!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Train Waiting's Trains Waiting (and, occasionally, moving)  (Read 19423 times)

Offline Young Bulla

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Train Waiting's Trains Waiting (and, occasionally, moving)
« Reply #390 on: February 01, 2020, 01:00:41 AM »
Better late than never with this one, did ponder starting a new thread with the title "what I did on my holidays" by Young Bulla aged 55&3/4 or something along those lines, but here seems to be the place for it.
Was back over for Christmas just gone, just me, Mrs Bulla and the woof-monsters staying with our daughter, prospective son-in-law and their woof-monsters. All well and good over Christmas, boxing day, oh-no-not-turkey-again day but by new year's day I needed a day out.

Cue the Manchester day ranger ticket - nine pounds buys you the (off-peak) freedom of Greater Madchester by rail and tram for the day and new year's day being a bank holiday so no time restrictions and technically a normal weekday service and all those new trains I was drawn in like curry to a drunkard! Come on, what could possibly to wrong?
So out the door and down to Aston-U-Lyne station and prepare to do battle with the ticket machine, yep, not listed, so permit to travel ticket in hand I boarded the train to Stalybridge and bought my ticket off the guard.

Goody thought I, some trans-penning stop here,might get something new to take me to Victoria, nope.

Fairs fair, it was a refurbished unit and very comfortable and arrived just before the tram for Bury,so quickly took above shot and set off for the East Lanc's Railway, arriving at Bolton St just in time to see an empty platform and no train for nearly two hours.  Would have waited but as it was usually getting dark just after three I beat a retreat back to the tram, just in time to miss it.
Fifteen frozen fingered minutes later and I'm back in the game, straight through to Piccadilly and boarded the train to Romiley via Belle Vue, the idea being I could catch the return via Hyde - didn't happen.

Sooooo, as my luck with just jumping on the first train that stopped within the ticketing boundaries was showing no sign of changing yet I carried on regardless to Stockport!

Yay! Yes, first time on a pendolino, followed by the one you can see in the background.  Apparently it had been diverted off the WCML and next stop Wigan.
Was starting to think things were looking up, even if progress was on the slow side of sedate, even looked on the positive side that at least I could order a cup of tea and get back to my seat in the time we were stationary at Oxford rd to allow a pacer through in front of us.  Then more 'fun', flat battery in camera!
Sorry but you will just have to take my word on changing at Wigan North western to a Bolton bound 142/150 combination from Wallgate, change to a 150/153 combination to Rochdale, by which time it was dark and very chilly waiting the half an hour for a train back to Victoria.
What to do now? It was approaching six o'clock and even the prospect of a cold turkey butty was a temptation too much, so a quick perusal of the departures showed a train to Stalybridge arriving on the platform I was on arriving in five minutes, even more promising was the note on the bottom of the screen explaining northern tickets not accepted on this service. Joy of joys it turned out to be a 68 hauled nova - exactly what I'd set out to 'cop'  in the first place.
Ten minutes later and I'm off the train at Stalybridge, the train ready to depart and I've one very slim chance to pull something back, I reached into my coat, pull the dud camera battery out from where I was warming it up under my armpit, insert battery,switch on and.....

Wasn't enough juice left to preview it, let alone get a shot of yet another 150 combo that took me back to Ashton!
Thirty minutes later and a rummage through the fridge back at my daughter's house, fresh battery in the camera and reviewing what I'd phot'ed I saw this little montage.

First time in a week all four of them on the bed-ish at once!
I was considering going back out for more, however someone passed me a large glass of milk of amnesia and that Ladies and gentlemen was that.
So, despite the run of bad karma I really did enjoy my day out. For the mileage I had out of nine pounds (7 if you leave the tram out but still valid for them in the city centre zone) and the potential to have travelled further it was money well spent.
Stan.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #391 on: February 01, 2020, 08:31:56 AM »
Excellent!  Thank you very much.

And thank you for posting it here.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #392 on: February 01, 2020, 08:39:32 AM »
What an adventure!

Great pics, great story. Thanks for posting!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #393 on: February 01, 2020, 08:55:06 AM »
Wot they said. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #394 on: February 01, 2020, 09:28:26 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
     A truly superb way to spend the day,  :thumbsup:
          regards Derek,

Offline Young Bulla

• Awards
« Reply #395 on: February 02, 2020, 10:34:41 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments, link below for the rail only ticket, ask the issuer about tram and bus additions.

http://www.railrover.org/pages/greater-manchester-rail-ranger.html

Usual disclaimer applies, just very happy tightwad/customer!

Next 'Cheapskate Challenge'? How about this-

https://www.translink.co.uk/usingtranslink/specialoffers/sundaydaytracker

Actually had to do some forward planning for this as Sunday services are somewhat scarce, but by my reckoning I can get Ballymoney- Derry/Londonderry - Portrush - Bangor - Newry (enterprise service) - Whitehead - Ballymoney return. Only the section between Whitehead and Larne short of the whole system and that's only because of one train leaving minutes before my arrival.
 Twelve hours of potential missed connections and botty-ache!
Probably be later in the year when we get lighter nights, though patience is not one of my strong points.

All the best
Stan

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #396 on: February 13, 2020, 02:47:33 PM »
Mrs PP and I recently enjoyed a short break in Teignmouth.
Waiting for our train home on Tuesday afternoon, this rather colourful diesel thingy passed through Teignmouth sration headed for Exeter Riverside Yard.

Any yes, on Tuesday afternoon the sky really was that colour.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #397 on: February 13, 2020, 04:22:35 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
  Thanks Martin
     regards Derek.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #398 on: February 14, 2020, 07:17:58 PM »
Mrs PP and I recently enjoyed a short break in Teignmouth.
Waiting for our train home on Tuesday afternoon, this rather colourful diesel thingy passed through Teignmouth sration headed for Exeter Riverside Yard.

Any yes, on Tuesday afternoon the sky really was that colour.

Super photograph, Martin and a perfect description of the thingy.

Before reading your text, I thought that it was a Peco backscene!  Surely, even in glorious Devon, the February sky could not be that colour.  Turned out it was!

Many thanks and best wishes.

John
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 07:22:03 PM by Train Waiting »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #399 on: February 14, 2020, 11:57:44 PM »
Cool pic!  :thumbsup:

You sure you haven't photoshopped the sky?  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #400 on: February 15, 2020, 02:33:09 PM »
 :hellosign:

Another of those Diesel things hard at work on Real Replacement at St Erth station, looking West from the station over bridge. The sky is real West Country as we are getting battered by Dennis, very wet & windy.
    regards Derek.

Offline Bingley Hall

• N Gauge Society Number: 21700
    • Awards
« Reply #401 on: February 27, 2020, 01:41:14 AM »
Taken 11 months ago, Genesee & Wyoming Australia narrow gauge (3'6") locos 905/873//850/1203 advance slowly beneath the grain loading bins at at Cummins on South Australia's Eyre Peninsula on Wednesday 27 March 2019. Loading the 61 wagon train (4AE2), bound for export via Port Lincoln, will take about two hours, an efficiency lost when the task was transferred to road upon closure of the rail network at the end of May 2019.

Cummins (1) by Bingley Hall, on Flickr

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal