!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran/Trepol Bay  (Read 110011 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran/Trepol Bay
« Reply #1635 on: July 05, 2019, 11:26:15 AM »
Thank you, Martin, for another fine pair of photos. of an interesting train. The backscene really fits in extremely well. I hope to have the backscene boards fitted around Cant Cove, this month, and need to organise which colour photos. to use.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1636 on: July 05, 2019, 08:21:13 PM »
I’ve just had one of those frustrating evenings in the train room.

It’s been hot here but we’ve had a busy day with food shopping then gardening before lunch. I then had a birthday package to post off so had a walk (very much uphill) to the next village. Our village doesn’t have a Post Office.
We then had a couple of very hot hours on the allotment picking gooseberries, strawberries and pulling the first of this season’s beetroot.
Anyway, after our evening meal, I usually have 30 minutes or so in the train room just running a few trains round. It’s a good way to relax.
This evening I went up, as usual, and set my Standard Class 5 off (she generally makes a circuit of the layout faultlessly).
I’d just switched her to on when the door was knocked. It was the Tesco delivery man. Now, we neither shop in Tesco nor have deliveries from them. The driver was lost which is a frequent problem here (despite sat navs). Having directed him up the lane, I returned to the railway and was surprised to discover the Standard off the track on her side! Close investigation revealed that the track was adrift on a bend beyond the station. This is something that never happens. It was, of course, on the only section of track which is difficult to reach. I assume this was due to heat expansion as It has been probably the hottest day of the year here.
Worse was the fact that the “crash” had loosened a traction tyre.
30 minutes later the track was repaired (I have to remove the corner scenic section and part of the backboard to reach) and the traction tyre was back on.
The Standard 5 then completed 4 or so circuits quite happily so I was able then to run a few more trains as planned.
Just to prove all was ok, here is my lovely little Class 22 with milk empties returning westwards to St Erth.
E7890549-860E-4146-BB2E-AACF6EBC5357 by martin scane, on Flickr
In future I shall not leave trains torun unattended....till next time   :D

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:26:15 PM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1637 on: July 05, 2019, 08:54:09 PM »
So pleased you were able to fix that little upset. :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

Always good to see you photos here. They are so full of interest, and your new backscene fits the layout perfectly  :D

With all best wishes

Kevin.

PS Thank you for the info regarding "British India Line" if it is too busy Tomorrow, we could go again Tuesday, but there has been no news locally at all

:beers:

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #1638 on: July 05, 2019, 09:05:44 PM »
Hi Martin,

Nice pic and also glad all's well now. From what I've read you've got the only Peco Setrack layout in the country that actually works  :D. Jokey joke.

Great stuff as usual.

Cheers weave  :beers:

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:06:54 PM by weave »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1639 on: July 05, 2019, 09:42:45 PM »
The driver was lost which is a frequent problem here (despite sat navs).

Possibly because of sat-navs!

A lovely picture; thank you.

Glad the track and 'Standard 5' have been repaired.  No heat expansion problems here today!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #1640 on: July 05, 2019, 10:37:23 PM »
Martin,

I've heard Sod's Law was originally written by a model railway enthusiast. Leaving trains running unattended has to be a complete no-no surely? I've had little "incidents" in the five seconds it takes me to reach into the cupboard under the layout for a pencil or something. Its as if they KNOW!!!

"OK chaps, he's not looking. Everyone derail or jump over the edge"  :worried:

By the way, I totally agree with you about little class 22's. Lovely looking things!

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1641 on: July 06, 2019, 06:51:52 AM »
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, Martin.  I sometimes leave a loco running for hours unattended when I am trying to run the gremlins out of it.  The worst that happens is that sometimes, when I return, it has stalled, usually in one of the loops.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1642 on: July 06, 2019, 07:10:02 AM »
Lovely picture Martin, sorry to hear of a frustrating time in the train room (we can all sympathise with that, some more than others!), great to hear normal service was resumed shortly after

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1643 on: July 06, 2019, 03:43:51 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
Many thanks Martin, all looking really good, glad the de- railment was quick fix.
    Summer has finally arrived in Cornwall, at least for now.
      regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1644 on: July 06, 2019, 04:25:46 PM »
...From what I've read you've got the only Peco Setrack layout in the country that actually works  :D. Jokey joke...

It was Martin's superb Port Perran and Trepol Bay layouts that gave me the courage to use only Peco 'Setrack' on Poppingham - the Table-Top Railway (Mk. IV).  Previous attempts had used a mixture of 'Setrack' and 'Steamline', or Kato 'Unitrack'.  The 'Setrack' has proved to be excellent and is giving very reliable running... even although I laid the track!

Many thanks, Martin and please keep up the good work.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #1645 on: July 06, 2019, 05:57:14 PM »
...From what I've read you've got the only Peco Setrack layout in the country that actually works  :D. Jokey joke...

It was Martin's superb Port Perran and Trepol Bay layouts that gave me the courage to use only Peco 'Setrack' on Poppingham - the Table-Top Railway (Mk. IV).  Previous attempts had used a mixture of 'Setrack' and 'Steamline', or Kato 'Unitrack'.  The 'Setrack' has proved to be excellent and is giving very reliable running... even although I laid the track!

Many thanks, Martin and please keep up the good work.

John

Sorry John  :-[,

Twas the heat and the wine and the heat. Let's blame the heat.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1646 on: July 06, 2019, 08:18:01 PM »

Sorry John  :-[

Twas the heat and the wine and the heat. Let's blame the heat.

Chris

Please, absolutely no need to apologise.  I was agreeing with you  :thumbsup: as regards the general spiffingness of Martin's layouts.  I think the key to 'Setrack', as with so much in this wonderful hobby, is to give it a try and see if it works in one's own context.  'Setrack' has worked for me.  Martin showed the way; I followed.  I have sometimes wondered how much of the success I seem to have stumbled upon is because of my 98% use of Union Mills locomotives.  But the little Dapol '48xx' 0-4-2T is happy on the rare occasions it gets out to play.  I've a Dapol 2-6-2T (or two!) somewhere.  I might give them a try out on this layout in the interests of research.

That's great about the wine.  Helps one to think clearly.  As does fine, foaming ale.   :beers:

Not a lot of heat here - a fairly agreeable temperature!

All best wishes.

John

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1647 on: July 06, 2019, 08:33:43 PM »
I do believe that your Dapol 2-6-2s will perform admirably John.
Are they the GW variety or the LM type?
I have 3 of the little GW praries which work just fine (even double heading) plus one of the Midland 41xxx series which is superb.

Martin

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1648 on: July 07, 2019, 08:21:05 PM »
Tomorrow will see Trepol  Bay packed away for a bit as we have guests arriving on Wednesday so the train room will revert to a bedroom.
So……a few final photographs. It is uncertain when the layout will be back in action as we are waiting on confirmation from further guests later in July.
31811 arrives with the 15.13 to Penzance. This train departed London (Waterloo) at 9.26 this morning as a 12 coach train but is now reduced, for the final portion of its journey to 2 carriages plus a luggage van.
D95711A9-BF9C-46DB-BEF9-06FE7344BEBF by martin scane, on Flickr
Looking carefully at the luggage van, we see the cycle logo. Indeed, this van has been specially converted to carry bicycles.
The South London Wheelers Club has chartered the van, plus 24 seats (1st class) from Clapham Junction to Penzance from where the group will be travelling on to Land’s End then cycling back to London.
ADF1E0E0-4BD2-49B7-A409-206F7A646427 by martin scane, on Flickr
Some 15 minutes later a pair of pannier tanks pass Trepol Bay with the slightly late running 15.20 china clay train from Par to Exeter. The panniers will be replaced at Wadebridge by an Ivatt mogul.
B71756EC-4B34-483A-929A-77AAB62C845F by martin scane, on Flickr

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #1649 on: July 07, 2019, 10:15:05 PM »
Hi Martin,

Great pics and nice scenario with the cyclists.

Please remember though that WE are your friends and that you are not allowed any others ie. guests  :no: :D  ;).

Will miss Trepol Bay for a while but hopefully the other layouts will still be on the viewing circuit.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal