!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: LNER U1 using WD 2-8-0 mechanisms (moving on from LMS Beyer Garratts)  (Read 9669 times)

Hailstone and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Re: LNER U1 using WD 2-8-0 mechanisms (moving on from LMS Beyer Garratts)
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2020, 10:01:39 PM »
Just out of the soup one CAD step back.  As this is going to be a one off I am getting close to finalising the CAD and I will use NBrass fittings.  The main reason is there is a lot of pipework that would be hard to print integral to the body and are easily made with brass rod.  I therefore have the ash pan and a few other parts to add and then I can concentrate on making a set of clean prints.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 11:35:22 PM by Snowwolflair »

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Re: LNER U1 using WD 2-8-0 mechanisms (moving on from LMS Beyer Garratts)
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2020, 11:54:17 PM »

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
For those not familiar with 3D printing here is a snapshot of a layer of the U1 being printed.  The sharp solid lines are the model and the dots are the support structure like stalactites with fine points that hold up new or flat areas of the print.  For FUD from Shapeways these supports are replaced with solid wax that is melted away after printing.

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
These are the final prints which have had a lite sand. 

The mechanisms are mounted to the bunker and the tank by a nut and bolt and when tightened they clamp the boiler plate making a robust assembly. 

The ash pan is a separate module and fits into the underside of the boiler which is hollow.  The ash pan includes a sound cavity and holds the DCC chip.  This means the wiring can be relatively free in the boiler to move as the articulation swings.

I am now going to let the resin cure for a few days and while this is happening I will sort out the N-Brass fittings I need.

Offline richard.bell

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Hattons  briefly  flaunted with  Garrett ,   but  sadly   insufficient  interest apparently  .
Is  this  an opportunity to  trial  crowd  funding ?
It would  be an  epic  event  ,  esp  if  RevolutioN   (or  perhaps even  Hattons  were  to  front  it ).
Failing  that  , I'm  puzzled  why  no  manufacturer has  tried  to  market a  Manor .  Must  be  an  opportunity  for  Dapol ...  unless  they  are  now  totally committed  to  O  gauge

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
Failing  that  , I'm  puzzled  why  no  manufacturer has  tried  to  market a  Manor . 

??

GWR Manor has been available been available in N for years....

http://kentgardenrailways.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5746

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Hattons  briefly  flaunted with  Garrett ,   but  sadly   insufficient  interest apparently  .
It would  be an  epic  event  ,  esp  if  RevolutioN   (or  perhaps even  Hattons  were  to  front  it ).
Failing  that  , I'm  puzzled  why  no  manufacturer has  tried  to  market a  Manor .  Must  be  an  opportunity  for  Dapol ...  unless  they  are  now  totally committed  to  O  gauge

As Dr Al says, the Manor has been round some years as a RTR. By way of the history it was originally designed by Ixion (who now do O only) and well respected Australian modeller Phil Badger was involved in the design.

As an aside, there was a screw up with the measurements somewhere in the process meaning the initially launched models were totally out of scale/proportion and this was discovered too late to stop many being sold.

A total retool followed, and the result a beautiful little model. I have a BR Black Hook Norton Manor and even though not DCC ready because the tender was too small for a DCC I will never sell it.

Anyway, Ixion decided after that single model to do no more and made the shift to O. The tooling was sold to Dapol who have continued to produce it using the (I think?) 28xx tender which has a DCC socket.

So, they are out there, often at bargain prices!

As regards the Garratt, Hattons have done the CAD but won't move it on without enough orders to justify tooling, so it isn't dead just sleeping (cue Monty Python and the dead parrot sketch...). Now there may be many factors influencing the lack of take up, things like the dispute with Bachmann reducing the amount of N they sell, a lack of promotion compared to other 00 and O products or it may simply be that there is not enough demand for it in the smaller N market, but if Hattons can't get to the required numbers frankly I can't see anyone else trying.

Roy

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards

Richard I see you are a new member so welcome.  The questions you asked are all answered somewhere on this forum and I would like to think a good approach would be to search for answers to you questions in the search box top right selecting entire forum.  You will soon catch on to the flow of the forum and you have to remember not all members will look to see you status before answering or leaving feedback.

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
I have given the prints a lite undercoat of black to check the surfaces and to seal the resin.  I plan to do her in the first Black livery she carried and to include a number of fittings later removed in the late 1930's.  What fittings I can get have been ordered from NBrass and the rest can be made from brass wire.  I now need to address the valve gear.  In the prints I included Hex slots for nuts and these have now been installed allowing the body to be attached with a tight fit and clamping the cylinders at the same time allowing accurate measurements to be made.

« Last Edit: Today at 11:08:34 AM by Snowwolflair »

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
David this is a phenomenal bit of work!!! The photos yesterday even in that state of build, the finish on the loco, and the chassis a couple of days ago when you posted those pictures, looks magnificent., with all those  colour variations make it look already like a hard working machine.

Fantastic model in progress!!!!  :claphappy:

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Tremendous piece of engineering. Must have been awesome to have been lineside when that passed :goggleeyes:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal