!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 127356 times)

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #615 on: March 03, 2018, 02:05:14 PM »
I tend to throw anything into a parcels rake, as witnessed in this Southampton to Oxford working slowing for a signal.....

Passing the Lancashire Keys I see. I'd heard of the Florida Keys, but this is a new one on me  :smiley-laughing:

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #616 on: March 03, 2018, 09:21:24 PM »
Another shot with the camera mounted on the backscene. The goods yard needs a bit more clutter, I think, and I've been painting a Peco wagon kit to become a grounded van which will go to the right of the goods shed in this shot. The gardens of the railway cottages in the foreground need something more, too.

Moving along a bit gives this view of the rest of the goods yard.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #617 on: March 03, 2018, 09:30:30 PM »
I'm sure you'll be adding some human life to both gardens and goods area and think that will bring things to life a bit more.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #618 on: March 03, 2018, 09:36:22 PM »
Nice to see a scratch built goods shed. Even though the Ratio one is a lovely little kit, you do tend to see a lot of them.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #619 on: March 03, 2018, 09:56:20 PM »
I'm sure you'll be adding some human life to both gardens and goods area and think that will bring things to life a bit more.

How many people would be in a small goods yard? I was thinking of a couple of guys taking a break and perched on one of the crates near the crane, and the cattle dock probably needs a figure too. I think my platforms have too many passengers for a small station, but perhaps it's rush hour! But I agree that figures do add to a scene.

It's interesting that some visitors looking at the layout spend ages exploring the village looking for little details and aren't in the least bit interested in the trains!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #620 on: March 03, 2018, 10:00:42 PM »
A bit like Minatur Wunderland, Roger. There's so much else going on, the trains are almost irrelevant!  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #621 on: March 03, 2018, 10:02:51 PM »
As far as houses/gardens go, I have seen many layouts with a window cleaner up a ladder, swings/washing lines etc in the garden along with the odd dog. I think it depends on the 'clutter' you use in the goods area but I'd suggest some pipes, crates and maybe some milk churns even. One or two guys having a ciggie or reading a newspaper while taking a break, although such figures may be the more expensive type from the likes of Preiser/Noch etc. Cheapie figures tend to look like something out of a bad zombie film :goggleeyes:

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #622 on: March 03, 2018, 11:20:39 PM »
As far as houses/gardens go, I have seen many layouts with a window cleaner up a ladder, swings/washing lines etc in the garden along with the odd dog. I think it depends on the 'clutter' you use in the goods area but I'd suggest some pipes, crates and maybe some milk churns even. One or two guys having a ciggie or reading a newspaper while taking a break, although such figures may be the more expensive type from the likes of Preiser/Noch etc. Cheapie figures tend to look like something out of a bad zombie film :goggleeyes:

Thanks for the ideas Nobby.

I've used quite a lot of Preiser models from one of their sets of 120 unpainted figures both around the village and on the platforms. They're nice models but they do look a bit too small, especially up against 1:148 figures. And the very devil to paint! I don't think there's a window cleaner in that set. I did think about using a guard from a set of platform figures but he would probably need surgery to get his upraised arm at the right angle to be cleaning a window!

There are three gardens with washing lines already so I'm trying to avoid another one. One of my uncles had a lovely octagonal gazebo in his garden and I have thought of modelling that, but it would be quite a challenge...

Something to think about tomorrow!

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #623 on: March 05, 2018, 12:11:22 PM »
A grounded van has appeared in the goods yard. I used the body from a Peco kit with four lengths of 40 thou square strip to support it. A couple more bits of plasticard form steps on the far side. I added a little static grass around it, but not so much that you can't see that it's standing clear of the ground. Makes a nice addition, I think, for less than a fiver.

Also new is the guard rail by the weighbridge.

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #624 on: March 05, 2018, 12:20:35 PM »
Hi Roger,
The van looks excellent. It has obviously been there for years.
Dennis.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #625 on: March 05, 2018, 12:53:52 PM »
Very good. Are you sure Andrew @Milton Rail is not in there with his layout ;D

Online tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #626 on: March 05, 2018, 12:57:45 PM »
Weathering looks good on the Std 4 :thumbsup:

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #627 on: March 05, 2018, 01:08:06 PM »
Weathering looks good on the Std 4 :thumbsup:

Wish it was my work! I bought the loco from TMC and it's their heavy weathering option. It adds 30 to the price but I think it's worth it. They also add real coal for 10. Usual disclaimer.

Offline Masher69

• N Gauge Society Number: 26763
    • Awards
« Reply #628 on: March 05, 2018, 04:39:48 PM »
I picked up one of TMCs weathered Austerity at Modelrail Scotland in Glasgow. Their weathering is quite impressive.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #629 on: March 05, 2018, 04:59:44 PM »
I picked up one of TMCs weathered Austerity at Modelrail Scotland in Glasgow. Their weathering is quite impressive.

Agreed. I've had several locos from them and have always been pleased with the weathering. I certainly wouldn't buy any more factory weathered models.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here