!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hillsden  (Read 21388 times)

Offline Nbodger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
Re: Hillsden
« Reply #915 on: August 13, 2020, 08:24:59 PM »
Hillsden Day 109

Again, old NBodger was up early for his morning walk with Flo the cocker spaniel, as we headed down the path that leads to the river, there must have been a deer along the path earlier, as Flo went mad following the scent, well it is her nature, then she spotted seagulls on the ground, the only problem they were within a building site, so she ducked under the temporary fence to chase them, bodger did warn her that those 360 degree excavators were a bit bigger than her, she did eventually come back and we carried on for our usual walk. It was still very warm today walking along the banks of the Humber with nice breeze.  :doh:

When bodger returned, Mrs N was busy sorting out the icing on the birthday cake she was baking yesterday, so bodger made Flo and his breakfast, the usual toast and coffee.  ::)

Lunchtime soon came around, then Mrs N and bodger were going to see friends in Kirton Lindsey, so bodger had to find his passport to cross the border via the Humber Bridge to Lincolnshire. This was the bodged up trip from Tuesday that Mrs N got the day wrong.

So off they went for the afternoon including Flo the cocker spaniel, who behaved well in their very large garden until she discovered the pond, with plastic ducks and carp. As she decided to go paddling shall we say, she ended up on her lead. Woof Woof anybody want a fish supper, she barked.  :no:

Due to all this galivanting around, bodger has not been able to set foot in Hillsden, hasnít even been able to watch the test match, such a bad day for Bodger, well there is always tomorrow, so Bodger thought, but there isnít as Mrs N and Bodger will be in York for the day.

Yesterday evening NBodger did manage to cut out around half of the door and window openings to the second hand car showroom, so at least something has moved on a little.  ::)

Since his evening meal, bodger did manage to pop into Hillsden, complete with camera and notebook, but soon wished he hadnít as he had a little accident moving a tripod. When bodger erected the lamp posts on Hillsden, I believe he said, it wonít be long before there are a few accident cameos on the layout where vehicles have run into the posts and bent them, well it wasnít a vehicle in this case it was Bodgers tripod, which also took out a tree, anyway everything is sorted and pack to near normal, well as normal as it can be with bodger around.  >:(

Well what did bodger see whilst at the station.

It is July 1953, three years before bodger was born and a V2 a rare visitor at the time hauling a York to Liverpool express, the V2 only hauled the train as far as Todmorden where it was replaced by a Crab 2-6-0. The only problem with the picture is the English Electric Type 3 in the background which was not introduced until 1961, eight years after the photo was apparently taken.  :hmmm:

NBodger goes back to the future  ???

The V2 did actually haul the said train in July 1953 according to Railway Memories No 11

Sorry only one photograph today, but bodger hopes you enjoyed your visit to the White Rose County and you return soon. In the meantime, stay safe

Mike H (made in Yorkshire)  8)

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #916 on: August 13, 2020, 08:42:13 PM »
The only problem with the picture is the English Electric Type 3 in the background which was not introduced until 1961, eight years after the photo was apparently taken.  :hmmm:

NBodger goes back to the future  ???

Nah, the photo's fine.  But as the V2 has a late crest on the tender your calendar is clearly b*gg*r*d :D

Offline Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #917 on: August 13, 2020, 10:34:42 PM »
Gaol (ye olde worlde spelling of jail)
I think that gaol is still the English spelling.  Jail is the American spelling.

Laurence,
I was bamboozled by your post, as I wasnít sure if you were just stating a fact, which I agree is correct, or if you were somehow trying to relate it to my previous posts and yours.

Mike H  8)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #918 on: Yesterday at 07:44:03 AM »
No, I was just stating a fact.  I rembered how I used to be confused as a young child by newspaper reports of people being sent to goal. :confused1:  I suspect that I must be mildly dialectric, because I often read words incorrectly.  I couldn't understand what football had to do with prison. :dunce:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #919 on: Yesterday at 08:07:19 AM »
No, I was just stating a fact.  I rembered how I used to be confused as a young child by newspaper reports of people being sent to goal. :confused1:  I suspect that I must be mildly dialectric, because I often read words incorrectly.  I couldn't understand what football had to do with prison. :dunce:

Here you are, chaps. Both are correct, having come via two different French sources from the same Latin root.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-did-we-ever-spell-jail-gaol-

Interestingly, Wiktionary mentions most Australian newspapers preferring "jail" citing either it giving a narrower print width or the possibility of transposing the letters to produce "goal"  :D

Probably easier to just refer to it as the nick or clink  :D

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #920 on: Yesterday at 08:16:05 AM »
That seems to be a fair division of blame (or should I say praise), Chris.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Nbodger

• Awards
« Reply #921 on: Yesterday at 08:35:56 PM »
Hillsden Day 110

It is 30th September 1961 and rumours are strong that A4 4-6-2 Mallard, the world record holder was rostered to haul The Northern Rubber Companies annual outing from Retford to the Blackpool Illuminations via of course the Calder Valley line, which is true, but when it reached Hillsden it was not quite as scheduled, you see Mallard had a issues and was replaced with sister locomotive A4 60017 Silver Fox, but still quite a sight travelling at speed through Hillsden.

Bodger was on hand to capture this rare moment although a little sad that Mallard had not made it.

NBodger was up very early this morning to take Flo out for her walk along the Humber, it was a little cool today, so bodger wore a jumper and by the time he returned he wished he hadnít as it had warmed up quite considerably.

Well NBodger and Mrs N were up early as they had to be in York for 11:00 am as it was the interring of Mrs N fatherís ashes at the cemetery, unfortunately due to Covid and Bodger being one of those many officially shielding they had not been able to attend the funeral in March and today was the first time all the siblings and their partners have been able to get together.

A very enjoyable day was had by all, and it was very good to catch up with family who we havenít seen for some time.

One thing bodger learnt, donít follow Mrs Nís directions, needless to say we were late and the service was held up until we arrived. Ironically if Bodger had ignored Mrs N we would have got there in time, what makes it worse Mrs N had visited her motherís grave three times in the last 18 months, well now bodger wonders did she go to the right grave.  ???

Anyway, NBodger has done no work on Hillsden for the last two days, he is starting to get withdrawal symptoms and his hands are starting to shake, so will have to make up for it over the weekend.

More to the point he hasnít been able to watch a lot of the test match over the same period.  :doh:

Nbodgers world in crumbling around him  :(

Sorry for the very short post, hope you have enjoyed your visit to Hillsden, in the meantime, stay safe

Mike H  8)

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal