!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Introducing the Long Valley Industrial Railroad  (Read 8320 times)

Offline texhorse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Introducing the Long Valley Industrial Railroad
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2020, 07:44:15 PM »

Don't forget the added joy of paying Pennsylvania State Sales Tax for an online purchase.

Hi Maurice, I found on big ticket items purchased online, plus PA Sales Tax and shipping, the purchase is still less expensive than the MSRP charged at my local hobby shop. Yes I do enjoy walking through my local hobby shop and seeing first hand what is available, but I cannot justify spending almost double the price for locomotives at the local hobby shop vs. online prices.  When it comes to the smaller ticket items like scenery items and rolling stock the online shops no longer have an advantage over the local hobby shop. The exception to the above statement at my local hobby shop is DCC decoders and Micro-Trains trucks and couplers. My local hobby shop has a very poor selection of DCC decoders and Micro-Trains trucks and couplers. I've found for those items Yankee Dabbler has some great prices and fast shipping.

Here is a list of some of the online shops I've been using.

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/
https://www.nscalesupply.com/
https://www.trainworld.com/
https://yankeedabbler.com/

All we can do now is hope the 2021 Altoona N scale weekend does not get cancelled. I've been trying to talk Dats into attending this show for a few years now. Hopefully we can all meet in Altoona next year.

We had this conversation a couple of weeks ago, didn't we Rich?  Visiting your local model railroad shop is a fascinating and worthwhile experience.  It's just a shame that the prices you pay in the shop is more often than not, more expensive than the price you will pay online.

Very very sad state of affairs.  It will be a sad day when we can only make online purchases, and there are no model shops to visit any more.

Andy
UK
Stay Safe My Friends

PS, I know Vinny of BNSF 6951 Youtube channel has a lot of good things to say about Yankee Dabbler too.
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2020, 01:52:56 PM »

We had this conversation a couple of weeks ago, didn't we Rich?  Visiting your local model railroad shop is a fascinating and worthwhile experience.  It's just a shame that the prices you pay in the shop is more often than not, more expensive than the price you will pay online.

Very very sad state of affairs.  It will be a sad day when we can only make online purchases, and there are no model shops to visit any more.

Andy
UK
Stay Safe My Friends

PS, I know Vinny of BNSF 6951 Youtube channel has a lot of good things to say about Yankee Dabbler too.

HI Andy, Yes we were just talking about this unfortunate side of the hobby.  One of the odd facts about online shops, most of them I've dealt with do have a brick and mortar location. Yankee Dabblers brick and mortar shop is in New Jersey, MB Klein (Model Train Stuff) is in Maryland, Train World / Train Land is in New York City and N scale Supply is in Colorado. MB Klein did state last year they were closing their walk in shop in order to expand their online business. They basically said, during a normal business day only a handful of people entered the Brick and Mortar shop, but Thousands of people ordered from the Online shop. This sadly is life in the internet age, when you can purchase products online from anywhere in the world. I've purchased New Old Stock Kato locomotive online from a site in Japan that had free shipping to the US (this was pre COVID-19) What makes things worse for the small "Mom & Pop" hobby shops is several manufacturers have instituted "MAP" pricing.  If an Mom & Pop hobby shop is found selling below the Minimum Advertised Pricing, the manufacturer and / or distributor will no longer ship products to that store and believe it or not, the several manufactures do visit and price shop local hobby shops. I've met Alex from Kato USA at Esther's Hobby Shop and gave him some suggestions for future products. Now it's a different story with the large online shops, because of the volume of sales they are a little more in the drivers seat than "Mom & Pop" shops. The large online shops do try and appease the manufactures and distributors by advertising MAP pricing on the web page, but then show you the discounted price once the item is placed in your shopping cart. From the way I see it, part of the fall of the local hobby shops is manufacturers and distributors who act as if it's still the 1950 and everyone purchases their hobby wants at local hobby shops. Even though those companies enjoy the large volume sales from the online shops, they refuse to release their strangle hold on the local hobby shops.
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2020, 08:30:50 PM »
At the risk of further detracting from your layout thread @Rich_S you are of course correct on the value of Mom & Pop shops, places like that always have a little gem tucked away and to be honest, even if you buy from the big box shifters, by the time you add the shipping, you are probably just as well going to your local HS, and it's more fun.
Right, that's my last comment on it, we really must get back to your layout  ;)

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2020, 02:26:50 PM »
At the risk of further detracting from your layout thread @Rich_S you are of course correct on the value of Mom & Pop shops, places like that always have a little gem tucked away and to be honest, even if you buy from the big box shifters, by the time you add the shipping, you are probably just as well going to your local HS, and it's more fun.
Right, that's my last comment on it, we really must get back to your layout  ;)

Hi Lawrence, Not much happening on the Long Valley Branch currently, so I'll reply to your comment. In my personal experience and unfortunate for the Mom & Pop Hobby Shops,  when it comes to purchasing the high price items like locomotives, the price of the locomotive plus shipping, and state sales tax is still less expensive than purchasing the same locomotive at my Local Hobby Shop. A perfect example is the Atlas SD60E that is currently available through one of the online shops. My Local Hobby Shop price for that model is $259.95 + State Sales Tax brings the purchase price up to $275.54. The current online price for this same locomotive is $169.99, a cost savings of $89.96 over the MAP price for that locomotive. Now when you factor in the Shipping price of $8.22 and State Sales Tax $10.20, that is still a savings of  $71.54. This is why MAP pricing is killing the Local Hobby Shops, with that savings I can purchase a few freight cars along with that locomotive, whereas if I purchased that locomotive at my Local Hobby Shop, that would be the only thing I could afford to purchase. Yes it's great to walk thought the Local Hobby Shop and view all the items on the shelves, but as prices continue to rise faster than my pay, I'm forced to shop online to try and stretch my hobby budget. This is just the unfortunate side of life in the world today, I really enjoy the internet and belonging to a forum where I can talk with people from different countries and meet people who I'd otherwise never had met ( Hi Andy  :wave: ) who share the same hobby as me. But sadly paying my monthly service fee to my internet provider subtracts from my hobby budget, now more than ever I need to make my hobby budget stretch as far as possible. 
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2020, 10:13:25 AM »
Hi Rich.  Remember Horseshoe Curve....... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Er Sorry.....

You could do what I did in my last MHRR video and just run a train on the layout, if nothing else has been happening.  A video of that would be great!  Then you could post here saying something along the lines of "Here's my latest video....."

Just an idea Mate!

Andy
UK
Stay Safe My Friends
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2020, 01:58:16 PM »
Hi Rich.  Remember Horseshoe Curve....... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Er Sorry.....

You could do what I did in my last MHRR video and just run a train on the layout, if nothing else has been happening.  A video of that would be great!  Then you could post here saying something along the lines of "Here's my latest video....."

Just an idea Mate!

Andy
UK
Stay Safe My Friends

Hi Andy,
    I've been thinking about it, but don't expect anything fancy like you and Dats produce. It will probably be a low lit, poorly focused video with some hillbilly mumbling in the background  :smiley-laughing:  :laugh:
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: July 12, 2020, 04:29:23 PM »
"Don't expect anything fancy like you and Dats produce...."

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Oh you were being serious.  Er, OK, Thank you for the compliment!  I always assume people like watching the Montrose and Highland Railroad videos to encourage them to see that their layouts are often better than ones which we publish on Youtube!!!!

Andy
UK
Stay Safe My Friends
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2020, 03:07:28 PM »
Here you go Andy and Dats, try not to laugh too hard  :D

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2020, 10:13:09 AM »
Hi Rich

Why would we laugh?  You should take a look at MHRR 1 sometime if you want to look at someone with terrible camera skills!

I enjoyed watching the Penn Central local going through.  Have you considered a simple backdrop of trees round the back of the layout, where you did your runround?  I can send you an email with the backdrop as an attachment if you'd find that useful?  Print them out and paste them to the wall!

Anyway, Thank you for sharing your layout Rich!

Andy
UK
Stay Safe My Friends
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

Offline BradC

• Chainswords Page Chains Word and Chains World
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2020, 01:42:09 PM »
Wow texhorse, that layout looks huge for just being on a door, great use of space!  The running system looks amazing.

Great work!
www.chainswords.com to follow the progress of my layout construction

Offline Maurice

• Awards
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2020, 02:41:03 PM »
You know, I think I need a Penn Central green boxcar or two on my layout. May have to cover the PC reporting marks and change to CR but keep the paint scheme. Like that one with the aluminum roof. Thanks for the inspiration.
Cheers!
Maurice

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2020, 03:04:56 PM »

Have you considered a simple backdrop of trees round the back of the layout, where you did your runround? 

Andy
UK
Stay Safe My Friends

Hi Andy, The location where the runaround move was made is the Midland Interchange Yard. 

Yes, I am considering a backdrop for that area, but first I need to attach a backboard to the layout as the wife does not want anything glued or taped to the walls.
You know the old saying, "Happy Wife, Happy Life" and since she's not thrown me to the curb yet, I think I'll grant her wishes  :)

Eventually I want to put a backdrop behind the Midland Interchange yard and the hillside that contains both the Sliding Hill Tunnel and the Aching Back tunnel.

Here is the track schematic for reference.

Thanks for not laughing too hard at my low tech video  :smiley-laughing: 
When I have a little more time, I may try to upload a follow up video of the local switching the industries in Long Valley.
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #147 on: July 14, 2020, 03:10:59 PM »
You know, I think I need a Penn Central green boxcar or two on my layout. May have to cover the PC reporting marks and change to CR but keep the paint scheme. Like that one with the aluminum roof. Thanks for the inspiration.
Cheers!
Maurice

Hi Maurice, The PC boxcar with the aluminum roof is an Atlas car. The two PC boxcars seen at Snyder Box are from Bachmann and ESM. Thanks for watching the video and your welcome for the inspiration, I think? I have to warn you, that is how it all started with me. Just one PC boxcar and before you knew it the entire layout was taken over by the Penn Central  :smiley-laughing:  :laugh3:
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2020, 03:11:52 PM »
Wow texhorse, that layout looks huge for just being on a door, great use of space!  The running system looks amazing.

Great work!

Thank you for the compliments.
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2020, 03:34:29 PM »
Hi BradC

I can't take any credit at all for this layout, as it belongs to Rich!

Andy
UK
Stay Safe My Friends
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118%