are getting excited: they are expecting a visit by a new diesel loco type later this afternoon  ;)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #261 on: March 22, 2019, 04:43:19 PM »
Are you planning to post a picture Pete?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #262 on: March 22, 2019, 04:54:30 PM »
Was going to Martin....intelligence suggests a diesel hydraulic may have been running light to Churston along the sea wall  :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:30:33 AM by Dizz »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #263 on: March 22, 2019, 04:57:25 PM »
Was going to Martin....intelligence suggests a diesel hydraulical may have been running light to Churston along the sea wall  :D
I believe that the local intelligence is correct.
I shall await your photo before I wrote any more.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #264 on: March 23, 2019, 01:48:28 AM »
Eddie and team enjoyed the view out into Lyme Bay on the run along the sea wall, first entering Kennaway Tunnel at Dawlish

and then easing the loco up to the permitted 75 mph between Parsons Tunnel and Teignmouth

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #265 on: March 23, 2019, 02:33:28 AM »
After the steep climb up from Goodrington the track briefly levels for Churston Station and the junction to Brixham. With the throttle closed Eddie allowed the new Hymek to coast under the road bridge into the down platform, past the Brixham Whippet simmering in the bay platform due to depart at t 14.25 having waited to provide a connection for the 14.15 Plymouth to Exeter service. A pannier tank with a short but colourful set of wagons was waiting in the Up cattle dock siding (visible on the far side with the train just out of shot), for the passenger train to come through before being released to shunt on to the main line.

Eddie gently applied the brakes, aiming to bring the loco to a stop exactly outside the Station Master's office.

Henry Woolston (Station Master) and Bob Cooper (Booking Clerk) had been looking forward to seeing the Hymek in the flesh and were stood on the platform waiting to greet the team.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #266 on: March 23, 2019, 07:15:49 AM »
Excellent photographs Pete

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #267 on: March 23, 2019, 07:26:57 AM »
Great pictures Pete, the oil terminal loading platforms are looking excellent

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #268 on: March 23, 2019, 08:51:38 AM »
Excellent photos. and a very good continuation of the story. Thanks, Pete. I look forward to seeing the departing train in due course.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #269 on: March 23, 2019, 09:54:51 AM »
Iíll attempt, later, to photograh the pannier with its colourful rake of wagons which can then be replicated along the sea wall with the Hymek.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal