!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Principat d'Izaro (French/Spanish layout)  (Read 10626 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Principat d'Izaro (French/Spanish layout)
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2018, 07:58:24 AM »
Bueno !

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2018, 10:38:17 PM »
Hi all,

A few more pics later (hopefully) to show the Platja d'Estepera (Estepera beach) layout. It used to have two tunnels but I have cut them out to replace the track and decided to just put one back (eventually).

I will explain more another time as in where it is on the peninsular etc. but am putting the 'El Gaitero' restaurant on the layout.

As with all my layouts it's set in the '60s one day and '80/'90s/2000 another but this one, as only single track will have to be Spanish trains one day and French another.

The painting of the Kato track is a bit dark but have a ballast solution (hopefully).

Overall pic of the layout. It's very simple as just wanted to run a few trains. Platja d'Estepera is a terminus with a beach at the end for holiday traffic and the loop goes through the tunnel to the imaginary town station and port. The other side is more for pics as I will make another beach (8 inch or so wide) on a separate board butting up to what's there.

I rabbit on too much so here are some pics.

Layout overview......

SORRY - Could post pics yesterday but not today it seems. Thought I'd keep the text though and modify another day.

Back to the vino tinto.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2018, 12:43:57 PM »
Hi all,

Think we're back on track with pics again. Got to take the dogs out now and get the roast for later but here's another test to make sure...

Think that works. Speak later if too many Yorkshires and vino tinto don't whisk me off to bed  :)

Salud weave  :beers:

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2018, 02:12:01 PM »
Looks good to me.

The locomotive - is it one of those RENFE ones which had its origins in Japan?
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2018, 12:12:36 AM »
Looks good to me.

The locomotive - is it one of those RENFE ones which had its origins in Japan?

Hi Railsquid,

Thank you. Yes is the answer although Wiki is rather vague in places. It was of Japanese design and although most were built in Spain, some had been transported from Japan by sea. Mitsubishi seem to be the manufacturer. Different sites have differing info.

RENFE Series 269 if you want to Google.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 12:14:49 AM by weave »

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2018, 10:49:47 AM »
Hi all,

Don't know what I'm doing wrong but besides the earlier one this is the only pic I can show. Will take some more and try again.

They were all taken at the same time and are in one 'my pictures' file in Windows 7 so don't understand why it'll post 2 of them but not the others.

They weren't that good anyway  :).

Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2018, 12:42:21 PM »
OK,

Found another pic the computer likes. It's prob a size thing. Trying to show the layout but it only likes train pics.

Might give up and just work on the thing.

Errrrrr  :censored: I hate computers but that's only because I don't understand. SWMBO technical advice later in the week.

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2018, 04:18:23 PM »
Interesting for me to see this layout, as I'm planning to build my own (Swiss based) railway, using KATO track.

I noted that you have laid this track on a cork base, I guess for quiet running. I would do this for a track without a ballast base (such as PECO), but I wasn't planning to do so for the KATO track, and I hadn't done so for an (unfinished) layout using Fleishmann Piccolo track.

So, do you find that this is a better way to lay ballasted track.... :confusedsign:
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2018, 05:38:18 PM »
Hi Gizzy,

Am sure others will have more knowledgeable opinions.

I don't think the cork makes any difference to the train noise but I use it as a smoother base for my rubbish woodworking skills to start with and then for height differences with platforms and walls ie. cutting bits out or adding to allow for the Kato ballast shoulder depending on in station or out in country.

Hope makes sense. Ask again if confused. I usually am  :D

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2018, 05:47:36 PM »
Hi Gizzy,

Am sure others will have more knowledgeable opinions.

I don't think the cork makes any difference to the train noise but I use it as a smoother base for my rubbish woodworking skills to start with and then for height differences with platforms and walls ie. cutting bits out or adding to allow for the Kato ballast shoulder depending on in station or out in country.

Hope makes sense. Ask again if confused. I usually am  :D

Makes a lot of sense!

I'm having a baseboard made, so, although I can do wood work, I just don't get the time, or have the space to make one up. I should get it early in the New Year.

I'm not planning to have cork; I could have specified it for my baseboard, but as I'm using KATO track, I've decided not to. I have a plan in my head as to what I want to do, and I'll just muddle through and get some track laid, so I can run my RhB stock....
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »
Hola,

Another test as have no idea what I'm doing re resizing the pics to be able to post. If it works, there is the other problem of can't remember what I did. The good missus am sure will help but her work is chaotic at the mo so gave it a go...

Yay  :claphappy:

I'm sure it's very easy for you computer folk. Will have to write things down as I go for future reference.

That's the Estepera layout overview which I couldn't post before. There are other pics and will start again with explanations after a lie down. 'Tis nearly siesta time anyway.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 12:34:51 PM by weave »

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2018, 01:06:18 PM »
Think I've made it too small, but other side. More practice needed.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2018, 04:35:14 PM »
Hola again,

Still have problems with the size thing but just to give the gist of the plan.

Platja d'Estepera is a resort set in the far Eastern part of the peninsular with a reovable beach (to be built) in front of the sea wall to the right for photo (ha) opportunities.

I'll be sitting on the left by 'resort beach' station. There is a little beach area (about 3 inches) wide where the tracks finish at the window end but you can't see it.

The plan is, where I sit, trains can come from the right from the rest of the peninsular and head round the station avoiding line through the tunnel to the actual 'town' station (off scene and slightly inland).

Various trains will eventually divert and terminate at the beach station. The blank area at the bottom will be a single line to Estepera Port, only accessible from the station with a couple of sidings. Maybe a tunnel to hide the odd coach transferred to a ferry and so possible layout extension in the future.

The second plan is that I wanted to incorporate the 'El Gaitero' restaurant that I built before. I thought that if I had lots of buildings nothing would get done so thought the restaurant could be overlooking the right hand beach and surrounded by a vineyard (always wanted one) with a road bridge connecting it and a small wine goods yard where the tram track is. The imaginary resort town will be behind me.

That bit of wood in the middle shown earlier is to make it level so will build round it so I can work on it downstairs. Have been looking at making vines but think mod roc landscaping is the next big job.

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings and stop start thread.

We've got guests from the 28th - 5th and apparently there are non railway things to do this Weekend I've been told but any input always welcome.

Cheers, Salud and Santé weave
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 05:04:33 PM by weave »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2018, 04:54:40 PM »
Looks good Chris.
Just right for you to sit with a nice orange juice and watch the trains go by.  :beers:
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2018, 05:42:26 PM »
Looks good Chris.
Just right for you to sit with a nice orange juice and watch the trains go by.  :beers:
Looking good to me too.
Why not fresh squeezed grape juice? :)
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything