!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 80470 times)

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #1830 on: September 02, 2019, 01:32:37 PM »
Hi John,

That is a difficult one. I like them both. To me the white windows make them look more seasidy (if that's a word) so maybe the coloured windows for your village (which I don't think is by the sea).

However and sorry to put a spanner in the works but I'm not sure about the blue windows but like the green so maybe have the green door ones green and the blue door ones white.

Sorry again. Please don't hate me.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1831 on: September 02, 2019, 02:04:35 PM »
Hi John

Iím sticking with white.
Sorry but for me, the coloured windows look wrong.
Just my five Ďpenneth.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #1832 on: September 02, 2019, 04:22:56 PM »
Not much in it, but I'll join Martin in voting for the white.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1833 on: September 02, 2019, 05:24:15 PM »
All white by me. (Sorry)  :-[

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1834 on: September 02, 2019, 09:33:33 PM »
If In Doubt... Ask!

Hello Chums

Thank you very much indeed for all your help with regard to the best colour for the windows of the little cottage.

I have been observing the model in a variety of lighting condition this afternoon and evening.

My idea to try painting the windows matching the doors was based on two thoughts:

Firstly, white window frames were more common post-War than pre-War.  But I have plenty of evidence of both approaches from a 'bargain book' I picked up some years ago which contains an interesting collection of colour photographs of Great Britain taken by US servicemen during the War.  Therefore, both approaches are prototypical, although prototype fidelity is not at the top of Poppingham's priorities.

Secondly, I wondered if the additional colour would make the building more vivid.  I think the opposite is the case; the white windows appear to 'pop' the colour of the doors.  I agree with Chris in that the pink/green combination works better than the yellow/violet.  Probably because the green is a bit brighter.  In which case, white ought to be best.

It is noticeable that the pictures of coloured buildings so kindly posted by Forum Friends a few pages back all feature white windows.

Decision made!

'D16/3' 'Super Claud' 4-4-0 No 8828 gets an up passenger train away from its Poppingham stop.

Thanks again for all your ever-so-helpful comments.

With best wishes.

Toodle-oo.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #1835 on: September 03, 2019, 09:05:49 PM »
When is Poppingham?

White paint for window frames is, I'm told, a product of the tinned paint coming in in the late 50's / early 60's prior to which it was mixed from zinc, linseed oil and a few other components that are probably now banned!

However, since Poppingham is an architect's vision of the perfect railway town / village, then they may well have decreed that the local painters and decorators purchase in bulk from a suitable supplier.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1836 on: September 05, 2019, 09:58:39 AM »
When is Poppingham?

White paint for window frames is, I'm told, a product of the tinned paint coming in in the late 50's / early 60's prior to which it was mixed from zinc, linseed oil and a few other components that are probably now banned!

However, since Poppingham is an architect's vision of the perfect railway town / village, then they may well have decreed that the local painters and decorators purchase in bulk from a suitable supplier.

Thank you very much indeed for this.  It is very helpful.

My understanding is the same: improved paint technology and the clean air legislation caused a major increase in white-painted exterior features from the late 'fifties on.

Many thanks for asking about the time period for Poppingham.

This ends on Hogmanay, 1938.  I don't really have a beginning as I have a couple of locomotives in pre-Grouping livery and should certainly like more.  I suppose it is unlikely that I could go back as far as the mid-Victorian period.  Therefore, the earliest date would likely be around 1890.  The biggest change over this time period is probably motor vehicles and ladies' fashion.

LMS '7F' 0-8-0 No. 9524 with a down freight train has just passed Poppingham station.

Thanks again and all best wishes.

John
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 11:55:27 AM by Train Waiting, Reason: Correction »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1837 on: September 11, 2019, 12:29:23 PM »
A Quick Postcard from Poppingham

Hello Chums

The Old Ladies (sadly, now Old Lady) situation in Inverness and the continuing pressures of retirement from paid work mean that there has been little time for Poppingham over the last week or so.  I'm at home today, officially preparing for a couple of days 'not working' in Dumfries.  But the preparing has been deferred so that Poppy and I can play with trains...

In this first photograph, taken by Bertie Poppingham, we see 'D20' 4-4-0 No. 2024 emerging from 'Tea Cosy Tunnel'.  Driver Geoff Duke has already made a brake application and will make another one alongside the platform, before releasing the brakes and letting the train stop... perfectly in position.

The second photograph, taken, I regret to say, by me, shows 'Twenty,Twenty-Four' from the other side of the line, looking down from the top of Gateshead Cutting.

Obviously, profuse apologies are in order for the quality of this photograph.  You know these absolutely amazing photographs of Wrenton, taken on a mobile telephone, with which Roger @rogerdB  has been favouring us?  I thought I'd have an attempt, using an old 'iPhone' that one of my non-employers likes me to keep about my person.  Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time!  Perhaps if I make the photograph monochrome, it would look rather like a 'Box Brownie' snap, taken by an eight-year-old in 1926.  Still, Flossie is enjoying seeing this lovely locomotive.

Many thanks for looking.

All best wishes.

Tickety-tonk.

John and Poppy

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #1838 on: September 11, 2019, 12:38:27 PM »
How about this...?

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1839 on: September 11, 2019, 02:03:34 PM »
Gawd!

Any clearer and I'm worried Flossie is gonna be bleating at me front door tomorra!  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1840 on: September 11, 2019, 03:23:54 PM »
Just one tiny criticism, and itís a fault that Iím frequently guilty of..........rods up not down  :D
Apologies, I couldnít resist.
Super photographs.
Martin

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1841 on: September 11, 2019, 08:52:36 PM »
How about this...?

A great improvement, thank you, Roger.

Maybe not quite the silk purses of Wrenton, but much better than my sow's ear.

Just one tiny criticism, and it’s a fault that I’m frequently guilty of..........rods up not down  :D
Apologies, I couldn’t resist.
Super photographs.
Martin

Absolutely spot on, thank you, Martin; guilty as charged.  The splendid old railway photographers would only ever photograph a locomotive 'rods down'.  But Bertie Poppingham and I were both caught out.  What happened was that Geoff Duke, being supremely confident 'on the brake', was going a semi-tad faster than we anticipated and those big 6'10" wheels had gone round another half-turn by the time we pressed our respective shutter releases.  Oh bother!

With best wishes.

John

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1842 on: September 11, 2019, 09:03:02 PM »
...rods up not down  :D

Dare I ask? I think I've heard that if you have to ask you don't need to know. Maybe I've got that wrong, but in my case, there may be truth in the statement.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1843 on: September 11, 2019, 09:48:00 PM »
...rods up not down  :D

Dare I ask? I think I've heard that if you have to ask you don't need to know. Maybe I've got that wrong, but in my case, there may be truth in the statement.

Leon
Itís the connecting rods that join the driving wheels and propel the locomotive.
In the picture the rod is up inside the casing and not visible.
Ideally in photos the rods are lower so can be seen.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1844 on: September 11, 2019, 09:51:32 PM »
So it's nowt to do with fishing then?

(Okay, I will sign off in a minute  :)).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:52:49 PM by dannyboy »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything