!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tiree  (Read 19283 times)

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tiree
« Reply #195 on: August 26, 2019, 02:47:13 PM »
Sorry for the delay,  gardening and boat rebuilding got in the way

Picture1 pelmets in their  raised exhibition position.

Picture 2 one pelmet in its down transport position,

Picture 3 front scenic board clipped on

Picture 4 scenic board removed,

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #196 on: August 30, 2019, 10:58:40 PM »
Evening all,
I discovered the gap caused by the connection plates  between the front scenic panels and the main board is about 5mm.so two inserts have been marked up,  they will be cut tomorrow.. That will make the edges  better and hide the join more.

I've wrongly modelled a cutting, a foam insert needs to be cut to fill in excess space.
I've also noticed, that I've gotta pelmet support where a layout board need to be.. I can't move either,  a solution is being sought...

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #197 on: September 06, 2019, 10:57:29 PM »
The insert of ply between the front scenic boards fitted well,  they were screwed on the my usual polyfilla mix was back filled  behind the inserts and left to dry.  Next week,  I've no doubt some levelling and then more filling will happen.

I'm still. Not happy with the Heather , I've ordered some purple scatter and am going to try that with the. Static grass..

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2019, 10:05:56 AM »
Its looking really good. Really like the Scottish looking rocky outcrops. Heather looks good in the photos but if you're not happy with it... well I know that feeling. It will eat away at you until you get it right. Nobody elses opinion will matter, you'll just have to change it. It is a curse for us modellers.

Northallerton will make its next public appearance sometime after LOCKDOWN

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2019, 10:08:57 AM »
Well if it helps put the curse to rest, looks alreet to me.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2019, 11:07:05 PM »
Evening all,
Well I wasn't happy with some of last week's plaster work,  some sanding chiselling and replastering was required.  As well as extending the landscape over a removed platform section

I reduced the size of the station car park,  and I have decided where to put, An lodhlann.
The rest of the plasterwork was painted the base colour for grass,  or basic gray from rocks or road.

An experiment of putting a sheet of plasticard between board joins to allow plastering right to the edge,  worked,  so the sheet is in another place tonight.

Some more platforms have just been ordered because I can't find all the originals..so. I know the old ones,  will turn up Tomorrow..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2019, 11:11:43 PM »
Thanks to trackshack on the isle of man the platforms were delivered very quickly,  some of which have been installed on the front scenic board featured above.  I did discover one problem....
When making the plywood infills between scenic board and main board I had calculated platform heights in 4mm scale.. Oops..

So I got my dremel out to cut off the excess,  to find the disk saw blade kept coming off the quick release Arbor too quickly and flying across the room. I had to resort to using grinding discs which didn't last long.  And a tenon saw which didn't fit the gap well.

After that  a flapwheel was used to grid down excess Polly filler,  so I ended up looking like a snowman.. Once I and the working area were cleaned up.  Platform fronts and halved lengthways platform tops were glued in place.  Behind the platform is the car park and station approach , now  too high,  so I chiseled that off,  and also a section where it meets the next board.  These have   now been resurfaced with new thin polyfilla .

Next week once the plasticard divider between the boards has been removed, the end of the bay platform which is the join between boards need facing with more platform edging.  Then the rest of the platforms need assembling and painting.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #202 on: September 27, 2019, 10:02:19 PM »
Well I wasn't planning to do too much because I have a long drive tomorrow,  but actually I did a fair amount
First most of the previous couple of weeks of landscaping was grassed,  a bit more was basic grey painted as rocks.
Then some minor rocky areas particularly at board joins was replastered.
And a road surface filled where it was a bit rough.
Then the white sand in the harbour was just given a touch of cream paint to tone it down a bit.
Next week no Modelling.. We'll be setting out the hall for our show, on the Saturday in Aylsham  that's after removing 100+ chairs and a stage.
  show details  here..
http://broadlandmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/2019-exhibition/

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #203 on: October 06, 2019, 11:17:35 AM »
Morning all,
 I'm sat on the sofa,  recovering from a drive from Scotland about 440 miles with a diversion due to Sutton bridge being resurfaced  on Thursday,
 Friday,  spent getting stuff across to the show hall in my trailer (17.5 miles each way)  , then setting up, then home.
Saturday at the show after getting the traders and exhibitors in, it was stewarding,  with a half hour running a layout while the owner had lunch,  a three link shunting layout hard work... then clearing everyone out and getting everything back to the MRC.

Our next open day is on the last bank holiday weekend in May 2020 in Hoveton , and our next Show 3rd Oct 2020 at Aylsham again.

As it was I arrived at the MRC early on Friday ,  so once loaded up, I was awaiting the others arrival in case there was more to take.

So I did quite a bit of modelling, the purple scatter had arrived finally, having had a holiday in the delivery system. So I've tried some on the hillside of board 4 , alongside the board 3 done with litchen . It's a bit monotone purple at the moment so will probably need some variations with blue or different purple tones.

I like the new method,  it appears to push the hillside back into the distance.  Next week when I've hoovered up the excess, I'll take a few pictures and make a final choice.  I did do a patch on one of the front scenic boards,  that didn't look right,  it looked too flat,  so litchen may well be deployed closer to the front of the boards.

Additionally  I sanded some roads and then repainted them grey,  and grassed between the rocks of lower hillside of board 4.

Once board 3 is re-heathered if required,  some tracks need fixing down, the platform installed,  ballasting done and some fencing installed.  Then its completed scenically, so it will get stored beneath board 4.
Board 4's trolley will then get pulled out into the center of the room,  and board 5 placed on board 6s trolley.  Board 5 is the corner board,  so some rearrangement of how I've got my borrowed area of the club house laid out will be required.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #204 on: October 11, 2019, 11:24:16 PM »
Further work on Heather's bush.. That's purple bush foliage from wws I've glued some on top of the purple scatter of last week and Heather looks better.

The old lichen was removed mostly,  then given the same scatter and Bush glued on.
Before and after pics when I've processed them.

Some platforms were assembled and installed but I've run out. More to. Order.

Goodnight.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #205 on: October 18, 2019, 10:51:29 PM »
Evening all,
There were just two of us at the MRC,  and we are both suffering from a severe cold,  we suspect the others are suffering too.  Probably picked up at our show with all those crowds..

I was late getting to the MRC as our car is sick as well,  failing the MOT with a faulty front shock absorber,  which just about means a full rebuild of the front suspension both sides.

So this evening I had to drop SWMBo off at her art group before going to the MRC.
I'm really concentrating on board 3 now,  some track was laid,  and ballast loosely laid.
Then I had to pack up early,  because they are redecorating the club,  and Tiree needed disconnecting and moving into the middle of the room away from the walls.

Next week if I can I have some holes to fill in from old point motor arms,  more ballast to be laid , with the application of PVA.
Oh I've had a delivery of more fencing,  post and rail, plastic printex and laser cut picket fencing for round the station 

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #206 on: October 25, 2019, 11:05:58 PM »
7 people this week at the MRC,  an improvement on last week.

Tiree is now back in her normal position although most other layouts have moved a bit to create more room.
I spent most of the time assembling platform sections from kits some are now fixed in position,  others will be.
New stock of glue arrived in the week,  thick and thin plastic cement,  plus thick superglue.
The thick superglue is to stick down fencing..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2019, 01:54:33 PM »
Just realised it's Spalding MRC show this weekend, it's the furthest I go to at the moment.. I like this show, if Ive counted right 10 of the thirty layouts are in N...

https://www.spaldingmodelrailwayclub.org.uk/exhibition/

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #208 on: November 01, 2019, 10:36:29 PM »
Evening all,
Today's work, 
Filling some ex signal post holes,
Painting lots of fencing grey / brown,
Filling between a platform and the embankment,
Installing two 8 inch lengths of fencing.
Making a road look smoother, less like a badly ploughed field.
Gluing ballast to platform tops,  some smoothing with polyfilla will be required as it looks too rough.
Washing trousers...  Yep,  knocked over half a yogurt pot of PVA,  polyfilla and paint mix onto my trousers...

Spalding show Tomorrow for me... Bye..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #209 on: November 02, 2019, 05:18:59 PM »
Just back from the Spalding MRC show,  very good show this year,  lots of quality N gauge  layouts..

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal