!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 126442 times)

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #1770 on: June 01, 2019, 08:49:48 PM »
Hi Roger.

How did you make the stairs ?

Best regards,

Joe

In small steps? :-X

Yes, but they were giant leaps for 2mm mankind!

Joe, the stairs are 20thou plasticard. Not an ideal material, but just about manageable. I cut the components with my Silhouette machine. Here are drawings of the parts. One of the sides and beneath it a string which has notches cut into it for each step and which is cemented to the inside of the main side piece. I've also shown some of the steps the ends of which are cut to fit into the notches.

Assembly is fiddly to say the least!

The Silhouette machine also made possible the cutting of the upper parts of the walls. Working with 10thou plasticard I cut the inner layer which represents the planking. The planking lines were scribed with a shallow cutting depth and then the outlines and window cutouts were done with a deeper setting. The outer layer, below, also 10thou, obviously has to be a perfect match with the planking layer, something I'm sure I couldn't achieve with a scalpel!

Another big advantage of using a cutting machine is that when a model goes wrong it only takes a few minutes to cut a fresh set of parts. I speak from experience!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1771 on: June 01, 2019, 11:23:11 PM »
Now to this bloke at the Antipodes, that's very impressive!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1772 on: June 02, 2019, 09:35:34 PM »
Thanks George. I've never regretted buying that machine as it makes a lot of jobs much easier, including making the church windows which were all cut with it. Here's a new view of the building.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #1773 on: June 02, 2019, 09:39:02 PM »
the church looks stunning sir

impressive.mustbe sunday !

Offline MarshLane

• 2mm Association Number: 5440
    • Awards
« Reply #1774 on: June 04, 2019, 10:19:24 PM »
And No.1 on that list is Picolay. I tried several free programs but settled on Picolay as the best option despite the alignment problem. But a proper photo editor like Photoshop or Affinity Photo would, I think, be a better option as they allow hand tweaking of the final image. The more I read about Affinity the more appealing it becomes, the only snag being the need to learn how to use another complex program!

Hi Roger,
Just catching up on progress with your layout, superb modelling as ever, and very inspirational.

Going back to your query over Focus Stacking software, some of it depends on what kind of camera you have I admit, but I run Nikon DSLRs, and use Helicon.  They do two pieces of software Helicon Focus which handles the stacking in a far easier way that you are currently doing it - just throw the 15/40/90 whatever number of images at the software and it sorts itself out very quickly - but also Helicon Remote, that can remotely control Canon and Nikon DSLRs.  You set the focus at one end of the range, and then set the range at the other, and the software takes a shot, steps the focus ring up by 1, takes another shot and repeats for as many as are needed.  The images are transferred to the computer automatically and when complete it says do you want to open this in Helicon Focus - say yes, it loads all the images, gives you an option screen (I use the defaults) click ok, and litterally 2 minutes later the competed image appears!

That may be way more than you need, or it may be outside of your price range (there are different options and licenses) but worth a look if you haven't used it when you get your new computer ... oh and I think they do a 30 day download.  No connection other than a very satisfied customer!

Rich

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #1775 on: June 05, 2019, 03:08:30 PM »
Here's a new view of the building.

Stunning shot of the church! Any close ups. How did you achieve the different stone colours?

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #1776 on: June 05, 2019, 06:47:50 PM »
 Thanks for your reply on the stairs Roger.

I was hoping that you might tell us that they were "off the shelf" :)

I made a proper mess of the stairs supplied with the Ratio MR signal box and my attempt to replace them with stairs from York Modelling was not much better  :(

Best regards,

Joe

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1777 on: June 05, 2019, 08:43:34 PM »
...That may be way more than you need, or it may be outside of your price range...

Thanks Rich. You're right there. I looked at their site ages ago and moved on very quickly when I looked at the prices page! They make Affinity seem like a real bargain, although I guess it may not do quite as good a job as Helicon. The remote version sounds great but unfortunately I use an Olympus.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 09:06:10 PM by rogerdB »

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1778 on: June 05, 2019, 08:46:50 PM »
I made a proper mess of the stairs supplied with the Ratio MR signal box and my attempt to replace them with stairs from York Modelling was not much better  :(

I think they are among the most difficult things to make, so you have my sympathy! My stairs now have three fire buckets hanging from them, and painting them was a bit fiddly too.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1779 on: June 05, 2019, 09:05:07 PM »
Stunning shot of the church! Any close ups. How did you achieve the different stone colours?

Thanks for that. The stonework was, like most of the textures on my buildings, derived from a photo, in this case of the real building. After much cloning in Photoshop I produced large enough areas to cover the building. Here, for example, is part of the print for the chancel.

There are some photos of the church before it was installed on the layout here:
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38682.msg463666#msg463666

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #1780 on: June 05, 2019, 09:21:11 PM »
Thank you roger. Very helpful link, very realistic

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1781 on: June 05, 2019, 09:39:47 PM »
Having mentioned earlier this evening that the new signal box now has some fire buckets I thought I should do a quick photo to see how they look. I've also added the down pipes (there's a second one on the far end) which, as forecast, drain into barrels. And there's a bit of weathering done too. From photos it would appear that there's a coal bin under the stairs but I'll have to check on that.

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #1782 on: June 05, 2019, 10:24:44 PM »
Roger - stunning photos.

Just Googled "Silhouette machine" - not heard of that before - so is it one of these:
https://www.silhcdn.com/m/d/silh-catalog-2018.pdf ?

I can see now how you get the detail in the mullions etc...

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1783 on: June 05, 2019, 10:36:19 PM »
Just Googled "Silhouette machine" - not heard of that before - so is it one of these:
https://www.silhcdn.com/m/d/silh-catalog-2018.pdf ?

Yes, that's the make. The machine I have is the Portrait - I see there's a new version of it but I imagine it's not much different to mine.

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #1784 on: June 06, 2019, 11:46:40 AM »
Yes, that's the make. The machine I have is the Portrait - I see there's a new version of it but I imagine it's not much different to mine.
Apparently the Portrait II allows for up to 2mm thick materials and the ability to use the deeper cutters but I understand it will still not cut through plasticard any better than yours can.
As usual Roger, great work on the signal box.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 11:48:16 AM by Delboy »
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here