!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 97719 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #2010 on: November 09, 2019, 09:20:10 AM »
Can we have a peep at Sandrock John.
Please.

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #2011 on: November 10, 2019, 11:51:08 AM »
Can we have a peep at Sandrock John.
Please.

I'll definitely agree, please John & many thanks for your latest  :greatpicturessign: all looking rather splendid. I must add Poppy is looking rather regal overseeing Poppingham.
       regards Derek.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2012 on: November 10, 2019, 04:42:03 PM »
Today's Special Working

Hello Chums

A tradition of the Table-Top Railway is to run a special train on Remembrance Sunday.  It provides free travel for people from along the route of the railway to attend a Service of Remembrance.  This year the service was in Poppingham church.  Bertie Poppingham and I had just enough time to motor over to the sidings to photograph the train as it approached Poppingham station on the up line.  Firstly, Bertie's photograph:

And my own effort, complete with my motor car at the level crossing:

The special train was worked by the Table-Top Railway's Remembrance locomotive, 'D11/1' 4-4-0 No. 5504 Jutland which was in immaculate condition, having been cleaned and polished by volunteers on Bobbington shed yesterday.  The train crew were all volunteers selected by Lord Poppingham drawing names out of several hats.

The company certainly tries to look after those attending the Service of Remembrance with a complimentary light luncheon served in 'The Crown' after the service and refreshments available free of charge in the buffet car on the train.  I am given to understand that a substantial sum was raised for the Royal British Legion and the Royal British Legion Scotland.

Many thanks for looking.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2013 on: November 12, 2019, 09:06:19 AM »
A Terrier on the Loose

Hello Chums

Yes, watch out, Poppy, there's a 'Terrier' on the loose in the train set room!

Our friend the Prof was staying with us at the weekend and he brought several of his British 'N' gauge locomotives to run on Poppingham.  He's normally an LNER man but he appears to have recently developed an enthusiasm for the SECR.

The photograph shows Dapol 'Terrier' 0-6-0T No. 751 on a down local passenger train comprised of ex-SECR carriages in Southern Railway livery.  A very agreeable sight.  The Prof and I sat with glasses of fine, foaming ale (Banks, Wolverhampton) and watched the diminutive locomotive circulating happily.  It is an exceptionally fine runner.  It's also small, even compared with my Dapol '48xx' 0-4-2T.

You might recall that Poppingham uses the excellent Peco 'Setrack', including points.  I think it is fair to say that these points have a mixed reputation amongst 'N' gauge modellers with regard to the reliable running of small tank engines.  I'm glad to report that the little 'Terrier' was completely unfazed by the points and ran perfectly smoothly over them.  I even successfully drove it along the down goods shed siding, which has three Setrack points in succession.

Thank you for looking and all best wishes.

Pip-pip.

John
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 09:08:23 AM by Train Waiting »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #2014 on: November 12, 2019, 02:33:36 PM »
Those carriages look absolutely splendid. Good to hear the little Terrier had no problems running over your Setrack.
Maybe the bad reputation is put about by fellows who've badly laid the track and then are frustrated by poorly prepared locomotives having problems using it?
In my case I stopped using it as I seemed to have a lot of bother with some joints. Some fish plate connectors slid on with ease, others needed varying degrees of persuasion. The final straw was trying to fit electric motors to the points. I nearly made one or two (sort of) work but gave it all up as beyond my skills. The sun came out when I switched to Kato track  :)

You are to be envied your afternoon of foaming ales and relaxation watching the trains run by.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2015 on: November 12, 2019, 10:03:54 PM »
Many thanks, Alec.

I tried to lay the 'Setrack' level on a very firm foundation of ply/Sundeala/cork.
I also cleaned the track before the running session.
And the Prof's 'Terrier' is new, so no dirty wheels.
I expect that all this kept us on the right side of the drag curve.

I know what you mean about the fishplates.  I noticed that the new 'Setrack' I bought for Poppingham had different fishplates with a 'doubled-over' end:-

This was probably why I had no difficulty joining the track pieces.

Having built commenced a couple of layouts using Kato 'Unitrack', I can join you in your enthusiasm for its 'user-friendliness'.  And it looks absolutely excellent on Saxon Street.

With all good wishes.

John

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2016 on: November 13, 2019, 08:51:01 AM »
'B1'

Hello Chums

Here's the Prof's 'B1' 4-6-0 No. 1000 with an up passenger train.

The 'B1' is by Graham Farish and is a fine looking locomotive.  I thought the painting and lining are particularly nicely done.

Our local steam shed, up the line at Bobbington, must have something special going on as Mr Hedley, the Shed Foreman, has out-stationed four 'Directors' to the down sidings.

Many thanks for looking.

Best wishes.

Cheerie-bye.

John
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 12:22:25 PM by Train Waiting »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2017 on: November 13, 2019, 08:58:30 AM »
Cool.

I have the less than satisfactory Dapol model, but I shouldn't whinge... I won it this forum!  :-[
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #2018 on: November 13, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »
A Terrier on the Loose

You might recall that Poppingham uses the excellent Peco 'Setrack', including points.  I think it is fair to say that these points have a mixed reputation amongst 'N' gauge modellers with regard to the reliable running of small tank engines.  I'm glad to report that the little 'Terrier' was completely unfazed by the points and ran perfectly smoothly over them.  I even successfully drove it along the down goods shed siding, which has three Setrack points in succession.

John

Hi John,

HOLLERTON JUNCTION uses PECO Setrack as well (including points) and I have not had any problems with locos stalling or stuttering.  Personally, I think it is down to having dead flat track as my previous layout (Boddingford Junction) used PECO foam underlay which was a nightmare.

Kind regards

Paddy
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 07:54:53 PM by Paddy »
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbMLEwYTXc6fdwur2wOb0LA/videos

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2019 on: November 13, 2019, 04:34:50 PM »
I too use set track with no problems and agree it’s all down to careful track laying and cleaning.
I always pay particular attention to the frog area on points as , if one is less than fastidious, a build up of “crud” can easily accumulate.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #2020 on: November 13, 2019, 08:21:53 PM »
Thanks for the recent pics John. The layout looks great. Poppingham is happy place. Buildings still look superb. You absolutely did the right thing there!  :D
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2021 on: November 14, 2019, 09:14:40 AM »
Course Modelling

Hello Chums

I have mentioned that I have been building the Kestrel GMKD 37 farmhouse but finishing as a inn.  I have reached the stage where, if I don't declare it finished, it never will be and I'll spend the rest of my life filling and painting.  I'm at the point where each coat of paint appears to make the finish worse, rather than better.  Strangely, I found painting plastic wagon kits in 'P4', about 25 years ago, much easier.  I could get a nice finish with two coats.  I'm still using Humbrol enamel but it appears different, somehow. 

Time, then, for the last workbench pictures and apologies - I used the 'close-up' setting on the camera and the depth of field is not what it ought to be.

Course photography as well as course modelling to-day; sorry!

And here is the inspiration:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/09/6c/66/096c66d4cae00f2ffed0bedf6f70592c.jpg

Many thanks for looking and best wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 08:15:48 PM by Train Waiting »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2022 on: November 14, 2019, 09:19:06 AM »
Course Modelling

Hello Chums

I have mentioned that I have been building the Kestrel GMKD farmhouse but finishing as a inn.  I have reached the stage where, if I don't declare it finished, it never will be and I'll spend the rest of my life filling and painting.  I'm at the point where each coat of paint appears to make the finish worse, rather than better.  Strangely, I found painting plastic wagon kits in 'P4', about 25 years ago, much easier.  I could get a nice finish with two coats.  I'm still using Humbrol enamel but it appears different, somehow. 

Time, then, for the last workbench pictures and apologies - I used the 'close-up' setting and the depth of fiend is not what it ought to be.

Good morning John
Just one thing missing.............

Martin

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2023 on: November 14, 2019, 09:26:13 AM »
Apologies John, I may have “jumped the gun”.
The first time I looked there were no photographs attached but all is well now.

A fabulous job. Completely in the Poppingham style.

Martin

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2024 on: November 14, 2019, 09:29:25 AM »
Sorry, Martin.

I wrote the text on one computer and then remembered that the photographs were on the other one.  I had to save the text, log out and then log in on the other computer to add the photographs.

Then there was the web-link to think about!

Course computer skills as well, I'm afraid.

Still, it's Railway Modeller day... and I'm having Light Luncheon with a chum!

All the best.

John

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
December Donations

Advertise Here