!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tiree  (Read 15235 times)

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tiree
« Reply #210 on: November 08, 2019, 10:46:36 PM »
Evening all,  it's evil out there,  rain wind cold,  not nice,.
In the somewhat better conditions of the MRC much work was done.

However there is not much to show for it. The ballast I put on the platforms last week looked awful,  much too rough so that was scraped off. A coat of PVA,  thin polyfilla,  and paint mix was put on,  which looks better but is the wrong shade at the moment,  so next week that will need a light sanding and a darker shade painting on.

Then roads were sanded,  and some road side ditches dug. Then I borrowed a double decker from the next layout to try for size.  Panic... Roads much to narrow,  so I started widening roads..  T break called,  after that by chance I borrowed a different bus form the next layout... Roads OK????
Got the ruler out.. The Oxford models "N gauge" double decker was a scale 10ft wide almost!!!  The second a single decker ( also Oxford models) was a scale 7ft. Wide... Panic over,
Back to sanding and then painting roads.  This was followed by a second coat of brown on the stack of fencing.

Next week more fencing to install,  the some weathering of the fencing.
The platforms need work and some ballasting of track needs gluing..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #211 on: November 15, 2019, 10:33:10 PM »
Evening all,
Fencing went well, a dab of thick superglue on the bottom of each verticle,  then a square jar on its side to hold it down while setting worked well
Platform sides were painted dark grey as was some stone plasticard forming a cutting support.
A piece of plasticard was cut and Inset over a road,  onto this a cattle grid and a gate alongside was glued.  Some coating was done with polyfilla PVA mix, to  imitate the herding  track through the gate.  Next week,  that will be grassed / stoned and the road / plasticard either side of the  the cattle grid tarmac painted..
I should add this plasticard is hiding a board joint through the road and is removable.
A little grass work was carried out on board 4 hillside and on board three alongside the fencing.

Next week I think we are due some pictures the fencing makes a big difference to the look of the layout...

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #212 on: November 22, 2019, 11:10:56 PM »
Apologies I forgot to take this gadget with me for more pictures.
Another 18 inches of 3bar fencing installed,  and just over a foot of picket fencing.  .all painted brown with a dry brushed black over all to try and make it look creosoted as per Highland railways..
Picket fencing ( laser cut card )added to the platform areas.
Another 20, 8 inch lengths of 3bar  fencing  painted brown..

I worked out I need 100 20mm fence posts cut from 0.6 mm square wire just for this board..

I measured the platform lengths maximum 3ft 2 inches so that's about 6 coach trains. I now know the minimum length for fiddle yard / traverser/ turntable what ever I can fit in...

That's it for this week goodnight..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #213 on: November 29, 2019, 10:57:21 PM »
Evening all,  guess who forgot to take the gadget to take pictures  again...

Today's work.
Servo tester / servo wired up and demonstrated  looks good for implementation.
Track. Laying and Ballasting on board 3 completed,  probably just a bit of titivation required.
Cattle grid insert grassed where needed,  and some paint applied.

Still to do on board 3, 200 fence posts need cutting and installing.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #214 on: December 06, 2019, 10:22:43 PM »
Soggy evening all,
Yes I remembered the gadget today,  let's see if I can conjure up a piccy or two.
Boards 3 and 4 you should be able to see some fencing.

Board 4,

Board 3s piccy is missing in action,  so I'll try again next week when even more fencing will have been installed.

Over 120 fence posts cut to length and painted brown before I got bored..

Roads darkened with a almost black wash.  It's darker than most dry roads but I need a distinction between them and the rocks..

Some modifications to the cattle grid having inspected pictures of them real thing on Tiree.

Three bar fencing, resin printed , installed near the station,  where it goes up steep slopes,  there are gaps which will need making up with plasticard strip.

I inserted half a dozen fence posts at 10 mm intervals,  the soft peaty ground in the highlands means closer placing of the posts than normal.

I've not put wire between the posts,  at a scale couple of hundred yards you wouldn't see the wire any way.

Tuesday coming,  club Christmas dinner, 

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #215 on: December 13, 2019, 11:23:37 PM »
The club dinner went well, most enjoyable..

Well I spent most of the evening fencing,  over 100 posts inserted  probably the same to go on this one board.... There are Six boards....

A bit of the evening was spent pat testing..  In the box there were ediswan plugs on meccano power supplies.... The Ediswan business died out in 1964....the meccano PSU passed!!  The Triang one of similar vintage failed...

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #216 on: December 20, 2019, 10:56:06 PM »
The second load of fence posts were inserted and painted,  hopefully you can see them below.

Well that's board 3 complete for now so it has been put away,  the layout carriages were reshuffled and board 5 is now loosely in place, so next weeks first task is to make them not so loose.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: December 21, 2019, 06:35:35 AM »
The fence posts look authentic.  Normally you wouldn't se the wires, although in the close up, they might be just visible, although you might need human hair to get them to scale.  :worried:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #218 on: December 21, 2019, 08:24:50 AM »
I don't have enough hair left to wire it up,  though what's left is mostly the right colour..
Grey...

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #219 on: December 31, 2019, 10:37:46 PM »
I've accidentally missed last Tuesday's and Friday's meetings,  and wanting to avoid various shouting programmes ( soap. Operas ) I made sure I'd make it tonight  where I was joined by two others.

Tonight's work was of two halves,
First half attaching two toggle clamps to hold boards 4and five together.
Two problems.
The two boards are at 90 degrees to each other,  so I had the bend the hooks in the e vice to make them hold.
One clamp is stopping board four's scenic front board from  hooking on,  until I cut away some plywood for a recess for the clamp.  For that I need the dremel and Ive left the dremel in the boat where It was being used to sand areas bigger tools cannot reach.

The second task was sealing the ends of   board 5,, For that i used polyfilla mixed with left over paint and PVA which is kept In a jar for the purpose..  The mix was spread over  J cloths.  You can't see this below aa a yukky grey brown colour.

That's it for the year so i wish you  ,

bliadhna Mhath r

Note the step between the scenic board and board 5 due to being unable to hook on.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2020, 11:04:54 PM »
Evening all,
First task today was using a Dremel,  with a diamond disc cutter,  to carve out space for the toggle clamp,  and the moved attachment hook.  That done the front scenic board clipped on OK.  .
Then I marked up when the plywood  shaped new board didn't quite match board  4 and then trimmed of the excess . At this point I noticed I'd made the ply board sides 3 inches high instead of the 2.5 inches of the original boards...  To save a vast amount of work,  I just cut out where the track will run.

After that.. Don't eat yellow snow especially when it's polyisocyanurate, yep I made like slartybartfast again carving celotex for hill sides,  a lot more to go but exactly what I'm not sure.  One area was ten plastered up..

I have to bring one of the upper boards part of Balinoe station to make a decision.
Use board as is... Unlikely
Use just the board deck without framing mount it on new board... Possible.
Strip old upper board and remake station on new boards hillsides.. Possible but I'd prefer not to..
I also need to take in more yellow snow in its solid form.

I have thought of a simpler way of supporting the front scenic boards,  I need more wood,  but there's a piece the right dimensions in the shed.  So that will also be put in the landrover tomorrow.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #221 on: January 10, 2020, 10:53:05 PM »
Much carving and gluing down of white and yellow foam.
A new grass was tried,  it's meant to look like that dark green spikey stuff that lives on soggy bits of ground,  and I think it does.
Some filling and levelling between two. Boards was done..
Piccy I think next week.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2020, 11:07:51 PM »
I forgot to mention I brought a section of upper Balinoe station to the club last week, it didn't fit. So I've decided to wait till board 6 is constructed and in position before seeing what will be the next step for upper Balinoe.

Peco have brought out a very nice Highland railway signal cabin in 00, if it comes out in N I'll be having 4...

This week's work was plastering up the hills of board 5 with the usual PVA polyfilla and water mix on j cloths.

Below you should see a couple of pictures of board 5 in its current state,  and one of board 4, where I've planted the longer semi Marshy grass.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2020, 01:13:40 AM »
That looks like some seriously wild countryside being built there!  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2020, 08:50:05 AM »
That looks like some seriously wild countryside being built there!  :thumbsup:
Thanks, just trying to emulate the Highlands and Islands I remember.

That being said I'm taking a saw to one of the hills on Friday, the one at the front corner of the layout. I've decided it's too big and dominant. Also it will be the site of the war memorial, and I realised it would be lost on that big hill. So i'm going to reduce the hill, so it looks more like this..

https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/165530
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 08:51:06 AM by The Q »

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal