!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cala Cuina (a small Southern European layout)  (Read 442 times)

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cala Cuina (a small Southern European layout)
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 11:39:45 PM »
Hi all,

The fluffy things have been put away  ;) (filthy minds all of you, I dunno  :no:  :)) so on with a little more layout progress.

Have added the siding extension entrance and controller housing board. I'm still using the portable wine box controller for two reasons. Firstly I need to drill some holes in the new board for the wires and secondly it's a very good place to put my drink  :D.

Where the controller will go.....

20200216_221430 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

The siding extension entrance will have a small tunnel to hide a railcar at times as the track will one day go somewhere, the siding will be for freight only and I'll raise the platform, as they do on the Continent, for that purpose and any shunting can be in and out of the tunnel mouth, seen that done no problem.....

20200216_221443 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

I found an old map I did of Izaro which was for a previous layout of Tutera and Platja de Teixir which had to be dismantled but I've adapted it to include Sant Pau de Mar, which still exists on it's side in the railway room, and this 'kitchen' layout Cala Cuina. I've just taken a photo as our printer is broken so not sure if it'll be clear enough to get an idea of the geography.

Principality of Izaro map.....

20200216_221136 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

Everything is now situated in the rugged East of the peninsular and apologies for it being written in pen.....

20200216_221157 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr.

Will explain the places another time but will do a few train pics either later tonight or in the morn, see how I get on, but thanks for watching.

Cheers weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 01:04:28 AM by weave »

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 11:49:32 PM »
Just caught up with this, Chris. Good one!   :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 11:01:46 AM »
Cala Cuina 1959 -

In 1959 a Consortium of hoteliers from the Costa Blanca arrive in Cala Cuina. Alejandro Pérez, who has a number of hotels in Alicante, had been alerted the previous year to the growing interest by the Government of Izaro for the development of tourism on the peninsular.

After successful discussions with the Department of Tourism, major development of Santandria was approved and Alejandro has now formed this Consortium to view his exciting plan and hopefully provide funds. Izaro has much lower taxes than Spain and also Government funding options so the train is full with similarly excited businessmen.

The Eastern end of the Principality is very rugged and not particularly accessible but there is a dual gauge, single track, mainly freight railway line from Estepera to Pont Castell with a link to the vineyards around Llimiana. Alejandro will explain all of this and his transport plans at a Champagne breakfast to be held at a rarely used upstairs room at Cala Cuina's station building.

The Consortium have travelled up overnight on the all first class 'La Luna Oriental' from Cartagena to Barcelona with through day coaches to Sant Cristofol, Estepera and Pont Castell. Transferring from their sleepers at Barcelona  to the luxury Butacas lounge cars and Pullman car of the Compania de los Ferrocarriles Andalus, Alejandro is pleased that train is being hauled by the new and therefore more modern 1800 series of diesel locomotives.......

20200216_221511 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20200216_221857 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

The 1800 series of locomotives arrived in Spain from America in 1958 to be used on express and freight trains in the mountainous region of Galicia in North West Spain but in 1959 four were allocated to the Valencia region and for Rule 1 purposes a further two to Izaro.

He is also delighted, as they arrived at Cala Cuina, to see the Champagne wagon he had arranged sitting in the siding. He presumed some were already chilling in the meeting room and the rest were being transported to his hotel in Santandria. The Consortium would be here for a few days and he hoped that there would be plenty of toasting to be done........

20200216_221910 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20200216_221948 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

20200216_222123 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

As their luggage was unloaded to be forwarded by road to Santandria, the Consortium sat down to their Champagne breakfast before Alejandro started his presentation. The reason for holding the first meeting at the station was to explain his plans for 'doing up' Cala Cuina and the logistics of the local area......

20200216_222152 by Christopher Weaver, on Flickr

To be continued.....

Bit long winded (and more to come) but hard to justify and explain one oval of track  :D.

Thanks for watching.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:13:26 AM by weave »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 11:39:41 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
  Thanks Chris, following with interest
          regards Derek

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 09:49:10 AM »
Thanks for the updates Chris.
Scanning the forum quickly as we’re stuck in London.
We were supposed to return yesterday but Mrs PP developed a really nasty sickness and diahorreah bug so we’ll either travel back home today or possibly Wednesday.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 10:47:57 PM »
Thanks Martin @port perran ,

Hope nothing too serious and that Mrs PP is feeling better.

Also I hope you didn't tell her that you'd posted her symptoms on here because Mrs weave would have put me in A&E if I'd done the same :D.

Safe trip home  :thumbsup:.

PS Did you see the end of the EFL Trophy semi final? Don't mention it as you go through Exeter  :no:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 10:50:23 PM by weave »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2020, 07:50:00 AM »
A truly remarkable finish and well done Pompey.
Reminds me of City at Mansfield about 20 years ago in a League One match. City were losing 4-2 in the 89th minute and went on to win 5-4.
All great fun.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal