!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tiree  (Read 8065 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Tiree
« Reply #135 on: December 24, 2018, 08:20:25 AM »
Yes, it's a bit of a pain. I'm having the same problem.

Members are posting pictures and video's using dropbox and stuff like that,  but it's out of my comfort zone, so I'm waiting for the new gallery.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #136 on: December 24, 2018, 04:49:26 PM »
Well,  I've managed to add a picture by using lots of compression which I didn't need to do before.
Anyway, this is a shot of three boards together for the first time in over a year.  You can see the viaduct piers have been halved, and the hillside ahead.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #137 on: December 24, 2018, 04:55:10 PM »
This is a picture from the other direction,  you can see the singled,  main and branch lines, the double tunnel mouth replaced by a single, the new embankment hiding some of the old brick wall and track bed.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #138 on: December 24, 2018, 05:15:38 PM »
And the current look of the hillside,  some way to go yet..

Today Ive also almost completed  layout carriage  2, so hopefully I'll have two carriages to take to the MRC on Friday.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2018, 11:08:27 PM »
Hopefully  another picture,  this shows that I have delivered to the club, two of the layout carriages.

And another showing board one mounted in place.

After the installation I made like General Wade,  and built a road on board 2, and started landscaping  the front scenic board of board 3, which also includes a road.  Both roads are of course still in white,  they'll need leveling  and the ditches digging either side before  painting.
I need to finish board two though, then that can be stored beneath board 1, then board 4 can be brought in to install on the second carriage.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2018, 06:42:32 PM »
Carriage 3 is almost complete,  just a third coat of paint,  then handle fitting and fitting the sockets for the feet.  One minor problem,  I've run out of 20mm screws,  I've used over 700 so far!!!  Another 500 ordered, though I only need about 100 for the above and fitting layout boards to the top with piano hinges.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2019, 10:57:13 PM »
Evening all,
I had planned to move boards 2 and 3 onto the carriages tonight,  but the club had decided to move another layout from one side of me to the other,  so my planned move became impractical.
So I got the grass gun out,  doing some small bits on board 1, around the footings of the viaduct on board 2, and the main hill area above the railway,  on board 3.

It's made a huge improvement in the looks of the hillside.
 I'm using a mix of 2/3 spring green grass and 1/3 a darker summer green grass.  With odd patches of one or the other to provide some variations.
I'll need to order some more spring green though, I've used 1/2 a Box. I also want to order one of those mini Hoover's,  to recover a lot of the loose green,  the club mini hoover is too dirty..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2019, 11:19:41 PM »
Well the planned move onto the second carriage was done. Reconnecting  the layout was difficult as I'm on top of a drain cover and the floor is very uneven.

Tonight I ballasted the singled branch line on board one and grassed some of the ex trackbed of the main line.

Then brown was added to the board 3 rock faces,  mostly along the edges where the peat and soil would stain the rocks.
After the tea break with reduced numbers at the busy club,  I painted the outside of the layout highland green to match the carriages.

Next week,  more ballasting,  more grassing,  and I'll see how the brown staining is when dry..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2019, 11:27:44 PM »
Evening all,
Tonight's work was: mostly on board 1
Hoover up all the excess grass from previous efforts.  I've bought a mini hoover just for this purpose  so I can recover and reuse the excess. The club has one I'll just use for cleaning plaster dust and ballast.
 ballasting  the now single track Main line.
Removing one point and fitting two from that line into the fiddle yard
Touching up the grass
Fitting three removable support brackets to carry boards 1 and 2.
Second coating the back of the backscene to match the green of the carriages

As I had a bit of time left I started grassing the odd bits of the cliff faces on board 3 that would grow grass.

Next week
Major grassing session on board 2, final touch up on board one.,  more cliff face grass on board 3.

I've ordered some green waterproof cloth to make covers for the layout,  and to hide the open areas between the layout carriages,  so the first cover will be measured  up next week.

I received today a tube with some Scottish region colour, vinyl totem stickers I'd ordered, the top line says, "Scottish highlands and Islands, N gauge "
The middle line says "TIREE"
The bottom line says" in memory of Mr Derek Clarke and Mr Harry Nudd" the two consecutive previous owners of the layout..
The sticker look good and will go on the lighting pelmet when built.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:58:13 PM by The Q »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2019, 11:01:06 PM »
Evening all,
Just back from the MRC where photos were taken,  they will processed tomorrow hopefully then posted here.
Board 1 on its carriage was disconnected from board 2. A piece of ripstop green waterproof cloth was then cut to size to fit over the top of board 1 and carriage.
When it returns home next week SWMBO will tailor it to exact shape.

After that much grassing was done on boards 2and 3. Then a polystyrene and pollyfilla rock was created to fill a space vacated by track.

The layout will be seen in public  for the first time since I've been hacking at it..  This will be at our club open day, on 26th May 2019, at Hoveton village hall.  Our club building is too small to display all the club and members layouts.
I doubt I'll be running the layout but should have all six boards on display and I'll be doing something modelling....  While kilted...
There will be at least two n gauge layouts running,  plus two 00 running  then the other layouts including 009 and 0 which may or may not run.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2019, 04:14:52 PM »
And now for some pictures...
First board 1 note singled track

Board 2 note  vinyl Tiree totems in background

Board 3

Three boards together

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2019, 04:35:03 PM »
Looking good.
Can I ask what that little red bridge is on the left over the track please?
Canít quite make it out from the photo.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2019, 05:51:16 PM »
The bridge is a peedie models industrial walkway,  modified with some of the sprue as supports... http://www.peediemodels.com/proddetail.php?prod=PMPE33087

I've made the assumption that access would still be required to the stone circle after the railway was built.  So a cheap bridge was supplied,  it would also be used to herd sheep across to keep the grass short.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:55:31 PM by The Q »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2019, 11:53:12 PM »
evening all,
Board one is sitting outside in the trailer,  its on its carriage which was loaded up first thing at the MRC.  Just as well  it was covered up well, as we had a hail storm shortly after.
Board two had it's road sanded, then it and any other bit of pollyfilla showing was painted grey.
Board 3 last week's excess grass was hovered up and then static'd to New bits of hill side.
Then much Heather was planted using PVA /blue acrylic  paint mix,  to tone down the rather pink "Heather " , this will be give a short back and sides Next Week as it's a bit tall.
After that some brown trails were painted for the sheep to follow.

Some grass topping up will be required  near the Heather,  then some green washes over the grass to give it more variety...after that  It's time to comply with the railway regulation act 1842 section 10, IE time to put some fences up....

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2019, 10:53:29 PM »
Tonight I first made like granddad and ballasted some track.,.  He was a ganger..

Some hovering of excess grass was done.  Before laying some more.
Then fencing was installed, more to do.

the Heather was given a short back and sides,  it looks s lot better now..

I need to find the box of removed buildings,  there's a cattle dock in there that needs fitting, / painting/ making look more realistic..

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything