!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Montrose and Highland Railroad Thread  (Read 9475 times)

Offline Rich_S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Montrose and Highland Railroad Thread
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2018, 09:15:05 PM »
Hi Andy, To spruce up the scenery, first use a good soft bristle 3 to 5" paint brush to dust off the grass areas, roadways, etc. For grassy areas that have become faded, just add a new light layer of ground foam over the existing ground foam. Wet it down with IPA using a fine mist spray bottle and give it a good soak with 3:1 (Three parts water, 1 part white glue like Elmer's glue) using a pipette or similar device that will allow you to drip the glue onto the ground foam. When it dries, it will look brand new.  You can do the same thing with trees, either spray the tree with hair spray then sprinkle on ground foam or dip the tree into a 3:1 water white glue mix and sprinkle on ground foam. No need to redo the scenery, when all it needs is just a little freshening up  :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline texhorse

• N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2018, 07:27:43 AM »
Thank you for the tips Rich, I'll get on it very soon!

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2018, 06:27:29 PM »
Fantastic update, Andy!
Sorry for my tardy response but I've been running around like a headless chicken.

Glad to hear the benchwork is now balanced!
Now you can show us how to make an excellent scene on unfinished area!! :heart2:
Need a new industry? I personally recommend a Biosolids facility but I assume that the answer is "Absolutely NO".
I recommend it to my Brother-in-law who is making a big N scale layout and he refused it without hesitation.

I was surprised that NS still uses a lot of old cab locos (I don't know how it called.)
I thought that we can only see wide safety cab on most of class 1's railroads.

Has the Thanksgiving car arrived yet?
I'm looking forward to seeing the next video.

Dats
Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMwG2GNX3Va9AFLRaNH5xw

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2018, 10:09:37 PM »
Hey Dats

Funny you should ask about the Thanksgiving car.  According to my sources on the MHRR, it may not be coming to the Ohio end of the railroad this year.  It's currently languishing in a siding in Kansas City, empty.  This is sad and I've pulled some strings to get it put into a train to come to our end of the line.

Biosolids?  On the layout?  I can't see it happening to be honest Dats.  Remember the Morning Harvest soft drinks facility at Cherry Valley is very close, and I think they may object....

Rich came up with a new way to refresh the scenery which I like, just by wetting the existing scenery and giving it a fresh coating of scenics over the top.  I think it's a good idea.

Keep watching; 44 is coming soon....

Andy
UK

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2018, 11:00:11 PM »
I like Dats's biosolds distribution depot. Not many layouts have one of these. Andy, contrary to popular conception, biosolids of the type I'm assuming that Dats dispenses do not smell nor do sewage treatment plants providing they are functioning properly. Of course, biosolids that have just exited the human body do smell adversely.

My Deadwood is a rural community in central British Columbia which is not much interested in modern concepts like recycling (at least not yet). However, I do aspire to having a junkyard on my layout if I can get it to fit.

Webbo

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2018, 12:24:28 AM »

I was surprised that NS still uses a lot of old cab locos (I don't know how it called.)

Dats

Hi Dats, We call them Standard Cabs as opposed to Safety Cabs or as some call them wide cabs (which is funny as all cabs are the same width, shouldn't they be called wide short hoods? or maybe big noses, OK maybe the latter is not nice  :smiley-laughing: ) . Most of the locomotives you'll see standard cabs on are in helper service, local service or yard service. Of those, more are being equipped with the Admiral cab, which adds more internal support for crew protection, plus added room for PTC equipment.
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2018, 04:40:12 PM »

Dats

Hi Dats, We call them Standard Cabs as opposed to Safety Cabs or as some call them wide cabs (which is funny as all cabs are the same width, shouldn't they be called wide short hoods? or maybe big noses, OK maybe the latter is not nice  :smiley-laughing: ) . Most of the locomotives you'll see standard cabs on are in helper service, local service or yard service. Of those, more are being equipped with the Admiral cab, which adds more internal support for crew protection, plus added room for PTC equipment.

Hi Dats and Rich,   I believe the cabs being called Safety Cabs comes from thier early introduction here in Canada ( early 70s by CN), I believe they were introduced here first (that said there are still plenty of old canned locos kicking around

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2018, 10:14:50 PM »
Hi Dats and Rich,   I believe the cabs being called Safety Cabs comes from their early introduction here in Canada ( early 70s by CN), I believe they were introduced here first (that said there are still plenty of old canned locos kicking around

Hi grumbeast, You are correct, the first true Safety Cabs were built by EMD for the Canadian National. The models purchased were the GP38-2W, GP40-2W, SD40-2W. According to EMD the idea came from Canadian National employees. The "Safety Cab" idea was applied to the cab design used on the UP DDA40X using heavier steel plates, instead of steel sheets, providing greater crew protection.

The Canadian Comfort cab was the next step in the safety cab development.  The next advancement from EMD is the "Whisper Cab" which acoustically isolates the cab from the rest of the locomotive.
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2018, 08:35:17 PM »
OK Guys!

The next fabulous Montrose and Highland Railroad video is available for you to watch :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIiW0o2yCxg&feature=youtu.be

Please excuse my appearance at the beginning of the video!  It was really early that morning!

Andy
UK

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2018, 10:11:01 PM »
Holiday season has begun!!!
Thank you for the excellent video.
Now I can start my holiday season routine which is "Eat anything edible, like a pig".

I'm really impressed about the Scale Train loco.  :drool:
I've heard on some YouTube videos saying that the loco's couplers wouldn't work well.
Is that true?
Well, I don't need to worry about it since I don't own  :'( or planning to get that fancy loco  :'( but I'm just curious about it.
Nevertheless, the details are just stunning!!
Amazing that they can jam pack all the details on N size loco.
I'm assuming that they are made in China. If so, whoever working on the factory are Master modellers!!

I'm looking forward to seeing the MHRR Christmas special!!!

Dats
Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMwG2GNX3Va9AFLRaNH5xw

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2018, 10:37:44 PM »
Hi Andy, Thank you for the update video. That is a very nice looking Thanksgiving day car  :thumbsup: Your EVO Tier IV looks and sounds great. I know I've worked on the 3610, but I don't have any photos of the unit.  I'm seeing more people beginning to use switch lists but I have to admit I'm lazy and I don't like doing all that writing required on a switch list, so I just use my computer printed car cards  :smiley-laughing:  Since my layout is small, it's a branch line, there are only 4 industries with a total of six sidings. For each inbound train all I have to pick are:

1 hopper
1 boxcar
1 covered hopper
1 tank car
2 gondola's

plus the car cards that go along with those cars. The local then begins placing the inbound cars at the designated industry on the car card and picking up the loaded or empty car from the industry. On my layout, I do not hold cars at industries, every time a car is delivered, one is picked up. I even created a employee timetable for my layout. Here is a copy of my Employee Timetable.
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2018, 06:48:57 AM »
I like that timetable Rich, it looks really professional to my untrained eyes!!!  Very impressed.

Thanks for telling us how your layout operates!

Andy
UK

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2018, 10:49:24 PM »
Hi Andy, Thank you for the compliments on the Long Valley employees timetable. It's based on a couple of actual timetables I own. I used Microsoft Word to create the Timetable. I'm then able to use two sided printing with Microsoft Word and my printer. When finished printing, the Timetable can be stapled in the middle like the prototype Timetables.

For me it just adds another layer of realism to my operating sessions as now, there are rules that have to be followed.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2018, 03:21:36 AM »
OK Guys!

The next fabulous Montrose and Highland Railroad video is available for you to watch :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIiW0o2yCxg&feature=youtu.be

Please excuse my appearance at the beginning of the video!  It was really early that morning!

Andy
UK

Hi Andy

I have one of these ScaleTrains tier 4 GEVOs as well though mine is DC in BNSF colours.

It is a terrific looking model, but does not run as well as a Kato IMO

Webbo

Offline texhorse

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2018, 09:13:20 PM »
Hi Webbo, How's life treating you?

I love the Scaletrains locos.  I know what you're saying about the Kato running capabilities.  So far, I'd put the two manufacturers on an equal par.  If you want to test them alongside some of the UK's finest,  like Graham Farish, Dapol or Bachmann, you'll find they are streets apart!

We American modellers are very fortunate in comparison.

Andy
UK

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
45% 
June Donations

anything