!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 91430 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #1995 on: November 04, 2019, 07:48:43 PM »
So......Is that Flossie and Herdy?
They seem well settled and seem to fit in very well indeed.

Yes, that's them, Martin.  Herdy is on the right as one looks at the picture.  He appears to be none the worse for his journey from Lancashire Beyond the Sands.  He'll be at Poppingham for a few weeks and then will return to Mrs Heelis.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1996 on: November 04, 2019, 10:00:40 PM »
I do indeed remember those Hornby Dublo buildings. Art Deco!!

Or maybe that should be Art Dubbo!!   ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #1997 on: November 04, 2019, 10:36:51 PM »

Sorry if I've missed something John, but what is the platform adjacent to the points for? :hmmm:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1998 on: November 05, 2019, 08:33:56 AM »

Sorry if I've missed something John, but what is the platform adjacent to the points for? :hmmm:

Thank you very much, Chris; that's a jolly good question.

All the layouts I have attempted to build during my adult life have had electrically-operated points of one type or another.  The control panels I built to facilitate this arrangement were usually complex and were always more completed than the layouts.  As Poppingham is an attempt to recapture that innocent age before I discovered motorcycles, electric points and other things, various, I decided to revert to manual point operation.

The Peco 'Setrack' points are splendid and appear to be robust, but I worried about too much of der fingerpoking around the tie-bars.  Poppy and I put our heads together and came up with a system based on the Peco PL-12 'Motor Adaptor Base' and bits of wood - course modelling once again!  This was quickly named, by a Friend of Poppingham, 'stick in a void' point operation rather than the more common and sensible 'wire in a tube'.  The platform you mention is a balsa cover to hide my embarrassment.

I took my Brough Superior motorcycle for a quick trip down to the sidings before breakfast and here's a picture:

Interestingly (unbelievably?), this bodged together method of point operation has turned out to be completely trouble free in use.  In due course, I'll cover the cover with some SuperScary semi-scenic stuff.

Glad to discuss further and thank you for asking and for all your helpful and encouraging comments about Poppingham.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1999 on: November 05, 2019, 05:04:46 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
Thanks John, all looking neat & tidy to me, keep up the good work.  :thumbsup:
        regards Derek.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #2000 on: November 06, 2019, 03:37:16 AM »
Thank you for explaining your cunning point control system. Makes sense.  ;)

Your comment about wanting to return to days of innocence before things got complex is very much the driving force behind my MQR. Seeing Poppingham merely convinced me it was the right way to go. Got a bit fed up trying to conceive clever/complicated plans which stumbled for that very reason. Often I felt that they were more brain exercises and I felt I wouldn't enjoy building or operating them.

Simplicity and fun are vital elements to my mind. :D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 03:42:03 AM by chrispearce »
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2001 on: November 08, 2019, 09:56:33 AM »
A Cheery Wave!

LMS (ex-Midland) '3F' 0-6-0 No. 3831 approaches the Bobbington Road overbridge with an up freight train.  Passed Fireman Neville Hill gives Herdy and Flossie a cheery wave from the footplate.

The crimson lake livery is not strictly accurate, but, then, when was anything on Poppingham ever strictly accurate?  There is a nice story to this '3F'.  As you probably noticed elsewhere on our Forum, longstanding Friend of Poppingham @Newportnobby is selling the 'N' gauge items from a gentleman who is no longer involved with the hobby.  The proceeds will go mostly to a charity of the gentleman's choice, with a proportion to Forum funds.  Poppy and I were keen to support this good cause and the especially spiffing Union Mills '3F' is the result.  Part of the result, to be accurate!  I think Mick has some items still available.  From my experience, these will be models in good condition at a very fair price.  Well worth a look.

Now to try and finish the roof of 'The Crown' before opening time...

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2002 on: November 08, 2019, 11:23:43 AM »
Excellent.  :thumbsup:

But please do get the roof finished before opening time  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2003 on: November 08, 2019, 11:28:31 AM »

But please do get the roof finished before opening time

Either that or provide umbrellas. Having said that, knowing the disposition of everyone involved with 'Poppibgham', maybe that should be sun shades.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2004 on: November 08, 2019, 12:15:31 PM »
Thank you, John, for another excellent photo. and story. A very fine new addition to Poppingham's locos. and in a very worthy cause, too.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2005 on: November 08, 2019, 02:48:29 PM »

Having said that, knowing the disposition of everyone involved with 'Poppibgham', maybe that should be sun shades.  ;)

@dannyboy  Do you have a cold, David? ;)
@Train Waiting Thank you for the kind words, John. Have you given your other purchases a stretch of the legs yet?

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2006 on: November 08, 2019, 03:15:23 PM »

@dannyboy  Do you have a cold, David? ;)

Your concern for my welfare is appreciated Mick. Ha de hah! Actually, the ailment I am suffering from is commonly called 'fat fingers'.  :P
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2007 on: November 08, 2019, 08:43:18 PM »
Fork Handles Four Candles Four 'Directors'

Hello Chums

More silliness from Poppingham.  What's the common noun for 'Directors'; a board or a bored?  Because we now have four Union Mills 'Directors' at Poppingham; two 'D11/1' and two 'D11/2'.

From the front:
No. 6391 Wizard of the Moor in an up siding;
No. 5508 Prince of Wales with an up passenger train;
No. 5504 Jutland running light engine on the down line - this locomotive has special workings this weekend and has been undergoing work at Bobbington shed;
No. 6397 The Lady of the Lake in a down siding.

@Train Waiting Thank you for the kind words, John. Have you given your other purchases a stretch of the legs yet?

Yes indeed, Mick; No. 5508 and her train of lovely Gresley teak carriages are my other purchases from your sell-a-thon.  And jolly spifferoo they all are!  The 'D11/1' was on shed at Bobbington earlier today and Geordie Stephenson, the Foreman Fitter, told me she had been well looked after at her previous shed.

No. 5504 is on shed tomorrow, not for maintenance because Geordie has her set 'just so', but for polishing.  Every man and woman on the railway not on duty tomorrow will turn up at Bobbington shed and get busy with the polish.

Either that or provide umbrellas. Having said that, knowing the disposition of everyone involved with 'Poppibgham', maybe that should be sun shades.  ;)

Thank you very much indeed for that jolly kind comment, David.  Poppy and I have declared that Poppingham is a gloom-free area.  There is more than enough gloom in the world without us adding to it.

And... George; if you peer into the background of the picture you might just notice that 'The Crown' has a roof... and chimneys.  All completed just before opening time.  Now if you'll excuse me, I agreed to meet Janey, Bertie and Bonzo Poppingham in the Lounge Bar for a few libations.  Mustn't keep Janey waiting!

Many thanks for looking.

All best wishes.

Tickety-tonk.

John

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2008 on: November 08, 2019, 08:48:46 PM »
And simply splendid those Directae  (??) look, especially with all those teak carriages on show.
Great stuff John.

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2009 on: November 09, 2019, 09:15:33 AM »
A Union Mills Enthusiast!

Hello Chums

Poppy is, of course, the brains behind Poppingham.  Here she is in one of her favourite places in the train set room, sitting on top of a tray of (well-protected) carriages.  She is a great enthusiast for Union Mills locomotives and has built up a bit of a collection as you will see from the mini-mountain of boxes behind her.  Several of these boxes have not even been opened yet; treats for later!

By the way, the sky blue backboard and girder bridge are part of Sandrock, my 'N' scale ATSF/UP railway set in the west of the USA.  It's big, but pretty much defunct having been overtaken in play value by Poppingham - all 48"x30" of it.

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Toodle-pip.

John and Poppy.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything