!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Windmill Hill. A busy little layout in a compact little case.  (Read 47457 times)

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Windmill Hill. A busy little layout in a compact little case.
« Reply #1005 on: December 18, 2018, 06:10:07 PM »

Reminds me of a certain film starring Sir Michael Caine!

Some excellent pictures Kevin which really show off your modelling.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1006 on: December 19, 2018, 07:14:51 AM »
Thanks for the link Kevin, great link, I found what I am looking for (unlike Bono).... lots of pics from new angles too, lovely stuff!

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1007 on: December 19, 2018, 06:06:09 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks guys for your comments  :D I must get some little gold bars to put in the back of the bus, David, or at least put a burnt out van with no doors somewhere  ;D

Also thank you Leon. So glad you liked the video. I don't think Steven Spielberg has anything to worry about yet  :no:

So what happened to the backscene ? ? ?

The baseboard my layout is built on is quite a snug fit in the case, and numpty that I am, I forgot to take into account the added dimensions that the backboard, front fascia, and switches would add on  :dunce:. This changed it from a snug fit, to a tight fit, but was still ok.

The problem was that over time, the edges of the backscene had slowly eased outwards in the direction of the blue arrows

This pulled apart the back two joints of the photo backscene (a gaugemaster one, which is in very small sections .....4 on my tiny layout) This was a bit niggley, More drastic though, the edges moving outwards were interfering with the lid closing, and were getting damaged.

So I took the backboard off, and started again. :( You see here the springiness of the plastic is always forcing itself out.

(I took the photo off, as I will use the plastic sheet for something else  :thumbsup:)

So as not to damage the layout, I made a ply board the same size as the layout, to build a new backboard on. I made it in 3 sections, joined at the back rounded corners by quarter sections of 2" diameter drain pipe.

The pipe was then trimmed, and any gaps filled and sanded smooth.

Here you can see the "board template" with the shaped backboard on it.

When it was taken off yay... no splaying out of the sides, and all seems square  :claphappy:

Now for the photoscene. When I first started this project, I only knew of Gaugemaster backscenes, which are in tiny sections. As you see on the first pic, it took 3 to go along the really short length of my layout, and a 4th patch behind the stable, as the pieces were not deep enough. I since discovered ID backscenes, which are printed on thicker better quality paper, and larger sections (9" x 5ft) One piece was all I needed for the whole backboard, so no joins to come undone  :D :thumbsup: :D

really pleased with this ..... and it is square and upright as shown by my old and weathered square. :thumbsup:

Next job was to fit it on the board. I wanted to make it removeable, which meant screwing it on, no glue to be involved. I used screws and gorilla glue before, and the gorilla glue expanding also pushed the sides and back out making them obstruct the free closing of the lid.

I managed to peel off the remnents of glue with pliers.

You can also see in this photo and the next where I used Araldite to glue wooden inserts into the foam rocks. This is so when I screw the board on, the screws have something to bite into, not just foam that they will have no purchase on. (The black gaffer tape covers wires from the street lamp, and holds them in a channel cut in the rocks)

To make the back board removable, and also not interfere with the lid, no scenery will be stuck to the board, and the 3 edges must be perpendicular.

:claphappy: :laugh3: :claphappy: All is good  :claphappy: :laugh3: :claphappy:

So that sorted the backscene. I have ordered the edging strip which should be here soon.

Now to the front, where I forgot to take into account the thickness of the fascia and switches  :dunce: :-[ :dunce:

I got a bit brutal with it .... took the fascia off, and cut back about 5 or 6mm of the front scenics,

I then got a big whirley saw and cut the front of the baseboard off  :worried:

And when it was patched up..... looked good as new. Just taking off that little bit really made a difference to its fit in the case.  :thumbsup:

I should get the edging done over the next couple of days, so will update you with that, and also an update on the trees, as I replaced the quite fragile sea-foam ones with wire ones.

All best wishes to you all,
Kevin

:beers:

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 06:28:19 PM by Phoenix »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1008 on: December 19, 2018, 07:00:32 PM »
Brilliant!  :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #1009 on: December 19, 2018, 08:49:39 PM »
Very good exposition of the solutions to your backdrop problems, Kevin.

Great layout and I love particularly your attention to your many little scenes such as the VW getting washed.

webbo

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1010 on: December 19, 2018, 08:57:53 PM »
Cracking work as usual Kevin, the small improvements keep elevating it higher and higher :)

Online dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1011 on: December 19, 2018, 09:08:38 PM »

I love particularly your attention to your many little scenes such as the VW getting washed.

Why pick that one? :). Why not the pub scene or the swans?  ???. (I think we all love that little scene  ;)).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1012 on: December 20, 2018, 07:51:26 AM »
Excellent re-work Kevin!

Id not noticed the VW washing scene before...  :-[  ;)

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #1013 on: December 20, 2018, 05:35:34 PM »
Looking betterer and betterer :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1014 on: December 20, 2018, 07:38:40 PM »
Hi All,

Thank you all for your kind comments. I am very pleased with the new backscene. It was one of those problems that went unnoticed until the layout went back in its box a few times. An added bonus as well was the new scene is all one piece, so no awkward joins  :D

The Windmill girls also send their love. They are thrilled to be the "Pin up girls" of the N-Gauge Forum, but hope the Chelsea girls over in Port Perran don't get jealous  ;) :D ;)

The trim for the backscene arrived today. I just hope I don't bugger it up with glue smudges. I used superglue last time, and there were a couple of small runs, luckily behind the board, not in front. I have experimented on spare scrap bits with superglue gell which seems to work fine. Hopefully I will get it done tomorrow, as I want the weekend free for Christmas stuff. :foodanddrink:

Here are the armatures for the new trees, which should be better than the sea-foam ones I had made before, which were getting a bit knocked about and broken.

I got them on a visit to Poole with some friends, where we found a model shop 
:thumbsup: There are over 60 in a pack, of various sizes, made by a company called JTT

Since buying them, Roger over on Wrenton posted about dipping sea-foam trees in latex to strengthen them

Here they are again, in various stages of having foliage added.

The first has simply had the trunk painted with quite thick acrylic paint to disguise the twisty wire, and then had fine foam foliage added. This makes good low relief trees for against the backscene.

The second has its branches added to with sea-foam, and the trunk thickened with plaster.

The third is the same painted and flocked.

Roger came up with a fab idea of wrapping the trunks with tissue paper to thicken them. I think that is far better, as the plaster had a tendency to crack. Thanks Roger  :thumbsup:

Here are a some more completed ....

Here are some set in the layout, replacing all the trees previously there. These ones are a lot more robust ...

I hope you like the photos, I'm not really happy with the look of them. A crafting (and crafty  ;) ) friend suggested using daylight bulbs when I mentioned my workbench is a bit dim on these dark evenings. They are fantastic, and I would certainly recommend them for modelling, but they seem to make the photos look a bit stark and clinical  :hmmm:

Anyway, back to work on the edging .....

All best wishes
Kevin

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:40:02 PM by Phoenix »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1015 on: December 20, 2018, 08:04:33 PM »
Those trees look super to me Kevin.
Something I may consider emulating on Tregonning in the new year perhaps.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #1016 on: December 20, 2018, 08:15:16 PM »
I like the trees. As regards to the photos, if you have a photo editing program increase the green or yellow slightly to offset the blue of daylight bulbs.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1017 on: December 20, 2018, 08:32:37 PM »
Lovely work on the trees Kevin, I'll be taking a leaf out of your book in the new year to plant some in Perthsire :)

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1018 on: December 20, 2018, 09:44:16 PM »
Cheers all,

Glad you like the new trees. I was particularly trying to avoid the "lollipop" look that some shop bought trees have, and Rogers idea of tissue paper rather than plaster on the trunks really works  :thumbsup:

Thanks Mito for the photo advice..... I got onto it straight away and took this photo of one of the little baby trees ( with my Terrier in the background, as I am doing some track cleaning .... which doesn't take long here  :D :D)

I took the blue down to -15, and added +4 to the green, and it looks a lot better.

:thankyousign:

All best wishes
Kevin

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #1019 on: December 20, 2018, 10:18:57 PM »
Hi Kevin,

All looking fantastic. Glad you're getting it all together before next week as it would bug me if I'd nearly finished. There's always tweaking I'm sure but you know what I mean. I would have been wanting to be carving the front off the layout next Tuesday rather than the bird.

Have a good one but not too much cider mind. My acid reflux is back and we haven't even started yet  :doh:

Cheers weave  :beers:

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations