!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Beal & Castle Eden. ... restoration?  (Read 12553 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Beal & Castle Eden. ... restoration?
« Reply #390 on: Yesterday at 09:55:40 PM »
A VB tanker...  Now that would be totally awesome. Maybe a word in Ben Ando's ear....  :beers:
Get some suitable artworks off to Robbie's Rolling Stock and they'll probably knock you out some transfers, George. In your case I reckon it would have to be a 100T tanker, mind ;D :P

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #391 on: Yesterday at 09:57:59 PM »
Electra graphics maybe

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #392 on: Yesterday at 10:07:21 PM »
You ever done the 'Ales on Rails' on the VGR George????

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #393 on: Yesterday at 10:53:26 PM »
No, but I'm all ears....
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #394 on: Yesterday at 11:00:27 PM »
A VB tanker...  Now that would be totally awesome. Maybe a word in Ben Ando's ear....  :beers:
Get some suitable artworks off to Robbie's Rolling Stock and they'll probably knock you out some transfers, George. In your case I reckon it would have to be a 100T tanker, mind ;D :P

Maybe one of those silver bullet tankers. Resch's used to put out their beer in silver cans, which got the nickname silver bullets. But we'll leave it there because I hate canned beer and Resch's too.  :sick2:

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #395 on: Yesterday at 11:17:16 PM »
Steam hauled Castlemaine to Maldon beer tasting on the train with bar snacks then you get a nice lunch in a hotel.

Most of Victoria's breweries throw a good few slabs on for you to sample

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #396 on: Yesterday at 11:37:36 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up! I'll check it out!  :beers:

Itchy feet with this lockdown, or in my case, itchy foot, and looking for somewhere to go when it's finished.

The Goldfields Railway looks perfect!  :beers:
« Last Edit: Today at 06:11:11 AM by Bealman »

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #397 on: Today at 03:01:32 AM »
There has been much very interesting discussion lately about conductive ballast and scenic materials. Who'd have thought? I must admit that in a lifetime of railway modelling, I've never come across that one!

Cinders seems to be the issue there - as @Trainfish hints, it might be an idea to stop ringing her.  :)

Anyway, the mention of cinders prompts me to post this horrendous close-up of the ashpit on the shed road at Castle Eden. No conduction worries here, it is cigarette ash from my late father-in-law's cigarette that he was puffing on while he was sitting in a chair watching the construction!

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #398 on: Today at 03:53:43 AM »
I was half thinking about posting this next bit in the electronics section, but seeing as it is part of the restoration, I'll just keep chuffing along here.

I uncovered this homemade CDU during my rummaging, which had been kindly given to me by  a member of IMRA (Illawarra Model Railway Association) back in the nineties.

It got me thinking. Every point on the entire layout as it stands is powered from one CDU, located underneath Castle Eden. This same unit powers the points (sometimes two at once ) at Kirkby Langdale too - some 15 to 16 feet away!! This huge cable run must have some effect, although I must admit I never noticed it back in the early days, except if both operators fired a point at the same time, a fairly rare event.

Anyway, I got to thinking that it wouldn't do any harm to give Kirkby Langdale it's own dedicated CDU, since I had one available. Indeed, it would be an improvement. So I set about cleaning the PCB up, noticing as I did that the gentleman who made it had left two holes for an additional capacitor to be added.

Off I went to my local Jaycar Electronics shop, and asked for a 2200 microFarad 25V capacitor. I thought "that's a bit dearer than normal" and when I got home  found that he'd given me a low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) component, which was good. By dearer than normal, I mean like, 35 cents!!

So in it went:

That brass curly thing, by the way, is a soldering iron tip cleaner, made by Goot of Japan. It is a quality product which I should have bought years ago. Just thrust the tip of your soldering iron into it, and presto! Nice and clean. Comes with a spare brass wool as well, for about 10 bucks.

Feeling in a soldery mood, I kept going and snipped off the wires for the power input and point output....

....and replaced them with screw terminals I had lying around, to facilitate easy installation under the layout.

So there we go, one new CDU to power the Kirkby Langdale section!  :beers:

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #399 on: Today at 06:22:38 AM »

http://www.vgr.com.au/alesonrails.php

As you can see, I am investigating!  :beers:

Online degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #400 on: Today at 10:07:29 AM »

Haha nice way to enjoy a few pints George  :beers:

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Online Trainfish

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
« Reply #401 on: Today at 11:30:53 AM »
There has been much very interesting discussion lately about conductive ballast and scenic materials. Who'd have thought? I must admit that in a lifetime of railway modelling, I've never come across that one!

Cinders seems to be the issue there - as @Trainfish hints, it might be an idea to stop ringing her.  :)

Anyway, the mention of cinders prompts me to post this horrendous close-up of the ashpit on the shed road at Castle Eden. No conduction worries here, it is cigarette ash from my late father-in-law's cigarette that he was puffing on while he was sitting in a chair watching the construction!

I never said to stop ringing Cinders, what I meant was that it maybe wasn't a good idea to lay cinders in the loft  :goggleeyes:

Anyway, we have the RAT here which I have heard good reports on from a couple of friends. I really must do it one day.
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #402 on: Today at 01:56:38 PM »

That looks quite my cup of tea! or rather glass of ale  :beers: mind you I remember having a pint on the Ffestiniog, lost a 1/4 of it with the rocking an rolling  :'(, loving the story of your rebuild and agree with getting on with the restoration on what is a great layout and the electrical wizardry is way beyond me, I'm with NPN in the Dinosaur group. All the very best and looking forward to seeing a VB wagon on your layout  :thumbsup: I'm after a Strongs as my avatar van for my layout must have a word with Robbie. Just having my pre lunch pint, Exmoor Gold perfect summer pint,
Cheers David
Cheers
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Online themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #403 on: Today at 02:15:11 PM »
a 2200 microFarad 25V capacitor
Flying a bit close to the wire there.I'd spend a few more pennys  cents and go for 35v at least and maybe replace the 30 year old electrolytic as well.

Offline Papyrus

• N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #404 on: Today at 02:20:07 PM »

Get some suitable artworks off to Robbie's Rolling Stock and they'll probably knock you out some transfers, George.

This is a new one on me, Mick. Does said Robbie make transfers to order? If so, I'd like some for my favourite brewery, Harviestoun...

Cheers,

Chris

Sorry, this has gone slightly :offtopicsign:
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal