!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tiree  (Read 7192 times)

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Tiree
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2018, 06:32:31 AM »
. I did discover the square wire supposedly  1 mm square didn't go into a hole until it was 1.3mm in diameter.
The diagonal of square wire is 1.414 times the length of the sides.  You did well to get 1mm square wire into a 1.3mm diameter hole, but 0.6mm should fit rather loosely in a 1 mm hole.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2018, 06:51:59 AM »
Thanks I'll blame the spell chrcker, I've just had a problem ordering the 0.6 mm wire. The spell checker kept changing the address line  "road" to regards. Also not until I ordered, did it come up temporarily out of stock it won't be delivered till 5th July at the earliest...I'm glad I ticked normal post not 24 hour delivery.

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2018, 07:03:29 AM »
. I did discover the square wire supposedly  1 mm square didn't go into a hole until it was 1.3mm in diameter.
The diagonal of square wire is 1.414 times the length of the sides.  You did well to get 1mm square wire into a 1.3mm diameter hole, but 0.6mm should fit rather loosely in a 1 mm hole.
Yes you are right I forgot that, either way  the 1mm wire seems too heavy, giving a real post size of 6 inches square.
 Having now found a supplier of 0.6 square wire which comes out at a real 3.6 inches square, A coat of paint and it'll be about 4 inches square the normal post size.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 07:05:14 AM by The Q »

Offline kiwi1941

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11394
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2018, 09:49:35 AM »
Having now found a supplier of 0.6 square wire which comes out at a real 3.6 inches square, A coat of paint and it'll be about 4 inches square the normal post size.
Who is the supplier? B
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2018, 05:31:18 PM »
Who is the supplier? B
https://www.cooksongold.com/Base-Metal/Copper-Square-Wire-0.6mm-X-7.5m----Fully-Annealed-prcode-860-1247&query=0.6mm%20square%20wire&channel=uk

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2018, 04:37:38 AM »
Well as I await the fence posts I had another flocking good time, more static grass as applied.
Some went as planned, the grassing of some of the disused track bed round the stone circle.
Some didn't. I attempted the use long static grass to fill some gully's to imitate reads and bullrushes.i bit northern the density nor the uprightness required,  other thought are required as to achieve this..
After that some track from which the rails had been used elsewhere  was cut up and trimmed to use the sleepers  in track buffers and to be left lying around scenically.

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2018, 10:44:25 PM »
Evening all,
This time the  first job was to hoover up all the excess grass from last week.
The grass that remained was better than I thought.
Then I cut and glued. Some sleepers to form some buffers.

Then I realised this is modelled on ,1963, so track maintenance was not as good as it have was. So more flocking around was done...

I think next week another photo or two is required..

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2018, 10:19:16 PM »
Sorry no photos because  forgot this tablet again.
Yesterday the thinner fence post wire arrived, it didn't seem that much different till I got it along side the original. So some fencing was done, in general I'm pleased with the new fence posts and the new "wire" between them. Only my own clumsyness means it's not as neat as I'd like.
I will practice by making more fencing next week.

The posts were painted brown and the wire grey to look a little better. It didn't seem to make the wire look thicker which was good.

I suppose I could have done more but we were too busy pulling up sandbags and telling stories.

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2018, 06:16:14 AM »
Morning,
Ben the Border Collie is in trouble ... He went investigating under a layout, got tangled in cables, pulled a solder station off a table... crash....the lights and everything else went out.
He took out the MRC rooms RCD,
The RCD for most of the building, and the RCD, in the workshop beyond that.

Ben's not getting any pocket money till the solder station is paid for...

It took about half an hour and a phone call to the sites owner to get the power back on.

Prior to that I got 1 length of fence made,  installed, and another started..

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2018, 07:19:35 AM »
Hi The Q,

Sorry to hear of Ben's destruction.

I always find solace in other people's misfortune at times like this so to hopefully ease your pain slightly our border cross retriever Guinness has eaten two of my phones, the TV remote and my false tooth. The replacement tooth cost 200.

I'm a big softy so he was forgiven, eventually.

Don't be too hard on him.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2018, 03:02:50 PM »
Just been to see "world's end" no not the  wonderful model railway but the real thing. I had to drive under to railway viaduct to my little brother's house..

It was his 50th birthday party...

When I got back I found an email to say the solder station was OK, so what caused it to trip the RCDs?
Anyway, Ben's had lots of cuddles and I haven't stopped his pocket money. We await the heat easing before today's long walk..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:15:24 PM by The Q »

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2018, 10:51:46 PM »
Well I went to the MRC without Ben, he has been banned, on the grounds the club's insurance doesn't  cover him tripping someone up..I need to see what we've got covering him...

Just one length of fencing was done, due to me discussing a tablet computer and the arrangements for collecting a trailer, a black 5, and some deer. All from Harry's widow. I'll point out the trailer is 305mm to the foot, the rest is 2mm to the foot...

My fence building is improving.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2018, 08:34:59 AM »
Poor Ben. Unfair for him to be banned owing to potentially clumsy humans ::) ;D

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2018, 10:21:25 PM »
Well,  Ben less,  it was just me to the MRC tonight,  another stretch of fencing was completed.  I think for now, that completes this board number 1.  So in a fortnights time I'll swap boards,  I'll try to remember to take pictures of both this and the arriving board number 3.
The first thing on the arriving board will be, to layout the start of the new fiddle yard, then plan the engineering to support the start of Beinn Ghot under which the fiddle yard will hide. . Once that is done I can plan the bridges and roads that are needed on board 3 to continue  under the viaduct on board 2.

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2018, 10:41:39 PM »
Well I have some photos,
First is the layout as finished last time.

As is picture. 2 from the other way

Picture 3 is the next board (3) propped up so I can remove the 14.led signal lights and their driver boards.  This board is the main in out wiring board for the whole layout,  I think you can see why it took me so long to get going after others had failed. There will be a major rewire once I get to that stage.

Picture 4 is board three in place,  signals removed,  First task is to plan and fit the start of the fiddle yard in the unballested  Area of the board,  before I build a hill side to hide it.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £315.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
105% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything