!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 183870 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #1500 on: March 04, 2019, 08:07:16 AM »
I hope you start to feel better soon Roger.
That is a super photo of Wrenton.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #1501 on: March 04, 2019, 09:51:47 PM »
Thanks Martin. I did a bit more work on my new building today, adding the roof sub-structure.

The three chimney stacks in the foreground await some attention with the paint brush. After taking the photo I started adding the actual roofs.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1502 on: March 05, 2019, 09:21:42 PM »
A couple of hours today (well, it may have been a bit longer!) sees the rest of the roof added, covered with printed slate paper and the chimney stacks glued into place - though they still need some paintwork and a suggestion of the flashing at their bases.

And from a lower angle:

I'm still trying to work out how to model the porch which looks a bit fiddly - thank you GWR. Some simplification will be required, I think.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1503 on: March 05, 2019, 09:31:58 PM »
The buildings is looking good, I admire your skill. Get well by the way your health comes first.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online LASteve

• N Gauge Society Number: 28183
    • Awards
« Reply #1504 on: March 05, 2019, 09:40:07 PM »

Lucky you, Steve!

You'll be quite amused to know that I thought the B&W photograph was of the real thing. The church and the cottages/houses are so recognizable I didn't look any further!

That house you're working on is excellent. Fantastic modelling!

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1505 on: March 05, 2019, 10:40:34 PM »
The buildings is looking good, I admire your skill. Get well by the way your health comes first.

Thanks Chris. I'm not doing too much at once and my head has felt a bit clearer the last couple of days. My arms and hands ache, though. Having to be careful with the scalpel!

You'll be quite amused to know that I thought the B&W photograph was of the real thing. The church and the cottages/houses are so recognizable I didn't look any further!

That house you're working on is excellent. Fantastic modelling!

And thanks Steve, good to know it can, at least briefly, be mistaken for the real thing! By the way, what took you to Finchingfield?

Online LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #1506 on: March 05, 2019, 10:53:35 PM »
By the way, what took you to Finchingfield?
My ex and I were living in London and we had a two-year-old at the time. Her parents lived in Hertfordshire and were getting on in years, so we thought it would be a good thing to be closer to them (but not too close!) and give our daughter some breathing room in the country. The estate agent found us a rental which was going to be perfect, that's why we ended up between Finchingfield and Wethersfield. It did leave me quite the commute, as I was working in Central London. I'd take the bus to Braintree, get the branch line to Witham, main line to Liverpool Street, two tubes to Soho. The bus actually began the route in Finchingfield, but no-one ever got on there, so the driver would stop outside my house, pick me up and turn around and head to Braintree. I'd tell him if I wasn't going into work on any particular date so he didn't need to drive any further than Wethersfield. Not sure you'd get that kind of service nowadays.   :)

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1507 on: March 05, 2019, 11:05:45 PM »
Yes, that's quite a commute! Probably worth it though, to be able to live near such lovely villages. My earliest memories of the area are back in the '50s and it then felt like being in another world, coming from London.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1508 on: March 06, 2019, 09:04:14 PM »

Steve - I thought you, and maybe one or two others, might be interested in this photo of the real Finchingfield. It dates from 1905 at the latest. The original Green Man is still standing (just in front of the church) and that was the year when it burnt down.

No progress to report on the current build, by the way.

Online LASteve

• Awards
« Reply #1509 on: March 06, 2019, 11:58:12 PM »

Steve - I thought you, and maybe one or two others, might be interested in this photo of the real Finchingfield.

That's great, very interesting! Thanks for posting.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1510 on: March 07, 2019, 10:02:55 PM »
Chimney pots have been painted, flashing round the bases of the stacks added (strips of newspaper which have been soaked in diluted grey acrylic and stuck on with Pritt Stick) and a roof added to the small outshot. Here's a view of the back of the building which seems to be where I'm making mistakes. Still, they won't be seen if the model ever makes it onto a layout. And the camera is sooooo cruel!

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1511 on: March 07, 2019, 10:11:12 PM »
That looks okay to me and I can only see one slight misalignment. I like your method for making flashing. :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1512 on: March 08, 2019, 07:54:20 AM »
Lovely worl Roger, I don't think I have ever lived in a house with a straight line in sight  :)  and that includes new builds.  Looks terrific to my eye

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1513 on: March 08, 2019, 10:50:54 AM »
Smashing build, Roger. Just the pipework to come now??

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1514 on: March 08, 2019, 11:13:46 AM »
Smashing build, Roger. Just the pipework to come now??

Thanks Mick. I think the porch will have to come first as a pipe skirts round it. Don't think it will be today, either, as I had yet another bad night and my head isn't truly engaging with the outside world. Might try a photo or two of the layout later if I feel a bit better.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal