!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 126331 times)

Offline GreyWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #1740 on: May 21, 2019, 06:12:28 AM »
Haven't tried this Focus Stacking process myself yet; but a quick search found a number of FREE packages:
https://listoffreeware.com/best-free-focus-stacking-software-windows/

Cheers  :beers:

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #1741 on: May 21, 2019, 07:56:34 PM »
And No.1 on that list is Picolay. I tried several free programs but settled on Picolay as the best option despite the alignment problem. But a proper photo editor like Photoshop or Affinity Photo would, I think, be a better option as they allow hand tweaking of the final image. The more I read about Affinity the more appealing it becomes, the only snag being the need to learn how to use another complex program!

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1742 on: May 22, 2019, 04:09:40 PM »
have been wondering whether to invest in a program called Affinity Photo
Roger, the only photo editing I do is in Google Photos. I limit my use to the Auto setting and cropping. The price of Affinity is so attractive I'm tempted to buy it, however, after considering PhotoShop several times and deciding the benefit/cost ratio wasn't sufficiently attractive. I'm a sucker for a good deal, but Affinity is much more than I'll ever be able to learn much less use! Good luck if you decide to commit to it.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1743 on: May 22, 2019, 10:34:05 PM »
I'll report back on Affinity if I decide to give it a try. It won't be until I've got a new computer though.

Meanwhile the shunting in the goods yard is complete and the train is ready to go. But first something more important passes by...

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1744 on: May 22, 2019, 10:45:32 PM »
Splendid picture, Roger.

I don't normally use the cartoon-thingies, but I think this picture requires an exception!

:goggleeyes: :heart2: :greatpicturessign:

Photo-realism at its best.  Thank you very much indeed.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1745 on: May 22, 2019, 11:21:15 PM »
Another nice pic Roger, by the way I have just noticed that Affinity Photo is only 19.99 for my I-pad, it is only supported on certain models i pad pro and i pad air2 for example. I am not sure if the program has the same capability, and then you have to load the pics to the i pad, I have i cloud on my computer so I could do it that way.

ps just read it says focus merg and hdr merg and it opens raw files etc.By the way I have ps elements 2019 but when i choose focus stacking it takes me to photo stacking which is entirely different.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 11:38:26 PM by lil chris, Reason: xtra text »
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #1746 on: May 23, 2019, 12:48:21 AM »
Hi Roger sorry for hi jacking your thread but I have just found a plugin for PS Elements for 12.40, it's called Elements +. You can do Focus stacking with Elements I found some instructions how to do it. But it's a bit messy, you can only load two images at a time, so it would take some time to do 25 images. With the above plugin you can do a lot more, it includes scripts for adding photo details and things like that plus focus stacking.

Hopefully soon I can post some nice pics like yours of my layout, the model layout will not be has good but hopefully my pictures will have improved. Thanks again Roger for the inspirational modeling.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #1747 on: May 23, 2019, 12:50:45 AM »
Thank you for sharing your beautiful work

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1748 on: May 24, 2019, 09:04:15 PM »
Another nice pic Roger, by the way I have just noticed that Affinity Photo is only 19.99 for my I-pad, it is only supported on certain models i pad pro and i pad air2 for example. I am not sure if the program has the same capability, and then you have to load the pics to the i pad, I have i cloud on my computer so I could do it that way.

I think it must be a scaled down version, Chris. There may be some videos on YouTube. Talking of which, after my broadband came back on after a break of a few hours last night I found a video showing the Elements+ plugin doing a three layer focus stack and by implication it's capable of more. It seemed to produce just what I would expect - all the layers had layer masks added which could presumably be hand edited if required. Sounds like a good option, but as I don't have Elements it would be more expensive that Affinity. More thought required...

Here's the final shot in the 4MT shunting sequence. The completed train leaving the goods yard.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #1749 on: May 24, 2019, 09:06:41 PM »
thank you .    a very realistic train set on a beautiful layout

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #1750 on: May 25, 2019, 12:00:12 AM »
Another excellent pic Roger, the level of detail is amazing.
Lil Chris

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1751 on: May 26, 2019, 06:28:08 PM »
I haven't found time for any modelling lately - the garden took priority.  But this weekend I thought I'd have another go at making a signal box based on the one at Crowcombe Heathfield. An earlier effort hit the buffers when some blood found its way onto the brickwork. So a couple of afternoons' work results in this, suitable for signalmen with high jumping skills and a good raincoat.

The prototype appears to have much redder brickwork (maybe the blood wasn't so wrong!) but the courses didn't seem very well defined in the photos I have. So instead I used a brick texture downloaded from textures.com. I decided to use my usual printed windows technique. Wrenton's signal box has etched windows and a fitted interior - which I can only see by pointing a torch at the model! One advantage of the printed windows is that the glazing bars can be made much finer than etched ones.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #1752 on: May 26, 2019, 06:37:11 PM »
seriously looking very professional

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #1753 on: May 26, 2019, 11:11:56 PM »
Just enjoyed this thread and the discussions on stacking and superb photos. Sublime!

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #1754 on: May 27, 2019, 11:32:44 AM »
The prototype appears to have much redder brickwork (maybe the blood wasn't so wrong!) but the courses didn't seem very well defined in the photos I have. So instead I used a brick texture downloaded from textures.com.
Hi Roger excellent work as usual.
Can I ask what scale you print the Textures.com brickwork to emulate N gauge?
Regards Dennis.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here