!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran/Trepol Bay  (Read 116835 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran/Trepol Bay
« Reply #2265 on: June 30, 2020, 07:23:39 AM »
The extension is looking good Martin. Excellent loco and autocoach combination too.  :thumbsup:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2266 on: June 30, 2020, 06:58:21 PM »
Sometimes, just sometimes, I find that it is best to walk away from modelling.
I spent about 30 minutes working on my new locomotive depot this afternoon and things weren’t going to plan. I was, as the saying goes “all fingers and thumbs” so I admitted defeat and walked over to Trepol Bay station instead.
And I’m jolly glad that I did. I arrived just in time to witness a real stranger to Cornwall in the shape of Ivatt mogul number 46443 waiting for the road with a train bound for Wadebridge :

Rumour has it that she had worked a train down to Plymouth  from Bristol yesterday and had then been “borrowed” by Laira shed to work a local to Truro from where she is working back up country the long way round via the North Cornwall line.
The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that the three PO wagons photographed at Marton Hinmarche yesterday by @Innovationgame have made their way down to Trepol Bay harbour.

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #2267 on: June 30, 2020, 07:15:40 PM »
Martin,

Love the photograph, however it did make me panic, I had to quickly run to Hillsden to check that it wasn’t my Ivatt Mogul that had disappeared to Cornwall on holiday, I knew it was in Hillsden this morning as it hauled the early local to Leeds.

Thank goodness it was still at home, mind you if it had been Hillsdens Mogul then it had certainly had a good clean and polish since leaving Yorkshire.

Stay safe

Mike H  8) 

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #2268 on: June 30, 2020, 07:24:34 PM »

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that the three PO wagons photographed at Marton Hinmarche yesterday by @Innovationgame have made their way down to Trepol Bay harbour.
I'm glad they were able to make the journey.  I wondered if thay would ever get away from Severn tunnel Junction.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2269 on: June 30, 2020, 07:57:12 PM »
There's no shortage of loco. cleaners in Cornwall. 8-)

Thank you, Martin, for another excellent photo. Bristol (Barrow Road), 82E, ex-LMS, kept a steam loco. allocation until November 1965. It, briefly, had a couple of Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0s: 46506 and 46517 from 10/62 to 11/62 (ex-82B). (There was another pair, earlier in the 1950s, at 82E, as well as a pair at 82B.) Bristol St Philis Marsh, 82B, had some from 1953 to 10/1962. 46443 could have worked down to Bristol from Birmingham, as it was based at Saltley (21A, then 2E) from 1961 to 1966.

Tyseley (2A) allocated 9F 92001 was a frequent performer on the 11.10 a.m. Bournemouth - Newcastle service in July and August 1965 to and from Bournemouth (presumably to and from Birmingham) so a Birmingham 2MT could be explained working so far from home?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:55:32 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2270 on: June 30, 2020, 09:15:11 PM »
With a different 14xx, but similarly liveried, the same autocoach was later seen at Cant Cove on a Wadebridge to Penmayne off-peak working for crew (re)training.

The 14xx is 83E St Blazey's 1468 (correctly with a boiler top feed and smokebox numberplate unlike its sister but also without silver enhancement that the Dapol ND003 N Gauge GWR 14xx 0-4-2T No 1466 in BR Lined Green Livery came with).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:50:09 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2271 on: July 01, 2020, 03:55:39 PM »
Today was our weekly supermarket shop together with a visit to B&Q.
After that, it rained so I did a bit more work on the loco depot either side of lunch and a circular walk around the outskirts of our village (once it had dried up).
Here’s where I am with the depot build:

I’ve added the shell of the coaling stage/water tank with the SR Black Motor sitting below the coal drop.
There will be a timber “cabin” around the hole in the side of the building plus a gantry to the left of the loco tender supporting a rudimentary coal drop facility (as was in place at Truro depot).
The piece of card above the coal wagon represents the approximate height of the water tank. I’m mulling over whether to make it a fraction taller.
The granite wall will, of course, be the sides of the ramp up to the coaling stage.

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #2272 on: July 01, 2020, 04:11:24 PM »
The depot build is looking promising. Liking the brick colours.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2273 on: July 01, 2020, 04:22:53 PM »
That's excellent progress, Martin.

I think your foreman boilersmith will be grateful if a smokebox first rule for engines working the coaling stage incline is observed!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #2274 on: July 01, 2020, 04:57:30 PM »
I think your foreman boilersmith will be grateful if a smokebox first rule for engines working the coaling stage incline is observed!

Isn't replacing fusible plugs a fun job, then?
 ;)

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #2275 on: July 01, 2020, 05:35:19 PM »

;)

I take it you haven't had to do it in a rush then ;D

Regards,

Alex

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #2276 on: July 01, 2020, 05:44:47 PM »

;)

I take it you haven't had to do it in a rush then ;D

I always took good care not to drop one, oeerr missus  :D

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #2277 on: July 01, 2020, 06:09:18 PM »
Nor did I but I did volunteer to quickly brush down the firebox of 5900 Hinderton Hall in 1979 the morning after it had returned from Paddington in order to get it ready for a rail tour next day as it had to take the place of 6000King George V which had failed with a hotbox the previous day on a rail tour from Paddington.
one of our drivers stood on the footplate and talked to me while I worked to make sure I was ok. the damper doors were open so I got a bit of cooler air but the heat was incredible, she still had 40 psi on the clock when I climbed in, and even with some sacking on the brick arch it was mighty hot to sit on! happy days!

Regards,

Alex 

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #2278 on: July 01, 2020, 06:20:07 PM »
I remember reading Bill Morgan's "Behind the steam", where the first job he had was as a "box boy" at Neyland.
The first mistake he made was leaving his cheese sarnies in his overall pocket while he went in to clean a box. By the time he came out his lunch had become Welsh Rarebit :D

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2279 on: July 04, 2020, 02:15:05 PM »
A damp, dismal morning here so a bit more slow progress.
The tank is now atop the coaling stage :

Persuading that curved roof to stick was a challenge.
Still a lot to do on the shed and coaling stage but the basics shells are finished.
Next job is the actual coal drop followed by the granite retaining walls for the ramp road.
Thanks to John @Train Waiting the authorities have now issued a general notice to all railwaymen that locomotives propelling wagons up the slope MUST work boiler forwards.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal