!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Frankland: Southern Railway | London Suburban | 1920s/30s  (Read 67241 times)

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Frankland: Southern Railway | London Suburban | 1920s/30s
« Reply #195 on: July 12, 2015, 11:57:55 AM »
Exquisite.

Cheers  Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline mika

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: July 13, 2015, 11:27:03 AM »
Wonderful story, Mark. Always a pleasure to see a new Frankland update.

Michael

Offline Jerry Howlett

• N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: July 16, 2015, 02:22:54 PM »
Top Ho !!

Even spiffing, if I may be so bold.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Southernboy

• Awards
« Reply #198 on: August 22, 2015, 06:23:34 PM »
The New Empire Flying-Boats

Who, a year or so ago, would have believed you could get to Australia in just 11 days?

Modern technology is a wonderful thing - the new flying-boats must surely represent some pinnacle of mankind's inventiveness! 

And apparently the customer service is second-to-none :)

Naturally the Southern Railway offers regular Pullman express trains to Amblesea Marine for Flying-Boat departures to the miriad destinations across the Empire.

And that's why we see the following advertisement / poster everywhere at the moment ...

... but something about the poster caught my eye.  The van behind the locomotive: It's a bogie van, quite long. Not the usual four-wheeler we're accustomed to.

It set me thinking. A couple of days ago I woke quite early in the morning to the sound of a lot of clanking and commotion around the sidings at Frankland.

I got on my collar and tie and popped down to see what was going on.

I front of me was a new style of van almost double the size of the old ones.

I'm sure it's the van depicted in the poster.

It's quite humbling to think that sitting here in the sidings of Frankland is a van that will be conveying important Whitehall dispatches and the luggage of our Viceroys, Governers and Civil Servants all around the Empire. These are people who shape the destiny of the whole world you know!

It made me feel quite proud really.
All that importance wrapped up in such a van parked here in Frankland :)

These Flying-Boat will soon make traversing the Empire just like getting the tube!

The local paper reported that a subversive type tried to get aboard the van disguised as a Postal Order destined for Malacca. Goodness knows what he was plotting. But the constable was having none of it and soon saw him off with a hefty clip-round-the-ear and rather a stern word   :worried:

youtu.be/NOfWhwvGQZc

Mark

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: August 22, 2015, 07:17:28 PM »
Super! Smashing, old boy!

In fact, jolly,bally good, what!  ;)

Dave G

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: August 22, 2015, 07:36:46 PM »
I say old chap....that's a cracking little fable and spiffingly illustrated (if I may be so bold as to say so).
Great story.....and the illustrations are a great little addition.  Good to see the new GF van on the railway and so good to have someone with the imagination to bring their railway to life so wittingly.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: August 22, 2015, 09:19:48 PM »
Another ripping yarn. Top hole, old bean :thumbsup:

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: August 23, 2015, 09:50:37 AM »
A wonderful addition to the Southern's compliment of rolling stock, although it means that Frankland (and the Empire) is worryingly close to experiencing a bout of fisticuffs with that Austrian chappie who's in charge in Germany these days. However, I'm banking on our wonderful Prime Minister, Mr Neville Chamberlain, soon being able to assure us of peace for our time.

(By the way, I estimate that it'll be the far flung future of the late twentieth century before anyone refers to 'the tube' as anything other than the deep tunnel lines in London, so I can see that you were being very specific in your mention of part of the Underground  ;) )

Offline Jerry Howlett

• N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: August 24, 2015, 02:37:29 PM »
Another ripping yarn.

Wait till Biggles gets his hands of one of those big boys.

Thanks.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: August 24, 2015, 04:08:30 PM »

Wait till Biggles gets his hands of one of those big boys.

Algy has just blushed hotly (again) :-[

Offline Southernboy

• Awards
« Reply #205 on: August 15, 2016, 09:33:11 PM »
And Here Is The News ....

As you may be aware, Frankland has been broadcasting on a different frequency in recent months, but here's a special bulletin as there's some catching up to do!

Best make yourself a nice cup of tea and prepare a pipe before settling down.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Books

I thought I'd start with the Frankland library which continues to grow.

First-up, 'Southern Infrastructure', an excellent choice for detail and atmosphere. I can spend hours observing the minutiae both sides of the railway fence.

An obvious choice for the bookshelves was the following

Next is Gordon Weddell's LSWR Carriages, Volume 3: Non-Passenger Carriage Stock.
Amongst other things it covers TPOs, which I'd like to see on Frankland one day.

I do like foraging around in junk shops, and was lucky enough to come across an original edition London A-Z

And sure enough, on page 25, you can see the streets, stations and parks of Frankland mapped out before your eyes. It will be invaluable for my modelling.

In the same shop a few months later I discovered two old books related to transport/Frankland which I had to buy.

In the next photograph: Most rewarding was the discovery that on the cover of the Ladybird book, if you look very closely through the window on the far side of the compartment, in the lower background you can just make out the flats and shops at the bottom of Frankland Hill, with a No 4 tram trundling by.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Traffic!

The volume of traffic in Frankland isn't quite as frightful as it should be, so I decided to do something about it.

I thought I'd have a go at a Shirescenes horse-drawn van.

An Austin 7 Ruby Saloon

A Morris Cowley 1924 Tourer

A Morris Cowley 1925 Saloon

And what I believe is a 1938 Wolseley saloon. It came with a job-lot from eBay a few years back.

The cars all had an undercoat of grey

And were then brush-painted, glazed, and drivers added.

I made number plates (with correct registrations for time and place).

I also added a windscreen to the Morris Cowley Tourer. The Tourer is owned by the Doctor, who often takes his wife out for a little drive on a Sunday morning. You can see them on the left of the picture above.

The van was also progressed. The cars and van were hand-painted as I hadn't yet embraced the air-brush at this point.

And I reckoned a traffic policeman would be called for, so I made a (not very good) helmet to fit a standard figure of a railwayman and painted accordingly.

But what did I unleash? Look!

The volume of traffic on the roads these days is quite shocking! ;)

You really take your life in your hands just trying to cross the road! What is the world coming to?

It's no surprise to see in the picture below the Doctor and his wife out for a drive, but they're so much out for a drive - as just stuck in traffic!

I didn't used to be like this in the old days!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cigarette Cards

Back in July 2015 I posted a short story about the about the N class locomotive arriving on Frankland, for which I created a few graphics of cigarette cards.

I liked them so much that I decided to go the whole-hog and design a complete set of cards, which were then properly printed. I  thought they'd be an unusual stocking-filler for family and close-friends at Christmas - people who aren't really into model railways as such, but do have a broader appreciation of creativity and like something personal at Christmas that's had a bit of thought and effort put into it.

In the picture below: Top left is the little cover they came in, wrapped around with a bow of sage-green crepe ribbon (I couldn't get sage-green spectacle cord).

There are actually four series that make up the complete set of cards.

Series 1: Southern Railway Locomotives

Series 2: Southern Railway Electric Trains

Series 3: Southern Railway Rolling Stock, Including Pasenger Speed-Rated Vans

Series 4: Things To See From The Train

The only locomotive for which I don't have a card is the Schools. If anyone has one to swop I'd be quite interested.

Anyway, the cigarette cards crop up again later ... ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3-Subs

Finally we move to the subject/project that has been keeping me distracted (obsessed?) the last couple of years ...

I know some have been following progress on my workbench thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66512-n-gauge-lswr-3-sub/

But for those that haven't, here is a precis.

I've probably mentioned before that around the age of 12 or 13 I came across a postcard in a junk shop that fascinated me, here it is.

It spoke of another time and place, somewhere that wasn't a hundred miles away, yet would forever remain intangible. I had to understand more. 

It sowed the roots in my young mind of what has evolved into the Frankland raison d'ętre.

Well a couple of years ago finally the moment came to roll up my sleeves and get on with it ...

I planned to make three sets of 3-Subs. One would be in original LSWR livery, the other two in early SR livery.

Etches from Worsley Works ...

Plus numerous reference photos I'd taken of a slightly later version of the particular 3-Subs I'm modelling, from the National Railway Museum, York.

I also had drawings from the South Western Circle, and armed myself with all the componants I needed.

Other parts were kindly supplied by Etched Pixels, viz: door/grab handles, trusses and roof sections.

Holes were drilled and filed in the etchings ...

Plus folding and soldering happened ... I learned a lot along the way!

Various other parts I made, such as interiors ...

... and roof conduits, rainstrips and carriage-end detailing made from Plastic strip, guitar wire and fuse wire etc. Vents were out of a bag.

Then followed lots of filling and sanding and more bits of Plastic Strip and other things stuck on ...

Coupling is achieved through a squared loop that sits around a small lug on the adjacent bogie. This was a suggestion from a seasoned Southern modeller on RMWeb, Colin Parks.

I learned to use an airbrush (with some failings, but ultimately worth the effort)

Then production-line masking and spraying followed ...

Next my favourite part, picking out the details ...

Precsion Decals were also very helpful guiding me through how to make my own transfers

I was really pleased at how fine the decals turned-out - even the miniscule 'st' on 1st and 'rd' on 3rd are legible. I had feared they would break up on application, but no, they worked out perfectly.

Things started to look good ...  in particular I was interested in showcasing the difference in livery between the LSWR and later SR versions of these units.

Thanks go to Mr Chapman for valuable assistance on the motor side of things.

Anyone interested in further details please visit the workbench thread mentioned above.

The only down-side was my new trains didn't like my old third-rail, so most of it had to be ripped out.

But hey, that's where the imagination comes into play :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now ...

Let's Party Like It's 1924!

... I have great pleasure in bringing you the new Electric Trains for Frankland.

Grouping of the Big Four has recently been enacted and electric trains have come to Frankland: What better way to find out more than to catch the latest newsreel at the cinema.

And as a special treat I've bought us all tickets in the balcony, so be on your best behavior please!

I thank you,

Mark

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 09:51:18 PM by Southernboy »

Offline mika

• Awards
« Reply #206 on: August 15, 2016, 10:37:43 PM »
 :wonderfulmodelling:

Thank you for that wonderful update.

:greatwork:

All the best
Michael

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2016, 06:42:22 AM »
Brilliant! :thumbsup:

Many thanks.

Dave G

Offline willike1958

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12585
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2016, 06:52:34 AM »
Great modelling. Those EMUs are fantastic and look to run extremely well. And a very entertaining and well put together little film.
Well done. Kevin

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: August 16, 2016, 07:07:34 AM »
Briiliant stuff. You must have been up all night posting that! Great update though.... wonderful modelling and some really cool historical artifacts.

Quadruple thumbs up.

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £5.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
 8%
April Donations

Advertise Here