!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tiree  (Read 10265 times)

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tiree
« Reply #180 on: May 31, 2019, 09:40:49 PM »
Evening Awl,
Well nothing was done on tiree tonight,  I had a meeting about the 3 Rivers Race.
Tomorrow is the start of the 59th running of the 3 Rivers Race, 100 sailing boats from 14ft to 40ft . Sailing a course of 50 miles which includes lowering your mast 4 times to get under 3 bridges. And you have 24 hours to do it. The record is about 8 hours, the worst only 13 boats finished.
It's classed as the toughest inland waterway race in Europe the 3rd toughest mass participation event in the UK. Here's a video clip which shows an introduction the start of the race and near the end going through Potter Heigham bridge. I'm in there somewhere, but this year I'm one of 100 ish volunteers helping to run the race.. I'll be on a boat
on hickling broad counting the boats round the turning point. Radioing the details back to control.  I'm leaving here,  08:00 I'll get back probably Sunday 15:00 having not been to sleep.
 https://youtu.be/mnWHWgAnXGI

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #181 on: June 07, 2019, 11:31:00 PM »
well no work on the layout this week either. As we had a debrief on the race.
It itself went well,  about 70 finishers of the 102 that started. The winner finishing in under 8 hours the last boat home in about 22 hours we have had enquiries about next years race already.

We unusually had a 999 incident,  one husband failed to secure a mast and it fell giving a glancing blow to the face of his wife.. I doubt he'll ever be not reminded of it by her.

One thing came out of that.. Ambulance crews are not allowed even onto a moored boat without the presence of a lifeboat crew and the fire brigade..our own rescue boat crew and our  people at that site got the casualty ashore from the moored boat for the ambulance to take away.  Luckily the two man crew of our rescue  boat included a GP.

All. Our guardships include at least, first aid trained people. Each of the 10 guardships a 30ft motorboat,  has an accompanying rescue boat. I with others man a  guardship / rescue boat pair,  for the duration of the race with radio contact to base, full first aid gear.  Maps to getting designated ambulance pick up points and lists of emergency procedures ( with training).

It's the first time in years it's been needed,  but I just listened to it occurring 10miles away on our radios.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #182 on: June 12, 2019, 07:57:34 AM »
And back to muddling railways..

As I'm sat here unable to move while waiting for a 10 G Ohm resistor  to settle, (7 such measurements to do.) I've been considering the proscenium arch / light pelmet.

I's occured to me that as I have just over 5 foot head room in the trailer and the highest point on the layout is about 4 ft . I could have the pelmet permanently mounted, on  sliding brackets to the back of the layout.

So when in transport it's slid down to just above the layout, giving a total height of about 4ft 8inches.
Then when the layout acheives it's position at a show, slide the pelmet up to 6 ft at it's bottom edge, and pull the front out to inline with the outer edge of the dropped  flap.  it's done..

Considerations at the moment,
Is aluminum tube needed for strength?
What clamping mechanisms are needed or would  pins / bolts do the job?

Measurements will Be taken and maybe an experiment or two over the weekend

Layout / arch combinations are an interesting topic, many are built as a layout "coffin" with the arch built in of wood. (easy for transport). Especially with the advent of laser cut baseboard kits.

If you have the layout base at say 4 ft so a average height person can see through the "slot",  then children and wheelchair users can't see the layout.

If it's low enough for wheel chair users then the top of the arch means the average person has to duck to see the layout and can hit their head on the pelmet.

The above is why I've not converted Tiree into a "coffin" layout.
Tiree will have the base level is just over 3ft, and the pelmet base no less than 6ft, so I don't hit my head.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: June 12, 2019, 09:28:31 AM »
Reminds me of the 2 Chinese shopkeepers........

Me So Lo - can't see over counter
Me So Hi - head bump ceiling

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2019, 10:00:59 PM »
Well carriage 3 had the slot cut in the side,  then the shelf for it fitted inside.  the board that wil Go inside is inside.  But it's not finished yet,  as the shelf sides have yet to be fitted. I would have done those but some guests turned up and I lost too much time talking to them.
Lots of measurements have been taken  for the pelmet and supports.
Problem.. The only place for two of the supports is in the way of the triangular infill on which the radar station  should stand.  The radar station will have to move,  but as yet I haven't worked out where to.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2019, 10:24:46 PM »
evening all,
Sides to first shelf fitted
Hole cut in another carriage
Reinforcement and support battens fitted
Shelf In place but not yet glued and screwed 
Next week
Sides to be cut and fitted.
Start fitting pelmet  supports.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2019, 10:53:27 PM »
Shelf fitted and sides.
Pelmet support fitted,  failure, too thin wood battens but if I increase the size of them then that will cause fitting problems.. More thought needed..

As I had the saw out, I cut the initial wood for the baseboard for a micro layout being made by the lady that gave me Tiree..

Most of the evening spent pulling up a sandbag and telling stories.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #187 on: July 05, 2019, 10:37:53 PM »
Evening all,
The carriage mounted verticles for the pelmet were fitted on one carriage with same wood but thinner screws.  The sliding verticles were inserted and the top joined between the two and 8inches below that for reinforcement.
This took longer than I'd hoped, as I did need to stop and think..
Next week I should do the other carriage , and start fitting the pelmet on the first on...

Next week I should also remember this tablet so you can see some pictures of what I'm on about..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #188 on: July 12, 2019, 10:34:35 PM »
Sadly just the verticles on the other carriage were fitted as the club had a prospective member visit,  and my saw is noisy

So I'll. Make a kit of parts this weekend from the measurements I've taken and install them next week..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #189 on: July 19, 2019, 10:30:53 PM »
Evening all,
A huge step. Forward on the pelmet front, there are now two carriages with pelmets fitted,  one still needs corner reinforcement,  then both need sanding filling and painting.
The outsides will be HR olive Green,  the insides white..
Picture Next Week now I have something to show..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #190 on: July 30, 2019, 08:42:00 AM »
Notes, are a bit late this week as we had a lightening strike nearby, and all 5 houses at our end of the village have had their routers fried.. This is being typed at work while I wait for the next measurement to settle..

On Friday I painted the pelmets twice, they dried exceedingly quickly in the heat. Then I attached two of the vinyl Tiree totems, it looks quite good.

Sat during the intermediate waiting time I was studying the problem of the inserts to the lift up flap sections. They get damaged in transit as they tend to roll over..
I was coming to the conclusion that they either needed fixing down some how or needed a transit box. when another member said why not get rid of the hinges and just have the flap and insert as one plug in module..

I originally had the hinged sections when I thought they would be transported in boxed units. Now they are on carriages, the hinged sections are not needed. So next time I may well be removing them and rebuilding the inserts and flaps into one unit. per board.  I have an idea on how they will be attached, but further thought will be required.

One measurement taken,

When the next time is I'm not sure, next week from Saturday is Regatta week, for which I'm on rescue boat duty all 7 Days.  I'll Probably go on Friday for a reduced time, but won't attend the following Friday. As regatta week is two race series Saturday on the Broad  followed by a meal / social event, 4 Race series of  Sunday on the Broad, followed by a social event. Monday to Friday is 6 Race series on the river (see top two web cams) followed by A social event mostly with a meal.

A race series is up to 10 starts at 5  minute intervals, each race being an hour from your start, so a race series can last 2 hours. Each start could have 20 boats in it though more likely 10 boats ..

If you want to watch the chaos we cause on the Broads, 09:30 - 17:00 Monday to Friday you'll see us on here https://horning-sailing.club/webcams.php
You won't normally see me as I'm on duty up round the corner in the right hand top picture.

Next measurement taken, time to set up for the next one... Bye for now...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 09:01:18 AM by The Q »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #191 on: August 02, 2019, 10:06:55 PM »
Well I did attend for a short time,  two coats of light blue were painted on the inside of the pelmets  but it needs more.
That's it, more from me in a fortnight,  regatta starts  tomorrow..

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #192 on: August 02, 2019, 10:11:01 PM »
have a grand time. The Regatta sounds fun. Hopefully you won't have to do lots of rescuing. Look forward to your updates. :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #193 on: August 16, 2019, 10:25:29 PM »
well the regatta went well,  my only rescues were a 45ft hire boat that drifted down onto some of our moored yachts,  I had to pull his bow off, so he was pointing away from the yachts before he could engage his engine.  Then I had to go back colkect his crew who had gone onto the yachts to stop the rear of their boat hitting the yachts.

The other rescue was a small Day boat that had a fuel blockage, they had broken down where there was no phone signal so couldn't phone the yard for help.  I towed them to the club,  where someone then took the crew back to the yard..

Back to todays modeling,  a 34mm square beam was glued and screwed to the previously hinging scenic flap, two interlocking plates were screwed on and the matching plates screwed to the front of the layout. Then the flap was hooked on.... And it works..

So the insert had a section  cut out to match the beam then the insert was glued with PVA polyfilla mix and the join filled.  Some sanding and filling will be required next week

A second. Flap had it's beam attached and it's insert modified to fit but not yet attached

I really must take this tablet Next Week so you can see the changes...

Tomorrow  the M&GN show at North walsham...

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything