!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Roundy Roundy... GCR.  (Read 335 times)

Offline Alan Kyte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 29032
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Roundy Roundy... GCR.
« on: April 02, 2020, 05:31:38 PM »
Hi all,

Long time Lurker :), I've been plaguing the forum with various questions and you've all been so helpful, so its about time I introduced myself.

Probably the usual story but as an 8 year old my Dad built me a layout in OO, double loop with one siding. I've vague memories of both loving tinkering with the layout and setting up a home made recording studio under it in my "little camp".. Well times have passed, 40 years later, married, a house with a lot more space and a 2 year old boy that I am hoping to engage in the hobby.. Well I'm at least hoping he will pick up some modelling skills or wood working etc, things that seem to lack in a lot of children/teenagers this day (god I sound old).

Anyway, reverting back to my childhood state of mind, Without planning or aforefort I immediately built a double loop "Roundy" using Settrack, based in Rugby so decided to model something akin to the old GCR. Its late 50's - early 60's allowing me to include both Steam and Diesel.

The tracks been ripped up several times, relayed, modified.. Having recently discovered shunting was fun and having the ability to have most of the loco's on the board I've just added a shed load more sidings, relocating factory to a siding on the back edge of the board with a hope to build it out with a factory type back scene with slim buildings attached to give it some depth.

Also I seem to be a butterfly modeller, doing little jobs on different bits of the layout slowly at a time, is that common?..

I think mentally I've allocated this as my test layout, testing modelling, lights, grass that sort of thing, things I'd like to change on the next layout.

Code 55.
Less Roundy, perhaps folded loop, maybe even something as delightfully simple as "Vale of oxbury"
Openbase board, (have tried in vain to give this layout some elevation, but no real success).
Base it on something that actually exists.
Base it on years I was actually alive in (70's + through to modern, I have a pendolino weakness).
Simpler design, less models, fiddle yard!!

I must say its fun to be back in the hobby, wished I hadn't left it 40 years, but my gould its expensive :), so I've commited enough now to be in it for the long haul.

Pics attached, I don't think any part of the layout is over 50% complete, so apologies for that.

Sorry for the waffle, just wanted to say hello and thanks for all your help so far.

Alan -

Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
Re: Roundy Roundy... GCR.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 05:39:14 PM »
That's a nice little layout for a small-space 'test layout'. I look forward to your next effort!

I'm intrigued by the oval object in front of the DVD rack. Is it a portal into another universe/dimension?

Cheers,

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline Alan Kyte

• Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 05:44:41 PM »
That's a nice little layout for a small-space 'test layout'. I look forward to your next effort!

I'm intrigued by the oval object in front of the DVD rack. Is it a portal into another universe/dimension?

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks and hah, that's a Dyson Fan... But I wish it was, good way to escape the family sometimes..... heh
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 06:15:57 PM »
Thatís a lovely little layout there.
I particularly like the twin tunnel portals, slightly offset.

That 4th photo with the Dyson fan (glad you explained what that is) looks like the road goes over the tracks then around the inside of the fan a bit like Hot wheels.
Great stuff though.

Martin

Iíll get round to fixing it drekkly me Ďansome.

Offline BRMan

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 07:03:58 PM »
I really like this layout, the twin tunnels and the scenery/buildings looking great.  The Dyson isn't the only fan!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 07:44:19 PM »
Nice work, Alan. It bodes very well for the next layout. I heartily approve of the current motive power but am not sure about what may be to come as my interest in railways virtually stopped at 1968 :-\

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 09:04:43 PM »
That's a very nice layout; my kind of thing.

Would be grateful to see some more photographs.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 10:17:57 PM »
What a great little layout!!  :thumbsup:

The more I look at my own huge lumbering layout the more tempted I am to produce something like yours.  :thumbsup:

Like NewportNobby, I too like your loco roster as when it comes to modelling eras, he and I have a similar mindset, though it could be dangerous admitting that  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Alan Kyte

• Ebay
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 10:22:45 PM »
What a great little layout!!  :thumbsup:

The more I look at my own huge lumbering layout the more tempted I am to produce something like yours.  :thumbsup:

Like NewportNobby, I too like your loco roster as when it comes to modelling eras, he and I have a similar mindset, though it could be dangerous admitting that  ;)

I've enjoyed the locos from that period, its just they are the wrong colour for me :).. actually the tricky bit is things like road markings, shops and all that Jazz, trying to get that 50's feel to it all... That said said there are some amazing layouts on here that have given me more ideas.. cheers for compliments though, I'll post some more when I actually make some progress!

Edit: oh and cars and buses?!..
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 10:29:54 PM by AlanK »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 10:54:05 PM »
There's actually heaps of stuff available for the transition period - cars and buses, too!

But it's your layout, and I must admit that Pendolino is awesome!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal