!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Crofton (2x4' layout build)  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
Re: Crofton (2x4' layout build)
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2019, 08:55:33 AM »
Tested out my LMS 6100 "Royal Scot", it runs ok for the most part except the driving wheels on the loco like to stop in place for a moment along with the rods and almost looks like the train is sliding to a halt.

This can happen - most likely is a bent or catching rod (looks ok on the side shown in picture, so maybe other side, but impossible to know without actually seeing). Also, check the setting of the eccentric rod cranks on the central axle - they should lean slightly forward, but not excessively so.

It's worth getting this sorted as otherwise you can risk wearing flats on the wheels over time if you run it continuously with it sticking at the same point in its rotation.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Jeff_W

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Flickr - Bluegrass Railfan
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2019, 12:09:26 PM »
Thanks, I'll give it a look. If nothing else, I'll take more photos and post them and see if we can ID the issue. Despite many years in N scale I don't have much experience with N scale steam, I have about eight steam locomotives total at the moment counting U.S. and UK items.

I placed an order with Hatton's this morning. I bought the "necessities", that is, more fence and the signals...and then proceeded to load up on about a dozen more wagons and another loco. Oops. Only kicking myself for not getting another BR brake van.

Offline Jeff_W

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Flickr - Bluegrass Railfan
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2019, 05:53:27 PM »
Layout as of November 12th:

Looking better with each detail added. I recently painted a few of the telegraph poles and installed a few on the layout. Also painted the stone walls lining the road, they look better than they did unpainted. I also bought some soft pastels and ground up the black pastel into powder to "weather" the overpasses...they look better with the effect added. I also crushed up some of the white pastel and used it on the depot to simulate the "mortar" between the bricks.

I got some signals in my last order, trying to decide where to put them, though I think I might need one or two other types since I have a pair of turnouts near the platform to allow trains to cross over between mains (though I probably won't actually do that, this is more of a watch 'em run layout)

I started painting the coal dealer kit by Ratio that I have. Used acrylics for the brick and roof, haven't painted the additional building details yet. I will also need to find something to paint the brass details with, the stuff I have won't obviously work(acrylics). Was going to go with green for the doors/windows.

A turnout replacement might also be in my future as the inside rails on the outer main have gotten bent somehow. Already pulled the switch up once before to level the track out since trains would derail every so often. They run better now but still derail. Anything with small lead trucks derails anytime they go over this switch, my 0-6-0 J39 will make a random number of laps over it before it too decides that it doesn't want to go over it and derails. Photographed a normal switch next to it for comparison.

Hoping to get a few automobiles and people on the layout soon, as with the holidays coming up (Thanksgiving is 2 weeks out) I want to try to get the layout looking semi completed before anyone else comes by the house and sees it in person.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything