!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Standards dropping?  (Read 7030 times)

Offline Graham Walters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26013
  • Yes I support United...
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.co.uk
    • Awards
Dapol Standards dropping?
« on: November 12, 2017, 10:23:19 PM »
I've put the question mark there because it has in my experience has to be asked.

As a retailer I try to test all the loco's I sell before they go on the shelf, if all is well they get the shop stamp in the warranty section.
In the last week I have to return two loco's both steam, one a Southern Schools Class, the other a GWR  Class 38XX.

In the case of the schools class the word 'Southern' on the tender was askew, and appeared to be smudged, and you have to wonder why the person doing the printing didn't notice it at the time.

The GWR was a little different, I'm not 100% sure what the issue was, not only did it make a horrible noise that sounded like gears grinding, ( I did check the drive shaft several times) but it was also very erratic.

Needless to say both were returned to the supplier.

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with Dapol stock ?
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

You can visit us Tues - Fri 11am - 5:00pm Thurs Late Night until 10:00pm  Sat 9am - 5:00pm
Unit 404, The Commercial Centre. Picket Piece. Andover SP11 6RU

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Standards dropping?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 10:48:30 AM »
Judging trends from a small sample size is always a statistical minefield as one or two outliers can badly skew your results. I haven't heard of a more general increase in faults but anything is possible.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 11:31:07 PM »
Only two?

Small enough to be statistically insignificant.

Likewise my 100% failure rate of three wobbly Farish 4MT tanks sent back to Hattons.

As to smudges on the loco etc, the Chinese workers who assemble these things are paid a pittance.  What is remarkable isn't the proportion that are wrong, but the proportion they get RIGHT.

Les

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 10:36:23 AM »
I have only ever had one Dapol steamer year before last (Gladiateur). It was a disaster, wheels jamming, horrible noises from the tender drive. I don’t like the through shaft arrangement, the tender did not seem to have enough weight to counteract the torque.,

I resolved to never buy Dapol steam again and have used Grafar ever since. However, I have certainly had my fair share of faulty Grafars as well, probably 50 % of them bought from Hattons have had problems out of the box and have been replaced. The only reason I have not re-tried Dapol is because of the tender drive method they have adopted.

I now need another LNER loco and due to the scarcity of these in the Grafar range I am considering a Dapol A4. Most of the reviews of that loco date from 2016, and the photo does not appear to show a tender shaft drive, so I think maybe this loco has now been redesigned with that drive and so may not be the same as (favourably) reviewed. The most recent reviews (probably of the tender drive version) are not good.

So can anyone give me a heads up on the Current A4?

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 11:16:18 AM »
Hi Bramshot

I have a recent model Dapol A4 with the tender shaft drive and it runs just fine and is a good puller. Mind you, that was try number 2 as the first one delivered had a tangled valve gear. The Dapol A4 is a beautiful model and is certainly worth having, but don't be shy on a return if things aren't 100%.

Webbo

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 11:44:14 AM »
I'm no great fan of Dapol locos be they steam or diesel, but once I'd sorted a small front pony truck problem with my A4 it is certainly the best of the 25 Dapol locos I have.

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 12:02:43 PM »
Thanks guys.  I am currently supporting my local model shop by buying from them despite being £25 more expensive than big H, but at least he runs them before selling them, so I would hope to avoid tangled valve gear.  That was the prob with Gladiateur as well.
They certainly look the part in their boxes!
Time to take the plunge!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 12:47:46 PM »
...I am considering a Dapol A4. Most of the reviews of that loco date from 2016, and the photo does not appear to show a tender shaft drive, so I think maybe this loco has now been redesigned with that drive and so may not be the same as (favourably) reviewed.

I'm not a UK outline modeller, but I didn't think Dapol made (m)any tender locos with the motor in the boiler?  All the ones I've seen since the Q1 (wasn't that the first tender loco they did?) have been shaft drive from the tender.

Shaft drive has been used perfectly successfully by other manufacturers.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 01:57:04 PM »
The Dapol online shop site still shows the B17 and Flying Scotsman locos without any mention of tender drive, while the new online catalogue shows them both as being tender drive, so I assume they are gradually introducing it to all their tendered locos, unless it was simply an omission on the old site. I notice that the old site does show the A4 with tender drive, so maybe it has always been that way.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 06:12:09 PM »
"tender drive" usually mean the wheels of the tender are geared and driven, and there's no drive at all to the loco wheels. 

As I mentioned earlier, all the Dapol tender locos I've seen have the motor in the tender but are shaft drive to the loco wheels.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 06:13:08 PM »
The Dapol online shop site still shows the B17 and Flying Scotsman locos without any mention of tender drive, while the new online catalogue shows them both as being tender drive, so I assume they are gradually introducing it to all their tendered locos, unless it was simply an omission on the old site. I notice that the old site does show the A4 with tender drive, so maybe it has always been that way.
All Dapol N gauge tender locos (with the exception of the most recent release - the SR Schools) are and always have been configured with the motor mounted in the tender driving the LOCO wheels via a Cardan shaft.

This is NOT tender drive, unlike the contemporary Farish models (e.g. Black 5, Jubilee, B1, A1, A2) which are Tender drive i.e. the tender wheels are driven and the loco freewheels pushed by the tender...

The Dapol arrangement is generally considered superior and is preferred by finescale and scratchbuilders. The 'locking wheels' you are concerned about are more a symptom associated with the (Farish style) true tender drive & push along loco...

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 06:27:47 PM »
All Dapol N gauge tender locos (with the exception of the most recent release - the SR Schools) are and always have been configured with the motor mounted in the tender driving the LOCO wheels via a Cardan shaft.
Are you sure about the Schools:  Dapol web site says:
The Dapol model of the Schools Class of locomotive features:
◦Finely moulded body and tender with many separately added fine details
◦DCC Ready
◦DCC fitted Models available with Gaugemaster DC23 decoder
◦Cast wheels with fine relief and appropriate colouring
Dapol’s tender drive system that delivers power to the locomotive wheels

Interesting that even Dapol refer to it as "tender drive" which you and I both would argue it isn't.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:32:43 PM by ntpntpntp »

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 09:24:13 PM »
I'm no great fan of Dapol locos be they steam or diesel, but once I'd sorted a small front pony truck problem with my A4 it is certainly the best of the 25 Dapol locos I have.

Nobby,

If you've got an A4 with a pony truck you need to send it back - it should have a 4 wheel front bogie! (Only joking).

My A4 runs well and pulls well too (if a bit noisy, compared to all my Farish locos), but I wish I had the nerve to do something about the trailing Cartazzi truck, which wobbles like fury at any sort of speed. My Farish A1 and A2 have better representations of the trailing truck which behave better too.

But for looks it's great - got to have an A4.

Regards,

Roy

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 09:31:27 PM »
Are you sure about the Schools:
Oops sorry yes Schools is still "old school" with the motor in the Tender isn't it...  :doh:  :-[ was thinking of the 'paused' WC/BOB which was to have the motor in the loco body...

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 10:29:02 PM »
My experience of Dapol steamers is:

A 9F - beautifully modelled, runs well. However:
1) I had to mess around with the pony truck to get it to stay on the track.
2) It is, by far, the worst loco I own for slipping, being unable to cope with more than 5 carriages or a short freight train on the flat. I shall have to investigate if it is possible to add some weight in the boiler.
3) The motor is quite a bit noisier than my plastic geared, Graham-Farish locos.

A Brittania  :censored: - again beautifully modelled, but a nightmare:
1) When first tested in November - incredibly noisy, jamming, twisting tender off the track. Sent to DCC Supplies, declared unrepairable. Finally replaced by Dapol in January and then only when chased.
2) Replacement just the same. Had to return it to Dapol. Chasing up finally got a replacement a month later.
3) Replacement was wrong loco (A4). Had to return it to Dapol. Chasing up finally got a replacement a month later.
4) Replacement was quite noisy, but I thought it might quieten with running in. Hadn't time to do so, so left it for a week. On starting again, motor shaft spun in plastic coupling, with no grip whatsoever. Applied a drop of Loctite to stop spinning. Left it until the next day. On start-up it ran 6' and locked up. Similar, but not completely locking, to symptoms of the previous ones.

:'(

I haven't yet got up the enthusiasm to contact them and return it yet again.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 10:31:12 PM by stevewalker »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £327.00
Above Goal: £272.00
Site Currency: GBP
595% 
December Donations

Advertise Here