!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 127520 times)

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #1275 on: November 21, 2018, 10:47:46 PM »
You might get away with 009  :D

I did that about fifty years ago! I think I still have the locos and some rolling stock in a box somewhere...don't tempt me.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1276 on: November 22, 2018, 09:05:13 PM »
Just had a look at your referenced thread of Messers Downes and Robinson. Now I know where you got your inspiration from. WOW! Incredible modelling.

I only found Allan's work when most of Wrenton's buildings were done, but it's certainly inspiring! Almost makes me want to try one of those larger scales - or is that sacrilege around here?!

Hopefully not!  I have a notion for a narrow gauge project in a larger scale.  But not a train set this time; a model railway!

Maybe the fabulous folk who administer our fantastic Forum would allow a little 'other scales' corner for us existing N Gauge modellers - a bit like we already have for full-sized trains.

John
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:24:52 PM by Bealman »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1277 on: November 23, 2018, 11:46:50 AM »
I have a notion for a narrow gauge project in a larger scale.  But not a train set this time; a model railway!

Maybe the fabulous folk who administer our fantastic Forum would allow a little 'other scales' corner for us existing N Gauge modellers - a bit like we already have for full-sized trains.

John

Well 009 is definitely N gauge - the forum name says nothing about the scale! I look forward to seeing what you build, John.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1278 on: November 25, 2018, 09:30:09 PM »
Here's a photo that's included in the RM article but, for some reason, I've never posted here.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1279 on: November 27, 2018, 10:04:05 PM »
The church yard seen from above, the camera mounted on a rather crude extension arm on the tripod. I'm sure one day it will collapse and damage the layout...

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1280 on: November 27, 2018, 11:37:20 PM »
Just had a look at your referenced thread of Messers Downes and Robinson. Now I know where you got your inspiration from. WOW! Incredible modelling.

I only found Allan's work when most of Wrenton's buildings were done, but it's certainly inspiring! Almost makes me want to try one of those larger scales - or is that sacrilege around here?!

Hopefully not!  I have a notion for a narrow gauge project in a larger scale.  But not a train set this time; a model railway!

John

I for one don't have a problem with that idea..... I built a 009 layout in 1977 - in fact I think there's a picture of it on the forum somewhere.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #1281 on: November 28, 2018, 12:56:00 PM »
Nice modelling , but  Christian burials are always with the head towards the east. So they should be laid so the head end of the  grave, is the same end as the nave of the church. not curved round the path. So east should be roughly just to the left of the top right hand corner of the picture.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:57:49 PM by The Q »

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1282 on: November 28, 2018, 03:09:41 PM »
Nice modelling , but  Christian burials are always with the head towards the east. So they should be laid so the head end of the  grave, is the same end as the nave of the church. not curved round the path. So east should be roughly just to the left of the top right hand corner of the picture.

If you Google Finchingfield and look at the church in satellite view you'll find that although the layout of the church yard is a bit different to my model there are several examples of graves which follow the line of paths. There's a prototype for everything!

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1283 on: November 29, 2018, 03:28:14 PM »
Hi Roger,

Great photos.  :D

I have just seen the "Railway Modeller" article, congratulations on that ...... excellent writing, and as usual, more awesome photos. :thumbsup:  :D  :thumbsup:

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1284 on: November 29, 2018, 04:48:25 PM »
Great photos.

I have just seen the "Railway Modeller" article, congratulations on that ...... excellent writing, and as usual, more awesome photos.

Thanks Kevin! Have you submitted an article about Windmill Hill? I think it would inspire a lot of people who think that they have no space for a layout.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1285 on: November 29, 2018, 09:34:21 PM »
Great photos.

I have just seen the "Railway Modeller" article, congratulations on that ...... excellent writing, and as usual, more awesome photos.

Thanks Kevin! Have you submitted an article about Windmill Hill? I think it would inspire a lot of people who think that they have no space for a layout.

Seconded!

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1286 on: December 02, 2018, 09:49:29 PM »
Iíve been experimenting with seafoam trees. Although there are three or four on Wrenton I do find they can be a bit unconvincing and, of course, very fragile if not treated in some way. When making a couple of twisted wire trees Iíd tried coating the wire with latex liquid rubber instead of soldering and plastering them. The advantage of this method is that the branches can still be bent into new positions without the risk of cracking plaster. I wondered if the latex could be used in conjunction with seafoam.

For this first experiment I briefly dipped pieces of seafoam into the latex. I used a cocktail stick to remove the latex which filled spaces between 'branches' and then hung up the larger pieces to dry. Small pieces were left to dry on newspaper. When dry the pieces can be bent without any fear of them breaking, though they will spring back into their original shape.

I chose some pieces that could be joined together to form a reasonable tree shape and bound them together with tissue paper coated with glue to form the trunk. I also incorporated a short length of 1.5mm diameter steel rod to give added bulk and strength. I then built up around the trunk with artistsí acrylic modelling paste, hiding the tissue paper. After painting I sprinkled on Woodland Scenics Blended Turf fixed with the usual maximum hold hair spray. (I do get funny looks when I buy three cans of hair spray at a time, not having much hair to use them on!) Here are a couple of samples of the resulting trees.

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1287 on: December 02, 2018, 10:16:22 PM »
I think these look great, the sea foam giving quite a realistic leaf appearance.cheers, Timmo
Thereís the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1288 on: December 02, 2018, 11:40:34 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, I've seen seafoam mentioned in model railway articles over the years, but I've never known what it is!

What is it, exactly, and where do I get it?  :hmmm:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1289 on: December 03, 2018, 12:39:25 AM »

I agree Roger, Sea foam is pretty fragile, and what a great idea using latex to strengthen it. I am currently replacing the sea foam trees on Windmill Hill with stronger ones of sea foam over these wire armatures ....

https://www.howardscenicsupplies.co.uk/categories/Trees/?sort=featured&page=5

There were 65, of varying size in the pack. They come bare like this, or with flock added.

I used them as they come for "low relief" trees against the backscene, or fleshed out with sea foam and plaster on the trunks for more bulky trees.

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here