!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: GWR - Small Loop Layout.  (Read 3476 times)

Offline SimonDBench

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
GWR - Small Loop Layout.
« on: February 18, 2011, 01:39:27 PM »
Hi all,  just joined this forum on the recomendation of another user.  What I want to share with you guys is my new GWR looped layout but first here's a bit of background.

I have started to build another layout called Moggington, it's a GWR yard and is my first attempt at making a layout.  However as much as I love my yard I want a loop for mainline passenger trains.  Thus this new layout was born.

Moggington

This new layout will be based on the London to Penzance line around the Plymouth area.  My first intention was to base the layout on my home town of Ivybridge, however doing so would mean I would need a Viaduct and the size of the layou doesn't permit this.  Instead I have decided to create ficticious layout based on the Ivybridge and Plymouth area leaning more towars the rural side.  This layout is as yet unnamed but will most likely be something-bridge. 

So now why the interest in Ivybridge and Plymouth?  Well I grew up in Ivybridge and used to be right next to the mainline.  I even had the delight to see the Flying Scottsman go past.  And Plymouth (20 mins away) is where I live now.

Ok so let's see some pics of this board huh?

it doesnt hinge i have just propped it up

Behind the backscene I will be placing a small fiddle yard but I want this yard to allow the layout to be linked up to Moggington at a later date.  That's all from me for now.

Simon

Offline Dock Shunter

• Trade Count: (+10)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: GWR - Small Loop Layout.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 03:19:03 PM »
Hello Simon..... welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:
Great start to your layout

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 04:32:10 PM »
Hi Simon, welcome aboard, feel free to post lots of update pictures as you continue your build

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20957
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • YouTube
    • My layout photos on Flickr
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 05:30:28 PM »
Nice to see you here Simon. :thumbsup:

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 07:12:19 PM »
Welcome!   :thumbsup:

Lovely layout, and lots of sidings for rolling stock.  That's a great idea to have the layout fold against the wall.  I may look into that for my future layout.

Offline Richard G Dallimore

• N Gauge Society Number: 17713
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 09:14:59 PM »
 :) keep us updated with the additional area. :NGAUGE:
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Dapol Apologist (according to RMWeb)
Grumpy Old Git (Late 40s)
Member of NGS (but not allowed to comment)
Why am I surrounded by maroons?

Offline SimonDBench

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 12:36:59 PM »
Hello again, here is a short update!

I managed to spend some time starting to sculpt the landscape of the railway with the last of my free HDF. 

Note this station will bot actually be used.  I have a Peco country station I am planning to build for the layout instead.

After getting the back rock faces to a state I am happy with I find I would like to raise the track bed up a bit (maybe 1cm) to then sculpt a more undulating terrain as the whole thing is a little too flat. The plan?  polystyrne tiles.  I think they should do the trick especially if I cover the lot with tissue and PVA afterwards to make the whole thing rock solid.

Another small point, the rock face coming from the middle right I am not so happy with.  I think I will bring this out further to create a more impressive cutting. Also once extended I have a Metcalfe Church that I think will look quite nice up there.

So to do list.

1> Buy tiles.
2> Cut and Fit tiles.
3> PVAand tissue the whole thing.

Once the ground work is all finished then I am going to spend some time soldering droppers to each piece of track.  Then come the big wire up.  Hopefully this will give me nice reliable performance.

Well that's all for now.

Simon

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything