!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 78425 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #1350 on: January 01, 2019, 11:27:50 AM »
That's it. I've decided I want to live there. I reckon my bungalow is worth maybe 110K so what would a cottage in Wrenton cost please? :D

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1351 on: January 01, 2019, 11:33:51 AM »
A very Happy New Year to you, too, Roger.

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #1352 on: January 01, 2019, 11:46:26 AM »
That's it. I've decided I want to live there. I reckon my bungalow is worth maybe 110K so what would a cottage in Wrenton cost please? :D

In the late '50s I guess it would have bought half the street! Just need a Tardis.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1353 on: January 03, 2019, 11:35:05 AM »
Another tiny building inspired by those at Crowcombe Heathfield. I made a mistake with the width of this one - I'd estimated it from photos to be 18' and when I got a drawing it proved to be 18'2"! I have reduced the depth too, by a rather larger amount. I was also in two minds about the windows. It would obviously benefit from have clear glazing but I decided to stick to my usual fakery and use printed ones. The planking was all scored by the Silhouette Portrait with a shallow cutting depth, the parts subsequently cut out with the maximum depth. I still don't know if these buildings will go onto a small layout or a smaller diorama. Either way, if I follow the prototype this building will be largely hidden by trees!

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1354 on: January 03, 2019, 06:44:25 PM »
I made a mistake with the width of this one - I'd estimated it from photos to be 18' and when I got a drawing it proved to be 18'2"! I have reduced the depth too, by a rather larger amount.

That's a superbly accurate dimension estimate from a photograph, Roger.

And what a lovely little building.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1355 on: January 05, 2019, 11:34:14 AM »
Back to Wrenton for today's photo. I didn't take the focus stacking as far as usual as this is more a portrait of the train rather than my usual 'train in landscape' pictures and I wanted it to stand out. I know some people don't like focus stacked images but to me they look more like a photo of the real thing than do images with a shallow depth of focus. There's a place for both techniques, I think. Even this shot is a stack of about ten exposures!

There's also a bit of cheating to which I should admit. The photo included the goods yard loading gauge on the left and it was rather distracting so I Photoshopped it out.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1356 on: January 06, 2019, 11:28:18 AM »
Not sure if we're supposed to be uploading pictures at present as some people are reporting problems trying, but I added this one with no snags at all. Same shot as yesterday's. I thought it might look good in monochrome so I had a little play in Photoshop to produce this.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1357 on: January 08, 2019, 05:13:27 PM »
The same train passes the goods shed. Might try this one in monochrome, too.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1358 on: January 09, 2019, 10:05:40 PM »
I threatened a monochrome version so here it is. A sepia effect and a vignette probably mean it should be a photo of a pre-grouping train!

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1359 on: January 10, 2019, 12:20:00 AM »
The same train passes the goods shed. Might try this one in monochrome, too.

Roger, nice photo. I love your grass! I know you were showing off the loco, but I'm studying landscaping right now. :) Where did you buy your fencing?

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1360 on: January 10, 2019, 12:18:11 PM »
Roger, nice photo. I love your grass! I know you were showing off the loco, but I'm studying landscaping right now. :) Where did you buy your fencing?

Thanks Leon. Hope you're enjoying the landscaping. For me it was the most enjoyable part of the building process. The fencing was home made, cut from 20 thou plasticard using my Silhouette Portrait machine. The posts were reinforced with strips of 20x40 thou each side. There's a photo in this (different sort of) post:
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38682.msg463956#msg463956.

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1361 on: January 10, 2019, 04:55:03 PM »
The fencing was home made, cut from 20 thou plasticard using my Silhouette Portrait machine.

Thanks, Roger. I don't do "home made" but yours looks a lot better than the PECO, though I'm not unhappy with the PECO. Yours looks like what is called "split rail" over here (US). I'd love to have about 20 feet of it!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1362 on: January 10, 2019, 11:16:42 PM »
I'd love to have about 20 feet of it!

Wrenton needed 12 feet and it took ages to make, though I didn't have to do it all at once. Stick with the Peco - much easier!

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1363 on: January 11, 2019, 09:12:46 PM »
Continuing the monochrome theme, I've hunted back through old photos looking for another candidate. This is a crop from a shot I've posted before but I think black and white really suits it.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1364 on: January 14, 2019, 02:42:59 PM »
I don't think I've photographed my Class 24 since its first appearance back in those warm, sunny days of last summer when it was new. Well, the trees still have their foliage in Wrenton!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything