!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 128035 times)

pape_timmo and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #270 on: November 05, 2017, 01:31:03 PM »
Really lovely!

Add a couple of cyclists rolling down the hill towards you and you'd think it was full size.

Amazing work.  :thumbsup:

Dave G

Offline sp1

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #271 on: November 05, 2017, 01:42:33 PM »
That is easily the best photo I think Iíve seen of an N scale model!

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: November 05, 2017, 02:13:07 PM »
Add a couple of cyclists rolling down the hill towards you and you'd think it was full size.

That's a good idea Dave. I've got three Faller cyclists in the 'to be used' box. I want to do a bit of work on the road first as it has a slight sheen that I'd like to get rid of. Not noticeable in photos, fortunately.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #273 on: November 05, 2017, 11:42:09 PM »
Another view of the same corner of the village seen in the previous shot, this time we're looking up the hill.

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #274 on: November 05, 2017, 11:46:37 PM »
Knock out modelling Roger.

:wonderfulmodelling:
ďWe are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,Ē UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. ďThe welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.Ē

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: November 06, 2017, 05:43:37 AM »
Like many, have just burned a few hours catching up on your thread, superb modelling and photography as well as all the explanations and hints along the way.  Lots of food for thought and inspiration.

Was intrigued by your comment about depth of field layering using 6 or 7 shots, can you elaborate on that?

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #276 on: November 06, 2017, 05:51:36 AM »
Really cool. I have always considered Chee Tor and Copenhagen Fields to be the best of 2mm scale modelling, but I think you have surpassed both.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: November 06, 2017, 09:54:41 AM »
Another superb picture,superb modelling.

Andrew it's a technique where you take several shots of the same view but focus on different points,then in Photoshop or something similar join all the shots together. You then end up with a pic where it is all in focus,eliminating the depth of field you normally get in a picture.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #278 on: November 06, 2017, 10:45:56 AM »
Was intrigued by your comment about depth of field layering using 6 or 7 shots, can you elaborate on that?

Thanks Andrew. Chris has explained the method nice and concisely, but in case you'd like a little more detail, here goes...

The technique is called focus stacking. Youíll find plenty of information online, include some videos on YouTube. But basically the method is to first put the camera on a solid support Ė usually a tripod but for some shots the camera is sitting on the layout and held in place with bits of Blutak. Then a series of photos is taken, focussing first on the nearest object that needs to be sharp and then a bit further back and so on. Here are three shots showing the result. I actually took five for this picture.

Foreground cottage in focus in this one:

Second cottage in the next:

More distant buildings in this one:

These are then imported into an image editor such as Photoshop, each photo on a different layer. If youíre not familiar with the layers concept imagine a stack of three (or more) photos which can be edited individually and then combined into one final picture.

Photoshop aligns the images to correct any small movements of the camera. Recent versions of the professional version can perform the next job automatically and I think there are some stand alone programs that can too. But I do it by hand.

On the top layer, the one with the closest area in focus, I erase all the areas that arenít in focus, revealing the second layer beneath it. Similarly areas are erased from the second layer revealing the third. As I mentioned, some shots require six or seven layers so itís quite a lengthy job.

Once a reasonable result has been achieved the layers are combined into a single image which can then have any further editing done on it, such as cropping and correcting the tonal range. In this picture you can see the sky area is a problem. The darker blue area is the layoutís scenic backdrop, the lighter blue is a length of painted board I keep for this job. I can usually blend the two together but for this image I decided to substitute a real sky. A cheat Iíve only used a couple of times before! I do only minimal retouching as I donít want to make the models look better than they really are.

I know some people donít like this technique and prefer to see parts of the picture out of focus. But I like the result and think itís worth the considerable extra time and effort involved.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #279 on: November 06, 2017, 10:49:59 AM »
Thanks Chris & Roger for the very detailed descriptions, I played around with layers a few years back on photoshop when I was much more involved with photography, but had not gone to that level.  the results are certainly well worth the effort.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #280 on: November 06, 2017, 10:50:59 AM »
Really cool. I have always considered Chee Tor and Copenhagen Fields to be the best of 2mm scale modelling, but I think you have surpassed both.

Thanks George, high praise indeed! I knew Copenhagen Fields but not Chee Tor. Just found some photos online and it sure looks impressive! Hope your local wild life is behaving properly...

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #281 on: November 06, 2017, 10:56:20 AM »
Ha ha, no, but more of that on the Beal thread later!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Trev

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23682
    • Awards
« Reply #282 on: November 06, 2017, 05:59:54 PM »
Can I ask what the benifit of image staking and all the time in Photoshop is when compared to taking one photo with the apature on the camera set as low as possible and a long exposure with the camera on some sort of stable base / tripod?

My son had been doing the image stacking thing when he photographed some wargaming models he'd painted. I showed him how to overide Auto on his camera and to set it on manual or apature priority and acheaive the same result in one shot.
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #283 on: November 06, 2017, 07:00:44 PM »
Can I ask what the benifit of image staking and all the time in Photoshop is when compared to taking one photo with the apature on the camera set as low as possible and a long exposure with the camera on some sort of stable base / tripod?

Actually I always shoot with the lens set to f/22 so the individual shots in the earlier post show the result of closing the lens down as far as it will go - still nowhere near enough of the subject in focus.

I guess your son's models didn't require as great a depth of field as a railway layout. When I shoot down the length of the baseboard the nearest part of the model may be only 18 inches away from the camera and the furthest part perhaps 10 or 12 feet. No chance of getting that range all in focus.

I think you'll find that most of the photos in the model mags are shot with focus stacking. In fact some time back the BRM cover disc included a demo of the technique!

Online w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #284 on: November 06, 2017, 09:36:24 PM »
It occurs to me that this is not a railway layout at all,but  a very splendid model of a village that happens to have a railway running by it. There's no need for gimmicks,no house fires,weddings,car crashes,flashing road crossing beacons,welding effects or windmills with sails spinning,just high quality modelling....and some rather excellent trains.  (Puts tin helmet on and runs for shelter). :worried:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
December Donations

Advertise Here