!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Schools class Repton  (Read 1741 times)

Offline owlerton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27080
    • Awards
Dapol Schools class Repton
« on: April 04, 2017, 08:41:37 PM »
 :hellosign:
I am a new member of this esteemed site.
I am a little perturbed as I am about to splash my cash and decided on  Schools class loco.
It seems that there are none in BR green, but I note that on previous posts there seems to be a suggestion that I should order willy nilly any old model and worry about it later.
As a newcomer find this odd, surely this just means that some people just stock pile models with no intention of actually running them. And these are posts on a forum which is trumpeting the future of a 'hobby' that I can only just afford and looked forward to as a thing to enjoy in my retirement years.
Maybe someone can sort out my confusion. :confusedsign:

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Schools class Repton
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 08:59:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum. No need to order Willy nilly. Order what you want from what's available. There is a BR black Schools available but no BR green.
There are people who have loads of cash and collect locos of many liveries but that's their choice. Do what's best for you.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline austinbob

• N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 09:04:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum. No need to order Willy nilly. Order what you want from what's available. There is a BR black Schools available but no BR green.
There are people who have loads of cash and collect locos of many liveries but that's their choice. Do what's best for you.
P.S. if you check out a retailer online, like Hattons, you can get a good idea of what's available and prices.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 09:10:34 PM »
The Schools is a recent model and there's a good chance of more production runs, especially in liveries that have sold well such as BR Green.

There may still be a green one unsold at a small retailer, or you can register your interest at eBay, Hattons and Rails of Sheffield and hope for a second hand one.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 09:15:57 PM »
Never dealt with this shop so I don't know if it is actually in stock....?

http://www.ttcdiecast.com/dapol-2s-002-000-schools-repton-30926-br-lined-green-late-crest-63703-p.asp
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 09:21:08 PM »
DM toys have 5 in stock it seems

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-2S-002-000-Dampflok-Schools-Class-30926-Repton-BR-Spur-N-NEU-/172461839012

Not as cheap as some UK shops have offered it perhaps, but they are a good reliable shop I've bought from.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline owlerton

• N Gauge Society Number: 27080
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 09:35:13 PM »
 :thankyousign:
Thanks to all who posted suggestions
Have checked several sites. Maybe I will strike lucky.
 :claphappy:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 02:26:38 PM »
Some folks seem to be having a problem sourcing the late crest Schools 'Repton'

I am reliably informed 'Crafty Hobbies' in Barrow have stock, and I saw one on a stall at the Warrington Show today (trader 'World of Motion' http://www.worldofmotion.co.uk ) which they may still have.

Online thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 02:15:34 PM »
I took a chance and ordered a B grade Repton from DCC Supplies for £63 which arrived today. Absolutely no idea why it was returned to them or only a B grade as it looks and runs perfectly.
http://www.dccsupplies.com/cl-325/dapol-outlet.htm

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 06:08:22 PM »
I took a chance and ordered a B grade Repton from DCC Supplies for £63 which arrived today. Absolutely no idea why it was returned to them or only a B grade as it looks and runs perfectly.

I've purchased some B grade models from DCC Supplies (not a Schools though) and found that, like Gareth, I could not find any reason why they should have been so categorised - a good way of getting some discounted models (albeit without the warranty of a 'new' model) and also of liveries that may have sold out elsewhere.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 08:18:59 PM »
A certain law would ensure I would buy a right lemon and have to pay more than it's worth to get it fixed ::) ::)

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 09:56:16 PM »
I bought a Grade B Schools from DCCS recently and it arrived with a broken coupling rod - perhaps due to it being sent to Australia in nothing more substantial than a Jiffy bag. Although DCCS say that their outlet models are Sold as Seen, I did get a refund on the basis that it was advertised as a runner.

Offline ODRAILS

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 10:50:43 AM »

My B Grade Repton arrived from DCC Supplies today. The model appeared perfect but on my radius 2 test oval it stopped with the dreaded bogie/valve gear jam. A very slight adjustment to the shape of the off side connecting rod and a loosening of the bogie pin solved the problem and now it's a beautiful smooth runner.

Offline NeMo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 10:58:22 AM »
My B Grade Repton arrived from DCC Supplies today. The model appeared perfect but on my radius 2 test oval it stopped with the dreaded bogie/valve gear jam. A very slight adjustment to the shape of the off side connecting rod and a loosening of the bogie pin solved the problem and now it's a beautiful smooth runner.

Cool! Sounds like you lucked out there. Well done.

It's nice to hear good stories about people buying these DCC Supplies 'graded' locos. They're often at very tempting prices. Also good to hear the 'Schools' runs nicely. My experience of Dapol steam tender engines is a bit mixed, at the very least, finding them a bit noisy. The last one I got was a 'Manor' and while it looks and runs great, it's a lot noisier than my most recent Farish steam loco, a 'Duchess'.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 02:50:18 PM »

Although loosening the bogie pivot screw does cure the problem, the screw will eventually fall out usually at the most awkward place to get at please take a look at my post below with a proven fix by inserting a washer between the bogie and the pivot post
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6606.msg397881#msg397881

hope this helps

Alex

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here