!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)  (Read 12306 times)

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)
« Reply #165 on: October 06, 2019, 08:52:30 PM »
The Caledonian Sleeper is delayed so often I think it can be seen just about everywhere in daylight at sometime or other!

Pairs of 86s on FL workings, so no excuses for not running at least 30 flats. I can vicariously enjoy full length trains on your layout! ;)

Offline RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: October 06, 2019, 08:59:23 PM »
 I will have to make the 30' blue boxes myself though.

Maybe time to invest in a 3D printer John? You could download the .STL files for 20' bins from here and here.
 :beers:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #167 on: October 06, 2019, 09:07:38 PM »
You can't download STLs from Shapeways, merely buy prints. Those are designed by Vonzack of this parish, I've got some of his KTAs, KFAs and FEAs and they're very nice models though. Not a cheap way to fill an entire train however!

Offline RailGooner

• Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2019, 09:11:16 PM »
You can't download STLs from Shapeways, merely buy prints. Those are designed by Vonzack of this parish, I've got some of his KTAs, KFAs and FEAs and they're very nice models though. Not a cheap way to fill an entire train however!

Without any fanfare that I've seen, Shapeways seem to have introduced the option of purchasing .STL files:
Download the .STL file
Looking to print on your own printers? Purchase a digital version of this file instead.
Download now for $9.99
Source
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 09:15:51 PM by RailGooner, Reason: added source of Shapeways quote »
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2019, 09:11:57 PM »
Oops, sorry! That's new I think! Obviously you can choose to make your designs available. Mea culpa!

Edit: although where are you seeing that? "STL" doesn't seem to appear on either of the pages you linked to? Could be really interested in that if it's a common feature!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 09:13:36 PM by njee20 »

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2019, 11:57:43 PM »
 I will have to make the 30' blue boxes myself though.

Maybe time to invest in a 3D printer John? You could download the .STL files for 20' bins from here and here.
 :beers:

Yes, thanks for the links.

The only trouble is that the containers used have subtle differences. The Manc ones have the V shape at the end, some of the others have a panel for a logo, and the Edinburgh ones aren't quite the same on the sides and possibly the ends.

We'll be back in Manchester over Christmas to see my son's family and I've already made sure that I have permission for a train day all by myself. Mainly to take detailed photos of Wallgate and North Western, but I also intend to time it right to get some shots of the binliner containers.

I do have a Silhouette cutter and I'm thinking that I could cut out the ribbing from plastic card and overlay it on a plain 20' box. I'm also thinking of commissioning someone to do a 3D model but as a kit, maybe that would be cheaper. Even through Shapeways in the US they still work out at almost $10 per box.

Maybe Arran could do a kit with 3 or 4 different sets of overlays so that the buyer could do Manchester, Edinburgh, Bristol, or Knowsley.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline RailGooner

• Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: October 07, 2019, 12:09:54 AM »
Yes, thanks for the links.

The notion of downloading the .STL file is a bust now John, turns out it was just a trial of possible future features.

Maybe Arran could do a kit with 3 or 4 different sets of overlays so that the buyer could do Manchester, Edinburgh, Bristol

You had me at Bristol. I'm in! :D But let's not distract Arran from the FTA/FSA container wagons! :no:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 12:12:02 AM by RailGooner »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #172 on: October 07, 2019, 12:28:08 AM »
john

there are selections of knowsley wilton binliner train close up on google search if clicks the images once typed in the search bar
and also type flickr after knowsley wilton binliner train
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 08:57:16 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #173 on: October 07, 2019, 07:40:53 AM »
I'm also thinking of commissioning someone to do a 3D model but as a kit, maybe that would be cheaper. Even through Shapeways in the US they still work out at almost $10 per box.

A 3D kit would be markedly harder to make than a full box with virtually no advantages. Should be easy enough to draw one up though! What are you doing about the wagons though, as they use FCAs, which aren’t available.

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #174 on: October 07, 2019, 02:34:12 PM »
I was planning on using the Revs KFA's. But the Dapol Spines may be more appropriate.

I may have to resort to rule 1.

Regards,

John P

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #175 on: October 13, 2019, 09:41:53 PM »
I've made a start on my 4 track lifting section. I ordered some PCB strip board and some adjustable feet for my baseboard legs and once they arrived I started work.

The adjustable feet.

I wish I'd thought of these when I was building the rest of the baseboards as it would have made dealing with the sloping floor much easier.

First I made a 4' by 8" baseboard frame, with adjustable feet at the end where the lifting section will be. My first task was to line it up at the correct angle to get the track laid properly for the 2 track mainline to widen out to 6 tracks.

I lined up the frame and used a cross piece of 2x1 timber to hold it in place at the correct angle.

Then I cut out the XPS on the adjacent board so that I could lay a piece of 8" wide XPS across the gap between the baseboards.

I also left a gap at the other end so that the track at this end can be supported on the strip board attached to MDF.

So far so good.

I then added a piece of 2x1 and 4x1 to the frame to support the MDF top. The 4x1 piece was made to overhang to support the lifting section.

Then the MDF top was added and the adjustable feet used to ensure all was level at this end.

Next I'll build another 4' x 8" frame with adjustable feet at both ends, this will be semi permanently attached to this board so that I can get the lifting section to work.

I'll leave it attached until I get to connect the rest of the new boards to the existing layout, hopefully by then there won't be much movement of baseboards to deal with.

I also got another box of track and more large radius code 55 points so that I can complete the mainline run.

Regards,

John P

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #176 on: October 25, 2019, 11:01:28 PM »
All my baseboards for the mainline are now complete. I decided that it would be better to get everything in place before I tried to line up the lifting section. This was just as well as even though I thought I'd stuck to my plan there's a big gap where the two ends don't meet.

Here's the lifting section.

I've yet to add the PCB strip board.

And with the plan laid out on top.

The gap.

This is a section of plane line so adjusting the track won't be an issue.

And finally some shots of the overall view from this corner of the layout.

Next I'm laying track on the mainline to make a start on Golborne Junction. This will allow the main to go from 2 to 4 tracks, before it hits the lifting section.

I have all the points I need but I've had to order more point motors and another NCE Switch 8 to control them all.

They'll take longer to get here from US retailers than my points did from Hattons  ???

It won't be long now before trains are running again :claphappy:

Regards,

John P

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2019, 11:17:51 PM »
Look forward to seeing golborne junction. Even the best layouts take time. Look forward to your progress

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2019, 02:09:04 AM »
wow this is going to be some layout.

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2019, 03:38:02 AM »
wow this is going to be some layout.

Thanks,

I’m not looking forward to the ballasting though. :doh:

John P

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal