!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Tora Bora Line  (Read 13173 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: The Tora Bora Line
« Reply #315 on: June 14, 2019, 12:00:36 PM »
Hope the dentist visit goes as well as can be expected, Pete. I'll be very interested to see your Hawthorne and Elderberry blossom effect and your Gorse and Rhodendron bushes that you made last night. I've tried to make both and, while the gorse came out quite well, the Rhodendron less so.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #316 on: June 14, 2019, 01:10:37 PM »
Probably lost a bit in the light and camera phone, but I used 4 different WS foliage colours and randomly sprinkled 3 different fine turf colours so there actually 12 different variations.

It's not fair!  You chaps are talking about the colour of trees and I'm waiting so patiently for my tennis ball to be thrown.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Dizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #317 on: June 14, 2019, 03:23:47 PM »
Buffy actually had her eye on 2 crows that had dared to land in her field😉

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #318 on: June 14, 2019, 03:45:08 PM »
On the way back up from overnight at Penzance the NMT did a run St Erth to St Ives and another Truro to Falmouth docks before heading home to the North East. Last seen just before lunch at Dawlish crossing a GWR Castle set on the 11.38 Exeter to Penzance.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #319 on: June 14, 2019, 10:22:09 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
   Many thanks for the updates Pete all looking really good. Love the HSTs always good to see both real & model, my Swallow liveried example is due a run soon.
    regards Derek.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #320 on: June 15, 2019, 01:49:04 AM »
:hellosign::greatpicturessign:
   Many thanks for the updates Pete all looking really good. Love the HSTs always good to see both real & model, my Swallow liveried example is due a run soon.
    regards Derek.
Thanks Derek.
Like a lot of people I have a thing for HSTs. I remember being very excited back in October 1978 when I had my first trip on a 125 from Paddington to Newton Abbot the first weekend home from College. Great servants to the railway but things move on. Waiting for the 800s to be produced in n gauge now.....could be a while!
Back to early 60s through running next week.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #321 on: June 15, 2019, 02:53:20 AM »
Great pic.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #322 on: June 15, 2019, 03:16:26 PM »
I also remember with great pleasure, the early days of the HSTs or InterCity 12's as they became known as. I remember a BR model showing that, originally, the bodyside horizontal stripe on the power car was to have been black and not BR Blue. It looked very good.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #323 on: July 08, 2019, 10:11:55 PM »
For one reason and another (had a bridge kit to laser cut, competed at 2 dog shows with Brian, gun dog training course and attended a judging seminar amongst other things) it has been a while since I have managed to do any scenic work in the man-cave...............however I have completed a few smaller tasks whilst on my travels like making some buildings for the fuel depot,

Have also put the finishing touches to quite a few wagons and kits, including a couple of "What's Neat This Week" containers:

I wanted to see how well MIcroSet/MicroSol solutions would pull my home-made waterslide transfers down onto the fine detail.  Have also applied some rather neat transfers from Cambridge Custom Transfers to customise GF PLVs to make them cycle vans.
Next in the hoist for the Sharkham Wagon Works are these lot. 

The Devon Belle observation car will be used on my Paignton and Dartmouth Steam Railway formations.  The Horsebox wagon will become a private dog wagon for Lord and Lady Churston to use when travelling "up the line".  The Shark kits are instead of the DJM RTR items I had on pre-order.  I intend to do mini kit reviews of the Sharks and Devon Belle idc.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 09:35:43 AM by Dizz »

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #324 on: July 08, 2019, 10:38:35 PM »
Back to reality.......
The cycle PMV that The South London Wheelers Club had chartered to Penzance via North Cornwall yesterday (see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=37718.msg577281#msg577281 )
had been worked on ex-GWR metals back to Newton Abbot where it was added to a short express goods bound for Bristol. 
Seen here at Parsons Tunnel is the interesting mix of empties returning to the north along with more "export" produce from South Devon.  The train is making good time in the extended evening light behind 4951 Pendeford Hall.

A little earlier in the day D7024 was used to pre-position a salvage train from Swindon to St Blazey depot.  This was a contingency move in case the 45 ton crane will be required to lift the whisky van wreckage at Cant Cove.  This will only happen once all the forensic investigations into the explosives used are complete and time is ticking with the  busy holiday period about to start..

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:02:06 PM by Dizz »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #325 on: July 09, 2019, 06:53:50 AM »
Thank you.
Excellent photographs Pete.
I really like the salvage train with the crane.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #326 on: July 09, 2019, 08:57:23 AM »
Thanks Martin. I admit the crane was a bit of an impulse buy after I saw the photos when it was released the other month. There are a few very minor and easily fixable niggles requiring my attention in due course (definitely needs some weight adding & the fixed couplings between the trucks need fettling), but I really like it too!
:D

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #327 on: July 09, 2019, 07:22:04 PM »
Great progress on the layout Pete, the oil sidings are looking great, like those underground tanks a lot.

I was lucky to see the NMT at Peterborough last year when we were travelling back from Cambridge, great to see it in the flesh.  I have the dapol set, augmented with coaches using Electra vinyls, your coaches look really good.

Great to see the spirits from Perthshire arrived safely too

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #328 on: July 09, 2019, 08:15:59 PM »
Thanks for the updates, Petes with the photos. I also wanted a DJM 'Shark' ballast brake van. However, I have a part-completed MNGS kit one which I will now have to get one with.I'll be interested how you get on with the 'Pullman' Observation Car kit as I am planning to get one for the "Cornish Belle" SR 'Pullman' train. Are you planning to make transfers for it?

A BR Standard horsebox for a dog wagon is a nice idea. Lord and Lady Trevelver's faithful hound always travels with them in their 1st Class compartment.

Alas, my Minitrix "Tullibardine" van is a write-off but I now have a spare chassis in good condition and roof.

The breakdown crane is, indeed, very impressive. Is it another Osborn's kit? I may buy one in the autumn.

No work to report on Cant Cove as I'm still tidying up my study are (done) and work area (not done). I think "The kit-bashed Station Hotel" Cant Cove will be on my plan for this summer, maybe also the loco. shed inspection pit followed by the actual shed building. I really should take some more train photos.

No parcels, yet. But, I'll go to the university, tomorrow, to see.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything