!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 171497 times)

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #1470 on: February 19, 2019, 09:57:50 PM »
Here's the second of Monday's photos of Bittern, I've scrapped the third one as I didn't like it.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1471 on: February 19, 2019, 10:30:52 PM »
Another great pic.  :thumbsup:

Just a thought:

Looking at the pics, those bufferstops appear to be Peco? Several years ago, a forum member expressed some dissatisfaction with the Peco product. This resulted in a discussion about finer etched brass models.

I know I should provide a link, but in my current situation I'm hoping someone will help out there!

Personally I don't have a problem with the Peco stops, but I was wondering, Roger, seeing as you have gone to the trouble of fine point rodding, have you given any thought to etched stops?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1472 on: February 19, 2019, 10:53:57 PM »
Personally I don't have a problem with the Peco stops, but I was wondering, Roger, seeing as you have gone to the trouble of fine point rodding, have you given any thought to etched stops?

I don't remember giving them much thought at all, George! I ordered them along with most of the track in the very early days of the build. Not having found this ever informative forum at that time I wasn't even aware of any alternatives to the Peco ones. I think if I was using fiNetrax I might want rail built ones made using code 40, which would look better. But like you I think the Peco ones don't look too bad with Peco track, at least looking at the layout. As usual photos show the flaws!

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1473 on: February 22, 2019, 09:01:26 PM »
Another shot of Bittern. Not taken at the same time as the previous two but when I last let the Class 24 out for a run. The latter waits in the goods yard for the A4 to pass.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1474 on: February 22, 2019, 09:05:19 PM »
Another shot of Bittern. Not taken at the same time as the previous two but when I last let the Class 24 out for a run. The latter waits in the goods yard for the A4 to pass.

Quite right too, Roger.  The natural order of things!

Wonderful photograph, as ever.

Many thanks and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1475 on: February 23, 2019, 11:24:35 AM »
Wonderful photograph, as ever.

Thanks John. As I mentioned in a recent post I'm struggling to find new ideas for shots with my limited collection of locos and rolling stock. Perhaps I should get a Flossie to provide some extra interest!

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1476 on: February 25, 2019, 10:09:13 PM »
I've made a start on another building - a GWR designed station master's house. But progress is slow as I still don't feel very well, so no photos yet. Instead an earlier picture of Bittern, this time heading north. I do like the view up the hill - the area that made me want to build the layout.

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #1477 on: February 26, 2019, 08:54:18 PM »
Lovely photo Roger  :heart2:

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1478 on: February 26, 2019, 09:03:33 PM »
A couple of shots of the building I mentioned yesterday. Like the recently built cottages it's based on a drawing in 'Great Western Architecture' by Adrian Vaughan. This is a station master's house. At this stage the front looks a bit boring but there will eventually be a porch over the as yet non-existant door.

I struggled a bit with some of the windows round the back. It's probably too late to do much to improve them but they are round the back!

The next job is to make the window sills.

Offline MarshLane

• 2mm Association Number: 5440
    • Awards
« Reply #1479 on: February 26, 2019, 09:51:25 PM »
Hi Roger,
Love what your doing with Wrenton, its always one of my go to topics on here!  I may have missed this in the past, but do you use card, foam board or plasticard to build your buildings? Also, can I ask what brick paper you use, as it looks very realistic.

Keep up the good work.

Rich

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1480 on: February 26, 2019, 10:40:45 PM »
I may have missed this in the past, but do you use card, foam board or plasticard to build your buildings? Also, can I ask what brick paper you use, as it looks very realistic.

Hi Rich,

The buildings are plasticard, though I do usually use foamboard as a lining. Brick, stone, tile and slate papers are mostly derived from photos of the real thing or a similar building. I have to use Photoshop to develop a large enough area of texture. For example this new building used stonework photographed from the main station building at Crowcombe Heathfield - a much smaller building. Wrenton's church's walls were taken from a photo of the tower of the real building. The village cottages have tile roofs from just one building in Finchingfield, Essex. The slate papers are mostly from some cottages at Birling Gap near Beachy Head. All come pre-weathered of course! I make sure to use my printer's maker's genuine inks as these should hopefully be longer lasting than the cheap 'equivalents' and I have recently started using artists' matt varnish, a type with UV protection, as a further precaution to avoid fading.

Check out my thread about building a cottage - link below. Hope that helps!

Online PhilD

• Awards
« Reply #1481 on: February 27, 2019, 07:16:13 AM »
Hello Roger,
You'll get a telegram form the Queen when you reach 100 (pages that is!).

Keep up the excellent modelling.

Cheers
Phil

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1482 on: February 27, 2019, 09:03:09 PM »
A member of the Wrenton heritage group has ‘found’ a much faded and rather scratched early colour photograph of the village. Doubt has been cast on the find however, it being pointed out that getting a camera this high would have been virtually impossible at a time when drones were long in the future…

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1483 on: February 27, 2019, 09:08:27 PM »
Nice one!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1484 on: February 27, 2019, 09:12:09 PM »
Nice photo Roger, those two cyclists must be getting quite famous by now.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal