!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tiree  (Read 17969 times)

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tiree
« Reply #240 on: March 31, 2020, 09:27:36 PM »
Two visits to the MhRC today, 
In the first in the first I scraped the sides and top of the walls to make them  more wall  shaped.
Then scribed all the stonework.  A quick wash of grey was then added to see how it looked.
On the second visit the wall was given a wash of thin green then a thicker coat of grey so it stayed where it touched...  At that point the photos were taken,  as the walls are wet they are a bit darker than they will be.
For size comparison I placed a scale RAF mini,  a model of wot I used to drive.

After that I worked on the accompanying main board 5, more filla on the cutting sides shaped to look more excavated rather than natural rock.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #241 on: April 05, 2020, 08:04:47 AM »
All that green has been grassed, 

I remembered that hollows in the rocks tended to go black and fill with water so I've painted the holes black and been dropping Varnish into the holes

Several layers of varnish have been applied to the lochan and stream,  time for another wash of black before raising the water level further.

Things that have been bothering me,

The rocks on the cliff faces / cuttings are too dry, the highlands and Islands are soggy..
Solution,  paint varnish along the tops and let it dribble down.

The long road climb behind the main station doesn't look right, it's too big they wouldn't have spent that amount of money digging it out.
 Solution, on the boards here just a minor change of road.  But the board at the MRC will need some surgery.

I'll try to remember to  take more pictures today.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #242 on: April 06, 2020, 06:56:00 PM »
I don't recall seeing a layout before that had that much open rugged wilderness. Wonderful job Q.  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #243 on: April 06, 2020, 06:59:44 PM »
Looking good.
I particularly like the stone walling which is nicely rugged and not too even.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #244 on: April 06, 2020, 09:22:19 PM »
Thanks for the comments folks, to me a railway should be in its landscape whether city or countryside.  I how ever am a country boy,  and that's what I'm aiming at

Apart from varnishing the lochan and burn and various bits of damp stuff again I've mostly been working on the war memorial.  The site for it is a  bit more dramatic than that on Tiree but I wanted it to be prominent .
The blank rough shapes for the memorial has now been made from plasicard, and I need to definitely remember this gadget tomorrow  not only to take pictures but it's got the downloaded photos of Scarinish war memorial on it.

Talking of which..

Oh just been studying road surfaces on Tiree and found a second railway on the island

I'm going to have to model that
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:01:10 PM by The Q »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #245 on: April 07, 2020, 09:48:01 PM »
Evening all just back from the MhRC
Not much done to today,  Just another coat of varnish to the lochan and burn. Plus a little carving to the mound I'll sit the memorial on.
The memorial itself has had a little work done on the cross which I'll mount onto the pillar after.  In the pictures you can see the memorial pillar sat on the mound it's still a bit fat and will need carving to look like stone.

The pictures one of the mound in its current state  and a couple of the grassed scenic sub board.

And picture two of the scenic board,  yes that white stuff in the burn is varnish it dries a beautiful shiny clear..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #246 on: April 08, 2020, 09:54:55 PM »
Found a disaster this morning,  the increased heat had dried the varnish before the bubbles left by brushing had cleared.
I've popped all the bubbles and painted on two thinned coats of varnish on an attempt to fill and hide the bubbles.

The war memorial has been thinned,  and the Celtics cross has had the four holes drilled out in the corners of the cross. Much more work to be done.

Still experimenting with the road surface too get it to look right..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #247 on: April 09, 2020, 09:14:56 PM »
The attempted repair of the lochan didn't work,  so I sanded off the ridges left by the bubbles then filled the holes left by the bubbles with a black paint and filler mix.  Then thinly coating the entire  surface with a watered down version of the mix.
Later when dry a thin coat of varnish was applied,  I'll see how that is in the morning.

The big step today was calling in the platelayers both mainline and branch were done,  and in the second session some grassing was done up to the ballast. 

I see the highland railway has bought some second hand carriages from down south and is trying an experimental red colours for locos,  I think the LMS stands for LochAlsh,  Muir of Ord and Stromeferry.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #248 on: April 11, 2020, 09:03:54 PM »
The last board number 6 was joined  to number 5 as usual using adjustable toggle clamps.  Unfortunately I've left the dowels at the MRC which makes life difficult with the alignment.
Board number 6 will hold the traverser,  and part of Upper Balinoe Station,  Upper Balinoe was originally on a sub board that sat above and behind the main Scarinish station on boards 3 and 4.

So to start fitting UBS to board six I started removing dozens of 1.5 inch brass screws , that done from the frame then... Nothing..  It just sat there,  it had been very well glued and screwed. So a different tack,  try removing the top.  Using a magnet I found a likely point and excavated some grass to find... A nail  yep the top was glued and nailed on.

In the end I took a jigsaw to it, by running along the back just inside the longitudinal batten I cut the rear Batten off this lost 3/4 inch width of road.  Then I presented the board to the end of the upper branch line seen in previous pictures to get the angles right I cut  a wedge off the end,  3 inches wide at the front.,  then another wedge at that same point to remove a step between the subboard  and board 5.

Once happy with that two short battens were sunk into the foam,  to get heights right and a small piece added to the end plywood to hold the end of the sub board. .  Once happy again it was all glued and screwed together.

At the back, around the return half circle for the main line I've built on foam to the same level at the station , that's now sitting with weights on while the glue sets.  Above that on at least another 3 inches of foam will be the removable radar station.  So you can access the track beneath.

It looks a bit of a mess at the moment,  but reconstruction can start tomorrow. I hope to take some pictures then.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #249 on: April 12, 2020, 08:46:10 PM »
And so to today work.
In the first session 3 pieces of ply were cut and installed to form a U round the end of the layout the end and back being the Standard 10inches high.  Also the loose foam on the front was carved, just placed in situ  for observation and consideration.  The front just 6 inches.  You can see them in this picture.

All foam at that point was loose except at the back right corner below station level which was glued yesterday.
The two loose pieces of foam on top, roughly show the site of the radar station.

This next shot is after two more hours work in the second session,

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 08:56:41 PM by The Q »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #250 on: April 13, 2020, 05:11:43 PM »
Well all that cliff / cutting hadn't dried this morning and hasn't entirely dried by late this afternoon.  So that stopped any further work on it. 

So I studied Bhein  Gott, or my representation of it,  that had the part built radar station on it.  I decided to make a ply base for the hill  to roof over the return loop. Then put carved foam on top. 
Note the electric motor  sat on top, that's a 12V 4 RPM motor which will rotate the antenna at the correct speed.  By chance,  the tip of the driveshaft happens to be the level of the base of the antenna.  That will be another 60mm to the top.

Onto that I have marked the base of the radar building, by removing the silver foil  and drawn the circle of the outer edge of antenna,  which is 60ft across 120mm.

The layers of foam onto ply  are now glued with weights holding them down.

Then I took the MacBraynes bus for a drive,  down to the future pier.  It didn't make it..  The first bend was too tight as I suspected.  So about 4 inches of wall has been removed, and a new one built.  It's still in its raw state and will need shaping detailing and painting tomorrow.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #251 on: April 14, 2020, 09:39:13 PM »
Another part day of work on the layout and that cliff / cutting is only dry along its upper edges...
So I plastered Bheinn Ghott ,

You'll notice a white box,  with white boxes upon it. Note mini for scale.
The big white box will be sunk into the hill,  it will hold the electric motor and anything else, needed.
The little assembly of boxes on top are the first stage of building  this.

It's actually a Type 80 radar building,  most Type 80s were replaced in the 1960s with The Type 84 radar. They reused the same buildings just bricking up some windows and doors.

This is the Type 84 radar on the building At RAF Neatishead early 1978

How can I be so precise about the picture,  .... Because that me stood in the middle,  it's a publicity shot for the radar nearer the camera the Type 90 radar.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:44:28 PM by The Q »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #252 on: April 15, 2020, 09:52:00 PM »
Evening all,
You'll notice the radar building in the Scarinish picture is white,  and that in the other picture is green, that's because they were all originally anti nuclear flash white.  Then they decided to paint them green for camouflage.. A bit late, I think the Soviets knew where they were by then.
The date of change over is interesting and I haven't found out when it was. RAF Boulmer was different the antenna was light blue.  Because the Duke of Northumberland of the time,  didn't want to see the aerials against the sky.  As he owns the land the station is on he got his way.

Today,
 The altered wall to the pier was scribed and given it's first grey colour wash.  More tomorrow.
The foundation hole for the radar building was dug, as you can see in the picture.
Some cliff plastering was done,  with different filler,  as the old stuff found in the shed is not setting. I need to order some more.

Now ordered,  but more expensive than buying local but since I'm officially self isolating / furloughed, driving past work which is open for work, to buy some may not be a good idea,  let alone the possible physical consequences.

Also ordered earlier today plasticard,  I beams,  round rod,  I have a radar to build,  see other picture.

The bolts needed for the traverser have arrived.  So tomorrow i'll turn that board around and work on that,  giving time for old plaster to set and new stuff to arrive. 

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #253 on: April 16, 2020, 09:35:30 PM »
Evening all, it already been a long day before i started.

.as I thinking mentioned,  it was traverser day today, so after a load of measurements the rails for the traverser were mounted onto the base via,  some wooden bearers.
Then a suitable piece of ply was cut and the longitudinal frame glued and screwed on.
After which  if fitted the rollers,.  And went to try them and...

It didn't fit...  In turning it over to attach the rollers I had not reversed the measurements..

Beer o'clock was called.

Sometime later...

Measurements taken again , measurements reversed this time,  rollers in the right place,  so now it works.

Still to-do on traverser,  finish framing,  cut bolts to exact size  there's no excess sticking out.
Take the angle grinder to it.....

To cut the rails down to size as they stick out by about 5 inches. They are solid Stainless Steel.
Adjust surroundings to not rub or give too big a gap.

While then contemplating further work,  my eyes alighted in the platforms they looked a bit big..  And they were..  1cm or 5ft  above the rails!!!

That's standard ratio platforms..,  now current standard height is 3ft. But on the Highland railways Kyle line it was more like 2ft. So a razor saw and craft knife were put through their paces and the bottom two rows of blocks Were cut off

That's how far I got, but to fit them some location blocks need trimming,  and I may as well paint the platforms before re-installing.  They were bare almost unpainted plastic,  which suggests the original builder had not yet finished this part of the layout..

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #254 on: April 17, 2020, 07:57:14 AM »
Yes, platfrom heights can be a problem, as can the widths of island platforms or where there is limited space behind the platform.  I have started scratch-building mine out of strips of Plasikard, which allows me to create them to the height and width I require.  Funnily enourgh, mine are 10mm high, but the track is laid on cork underlay and that gives the right height for the rolling stock.  I cover the surface of the platforms with paving slabs which I have printed using PowerPoint.

With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52%