!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Ainsley CMD - A small central materials depot  (Read 73 times)

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Ainsley CMD - A small central materials depot
« on: August 15, 2019, 10:24:59 PM »
Hello all

So recently I have been itching to build a new layout, a micro layout! I have had this idea in my head for a long time, but with exhibiting Sutton St. Annes plus other modelling commitments over the past couple of years I haven’t yet found the time to knuckle down, until now...

After seeing a collection of very inspiring photos of what was Northampton PAD and the CMD from the early 1990s I was instantly hooked and I thought to myself “I would love to build something like that” Simple track plan, lots of opportunity for fine details, finally making use of my DCC fitted 08 and sound 37 and somewhere to showcase some of engineering rolling stock, which I have quite a passion for. So after putting pen to paper, picking up my tape measure and laying out lengths of track and points on my work bench, I finally came up with a plan.

Why a micro layout? To me micro layouts are fun, offering hours of shunting and playability. They are also small and compact, so they can go anywhere in the house. Yeah right, try telling that to the wife! They are also easily transportable and in most cases only require 1 operator at exhibitions. Another appealing fact is the endless details that can be added. Small layout, quick to build, spend more time on the scenics and details I say. Some of the micro layouts I have viewed recently at exhibitions, on forums and in the magazines tend to be crammed with a wealth of detail; details that I often find are missed on some of the larger tail chasers.

So Ainsley CMD is born - All 4' x 8" of it (with a 2' 8" fiddle yard)

As you can see above, I have already made a good start. Boards have been built and painted, track laid, electrics complete, concrete pad laid also some of the main details are slowly being made and added. So it basically just leaves the scenics to complete. 

What is Ainsley CMD?

Ainsley CMD depicts a small central materials depot somewhere in the midlands. The yard receives and handles track panels, used wooden & concrete sleepers, bullhead & flat bottom rail, S&C materials, fish plates, bolts and general lineside scrap. Wagons are trip worked into the yard from the nearby reception siding after midweek or weekend engineering possessions. The materials are then unloaded, graded and either re-used or sent out again by rail to private scrap merchants.

2mm N Gauge micro layout
Currently WIP, but will be exhibited
Layout size: 6' x 8" (4' scenic)
Control: DCC
Track: Code 55
Servo operated point motors via a DCC accessory driver board
Era: Mid 90s

Ainsley CMD will debut at the NGSE show, April 2020. I'd best get a move on...

Here's some progress shots of the build so far.

A blank canvas armed with the wife's Lemon Gin and wood filler! New York and Dublin duck are overseeing the progress! 

First I sealed backscene (it's MDF) with moisture resistance MDF paint, then gave it all 2 coats of grey primer. Finally the backscene was treated to a lick of powder blue acrylic paint. Lovely paint which I got from The Range. I get a lot of my modelling bits from the range ;) Oh and I measured out and laid the concrete pad. This is simply Scalescenes concrete which can be purchased online, downloaded and printed.

Some people use these online track planning thingy me jigs. Personally I don't get on with them, so I just use the hard drive in my head and lay track out until I'm happy. Obviously I did all this before painting the boards. I gently pre formed the track that was being used and put it to one side on my workbench. When the board was ready, I just simply laid it on and adjusted accordingly. 

You might just notice that the track is not parallel to the board, It is slightly offset. I feel this looks so much nicer in a small space than just a load of tracks in a parallel line.

Electrical gubbins going in. Bus wire, track feeders, servos and driver board. I have also mounted the NCE RJ panel onto the fiddle board. 

The servos, mounting plates and driver board all came from Peedie Models. Link and more information can be found here https://www.peediemodels.com/products.php?cat=2 They work really well and it's great being able to control everything from the palm of your hand via the NCE Powercab. Took a little while to configure mind, but got there in the end. DCC is all new to me, but I'm slowly getting my head around it :dunce:

Moving onto some scratch building now.

Gas bottle compound scratch built using 2mm card wrapped in Scalescenes red and blue brick paper and Peedie Models palisade fencing. Measures 26x21mm and stands 12mm tall. The gas bottles are 3D printed, which are also available from Peedie Models. This is based on the compound that once stood at Far Cotton yard, Northampton. Photo here https://flic.kr/p/Udf9rj This photo is also where the idea for the project started...

Road bridge. It's that 2mm card again and Scalescenes brick paper :)

Still a little more needs doing to complete the bridge, but most is complete. **Note**I use Anita's Tacky PVA Glue for all my building projects. Strong as anything when set, and sets rather quickly! Again very cheap from The Range. Comes with an extra fine precision nib too. For the brick paper I use Copydex.

No depot layout is complete without a Coles crane! This is the PD Marsh Coles 6 ton yard crane kit. A lovely little kit that went together beautifully. Finished with a nice subtle weathering.

The CMD now has an overhead gantry crane. This is a modified Vollmer kit. The original span of the crane beam was 180mm, but I have cut this down to 120mm. Ready for weathering now...

And there we have it. So far all this has taken me around 2 months. Although I cheated a little, I already had the baseboard built. I built this last year with another project in mind, but was scrapped. Glad I kept the boards now! Been having a few false starts recently with layout planning.

Anyway, as mentioned above, this is due to debut at the NGSE show in April 2020. No pressure now :-X :claphappy:

I have built a lot of other small details such as a Portakabin and flamvaults. There loads more to add, so keep your eyes peeled for another update very soon :NGaugersRule:

Cheers
Anthony 
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Ainsley CMD - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=46246.msg584542#msg584542

Next exhibition for SSA - TINGS - Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th September 2019

Offline crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Ainsley CMD - A small central materials depot
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 12:12:47 AM »
Thanks anthony for sharing. Plenty of operating potential, some memories  and sure looking forward to seeing your layout progressing and its exiibiting.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything