!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran/Trepol Bay  (Read 128936 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran/Trepol Bay
« Reply #1935 on: January 16, 2020, 08:49:42 AM »
That really is a fabulous photograph, Martin.

Thank you.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1936 on: January 20, 2020, 07:36:12 PM »
I doubt that an Ivatt mogul ever made it to Cornwall in real life but in my version of events it did happen.
I’ve always rather liked these elegant locomotives so I just had to have one so here’s 46443 plodding through Trepol Bay station in the direction of Wadebridge with a typical Cornish version of a parcels train (ie anything will do) :

And here’s a closer view as she heads past the footbridge and on past the little locomotive shed.

I’ll get round to fixing it drekkly me ‘ansome.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1937 on: January 23, 2020, 09:32:12 AM »
Lovely pics Martin, The Stathspey Railway operate their services with one of these Ivatt 2MT's (46512 "E.V Cooper  Engineer") - Mrs Milton got me a footplate ride for my birthday back in 2015 ... first class high tea on the outward leg, then footplate from Glenbogle back to Aviemore ... great day out   :)
Thanks for looking - Andrew

My attempt at a box layout - Bogindollo

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50114.msg652980#new

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1938 on: January 25, 2020, 04:50:01 PM »
Thanks for the photos., Martin and VERY belated birthday greetings. I'm only now beginning to catch up on what I missed on the NGF before I'm very busy, again.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1939 on: January 28, 2020, 07:29:12 PM »
Trouble at Trepol Bay this afternoon.

The late running 02.45 Wadebridge to Truro dmu managed to limp into the station before being declared a complete failure.
Luckily, a prarie tank was on hand and able to come to the rescue. The ailing dmu will be shunted into the station yard where it will be assessed.
No doubt the local steam enthusiasts will be delighted to hear the news .......”Steam to the Rescue”.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #1940 on: January 28, 2020, 07:47:36 PM »
Class 101, complete failure!!??

You cad sir!

She's probably already got a million miles under her belt and only gets the occasional wipe over with an oily rag. Maintenance staff too busy trying to get those kettles to boil.  :)

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1941 on: January 28, 2020, 08:49:39 PM »
The GWS (Port Perran) were no doubt delighted to be of assistance with one of their trusty 475 2-6-2Ts and a very nice post-New Year bonus for the local enthusiasts at Trepol Bay after the Christmas and New Year specials have been and gone. I see a substitute train of BR Crimson BR Standard Suburban coaches has been readied for the DMU replacement service which, no doubt the 4575 will take out back to Wadebridge or down to Truro?

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1942 on: January 28, 2020, 09:05:49 PM »
Excellent!  And so very prototypical.

One of my late father-in-law's favourite anecdotes concerned railbus rescue adventures on the Speyside line.  A nice day out with a reliable old steam engine.

That's progress for you.

Super photograph, thank you, Martin.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1943 on: January 31, 2020, 07:04:11 PM »
Trepol Bay, located as it is at the extreme Western extremity of the old LSWR system in Cornwall had been reached, originally, by the Great Western.
As such into the 1960s the station witnessed a fascinating variety of locomotives from the Southern and Western regions as well as several BR standard types.
Today, however, the locomotives on view are all of pure x Great Western types.
6803 Bucklebury Grange arrives, somewhat surprisingly tender first with a train for Penzance from Wadebridge. Perhaps the Wadebridge turntable was out of use.

Meanwhile, a rare visitor to Cornwall in the form of a 22xx 0-6-0 waits with a local train bound for North Cornwall.
In the distance a large prarie tank can just be discerned in the station yard patiently awaiting her next duty which will be a short goods train bound for Penmayne later in the afternoon.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1944 on: January 31, 2020, 07:35:17 PM »
Many thanks for a super photograph, Martin.

And an instructive one!  I've always admired (normally from afar, I'm afraid) GW locomotives.  Somehow or other I thought that the 'Grange' class were Red Route engines.  Turns out, from the disc on No. 6803's cabside, that they were Blue, just like the 'Manor' class.

I understand that the 'Grange' class were particularly popular in Cornwall, which makes her very appropriate for Trepol Bay.  I've heard that many enginemen preferred them to the 'Hall' class; probably this was due to the combination of the smaller driving wheels and the improved steam circuit.  Certainly Swindon got it right first time with this class, unlike the 'Manors' which needed a bit of work.

And isn't that Peco 'Collett Goods' a lovely engine?

Best wishes.

John

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1945 on: January 31, 2020, 07:43:09 PM »
John
I hadn’t noticed that and like you, I thought that Grange RA was red.
Checking on line seems to confirm this.
Hmmmm.
Someone, no doubt can shed some light on that.
Martin

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1946 on: January 31, 2020, 07:57:37 PM »
I've just checked in my 1955 Observer's Book of Railway Locomotives and the RA for the Grange is indeed given as red.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1947 on: January 31, 2020, 09:20:17 PM »
It is a quite well-known era on Dapol's part. The cabside RA disc should indeed be red and not blue (as the 'Manors').

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1948 on: February 01, 2020, 09:33:17 PM »
Certainly Swindon got it right first time with this class, unlike the 'Manors' which needed a bit of work.

I just wish Dapol had got it right. I had to send my Grange back!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1949 on: February 09, 2020, 01:44:17 PM »
Two young railway enthusiasts , David Orr and his friend Peter Roberts, were out watching trains at Trepol Bay this morning.
Nothing untoward occurred until, at about 11.15, a pannier tank approached the station from the Wadebridge direction at the head of a freight train seemingly headed towards Truro.
“Pannier on the goods”, yelled young David.
“Yes, same as usual, but wait, what on earth is that second wagon?”, chipped in Peter excitedly,  “It’s enormous, I’ve never seen anything like it........”

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal