!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tiree  (Read 15446 times)

Online The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tiree
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2019, 10:22:04 PM »
Evening all,
Board 4 was moved 5 inches on its carriage, I needed 4, but 5 meant the piano hinge screw holes lined up so only two new pilot holes were needed one end.
Board 4.scenic flap was attached to the front.. Mostly..  I forgot to take a piece of wood to strengthen one side. The foam weighted down last week was carved to make a section of Scarinish harbour much cut down in size. More polystyrene was added in some places to remove the flat earth look.
Another grey coat of paint was applied to rocks and a green undercoat coat applied to those areas that will be static grassed.

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2019, 02:19:38 PM »
 Two Highland Railways banking tanks have arrived,  one with chassis one without. Both appear to have been well made.  They have good paint jobs which is unfortunate because they are both painted LMS and I want HR.

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2019, 10:32:53 PM »
evening All,
I remembered the bit of wood to day another front scenic flap is properly attached.
After that the polystyrene on the flap was plastered with my usual mix of j cloths PVA and plaster .some shaping of rock was also done,  also two polystyrene scenic inserts were plastered.

Next week the inserts can be... Inserted  and the scenery that crosses from front flap to main board adjusted to look as one..

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2019, 10:26:39 PM »
Evening all,
The inserts were inserted.. With a bit of trimming,  a little more needs doing,  and some building up in some places.
Another layer of polystyrene was added at one end of Athens board 4.insert as it was found to be too low to match the main board,  after trimming to shape it got coated with the usual mix. Left over mix was used to give a more natural  uneveness to the tops of the flap boards.
Then waste paint from the leftovers bottle,  which is mostly grey was deployed on all. Rocks and the flap front edges,  after which some light green was painted where it's not grey except on the future beach.. left over green was added tontge waste bottle..

Much talk of our open day 26th May Hoveton village hall  10:30 - 16:30, we're having to charge 3:50 entry  to cover the cost of the hall. Should be a couple of N gauge running and Tiree under construction,  an 009,  and several 00 gauge, our second hand stall,  plus tea. Coffee and cake for sale. http://broadlandmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/club-open-day/

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2019, 10:48:19 PM »

Much talk of our open day 26th May Hoveton village hall  10:30 - 16:30, we're having to charge 3:50 entry  to cover the cost of the hall.

erm - web site states 3.00 adult entry (just to show I'm paying attention in class)

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2019, 05:02:48 PM »
 Err yes I think I got that wrong,   still,  that means it's an even better bargain to come and visit..

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2019, 03:23:06 PM »
I may have mentioned the layout will travel in a trailer , I've spent today and yesterday building the hard top.  This is roughly  4ft above the trailer sides so giving about a 5ft head room on the 6ft by 4ft Trailer..
The hard top Is 1/4 ply framed with 2 by 1 timber. All exterior joins were taped with fibreglass
The outside is painted green, the inside white.
I've  the rear door to finish because I ran out of screws,  to paint a ramp and make a mount for it on the front of the hard top.

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #172 on: May 17, 2019, 10:31:19 PM »
the screws, another pack of ten piano hinges and a staple and hasp for the trailer door arrived the next day just 18hours  after the order...

Evening all,
This week's work was more polyfilla narrowing the gaps between inserts and front  flap,  and a lot of static grass work.  Not much work on the layout really. This was mostly because I pat tested 20 extension cables ready for next Sundays open day.  I did have a bad feeling about one cable when I turned over the socket on the end and it said.... Empire made... It failed...

Oh I've taken some more piccies  I should process them tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:32:34 PM by The Q »

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #173 on: May 24, 2019, 09:51:58 PM »
Evening all,
Just back from the MRC where very little modelling was carried out by anyone,  ,mostly because everyone was packing up the model railways ready for the open day on Sunday.
We actually have access to the hall from 15:00 tomorrow,  so we'll be moving in the layouts then.
So tomorrow morning I have to attach the stays to the trailer that will stop the upper rear door landing on my head.
Then load the trailer with the layout sections I have here. Then after lunch head for the MRC to load up with the stuff from there. Then off to the hall.

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #174 on: May 25, 2019, 07:43:46 PM »
 Well most of the layouts are installed in Hoveton village  hall, for tomorrow's open daya couple of pictures,  first the hall itself,  second Tiree all boards together..

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #175 on: May 25, 2019, 08:36:01 PM »
Looks a very neat arrangement.
Anyone on guard duty tonight? :uneasy:

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #176 on: May 26, 2019, 06:08:53 AM »
None,
 Hoveton is a small town population 1800, not the huge metropolis of market deeping  population 6000.

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: May 26, 2019, 07:39:27 AM »
None,
 Hoveton is a small town population 1800, not the huge metropolis of market deeping  population 6000.

How infuriating.  I have to work today, otherwise I would come and see the layout.  It's less than an hour away. Good luck with the open day, hope you get plenty of interest.

Richard

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #178 on: May 26, 2019, 08:00:53 PM »
Thanks,  the day went well,  we had a huge amount of visitors until heavy rain slowed the flow at 13:00 ish.
I did a fair amount of carpentry and polystyrene carving .  Then cleared the snowstorm  before opening time. After that I plastered the newly created hillside aka seagull rock,  aka Scarinish.  Then it was onto painting the landscape.

There were many interruptions as I explained the history of the layout and many enquired as to my landscaping methods. Some demos of static grassing were also carried out. This tablet has pictures of Tiree and the abandoned radar station  which were used in the demos..

The much mentioned carriages for the layout were a great success,  the legs for the lift up doors/ layout supports  were a failure.  A redesign using inter carriage beams is being considered.

Also the loose boards were to be mounted on their side in the carriages.  This means lying under the doors on your side to pull them out. Not good.  They will now be pushed in from the back mounted up the right way.

Even with the problems above,  I cleared the layout and all the modelling materials on my own. Then hit the road in 45 minutes while there were teams still packing smaller layouts by assembling them into board over board transport units.

I think the next club session or two will be spent doing major surgery to the carriages in light of the above problems . Once done this should reduce assembly and disassembly
 time further.

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #179 on: May 27, 2019, 08:13:38 AM »
 further thoughts..
The as yet unbuilt proscenium arch, will need a redesign as the old design won't fit in the carriages with the layout boards horizontal.

Three of the six inserts to the folding sections rolled over in transit, damaging the scenic side, holders are required but how? .

The door frame to the trailer hard top is flexing too much, some reinforcement is required.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal