!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dunny on the Wold 4'x2' (ish)  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Wingnut

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Dunny on the Wold 4'x2' (ish)
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:18:29 PM »
Evening All,

I thought as I was starting a new layout I would start a thread about it here, as we are all N gaugers ;D. Now I have never successfully completed a layout before, I got as far as plonking a few buildings near some track on a baseboard and had a train going around a few years ago. Not really an achievement though, as I already did that at age 7  :-[, and I'm a lot older now (probably no wiser though). I'm also hoping that by posting to this thread, I will be able to chart my progress and encourage myself to keep at it and finish it at some stage.

So, I have spent many weeks browsing the net, reading threads here and there, asking questions and sweating over AnyRail, and to be honest getting nowhere. However over the last 48 hours I (think I ???) have cracked it...

I started with this...several weeks ago...

Then this because the one above was to symmetrical...And I was ready to lay the track on this one but...

....I got distracted from track laying by SWMBO and I was not sure about the station at the front  :-\ so a few more hrs on AnyRail and I got this...

After which, I applied the less is more rule and finished with this  ;D

And tested on the board with the settrack I have...(Top left curve here is 9" radius (8" in above plan) and you can see how close to the edge of the board things are getting in the fiddle yard  :(.

So a few details, track is code 80 insulfrog small radius points and a lot of settrack pieces as you can see above. I have 6 yds of flexi which I can use for the scenic area and most of the fiddle yard straights and it will be needed for the 8" radius in the top left corner, which will be hidden. Only the top half of the 180deg is 8", I had to do this to bring the track away from the edge of the board, the extra inch has made all the difference (yes, I spotted the double entendre :P). I have done a test and all my loco's and stock will do 7" radii but strugle at 6" so 8" will be fine  ;D. points blades will be electrically bridged to the stock rail permanently making the whole layout live, hence all the sections (13 in all), some points are already a bit finicky about passing electrickery when switched. Points will be operated by Mercontrol wire in tube but with knobs not levers. Lots of space in the fiddle yard, better looking at it than looking for it  ;).

Buildings will be from the ScaleScenes range. Having only ever built a SuperQuick kit a long time ago, I have no idea how well I will manage/get on with card and paper. I do like the idea of the printed textures, I paint reasonably well, but I could not reproduce those effects if my life depended on it. So, if all else fails I'll tackle the Ratio kits I have stashed.

Loco's are a mix of GWR and Early BR steam but for some reason my wagons are private owner or LMS, the moral here is don't impulse buy just because the wife says you can  ::). Coaches are an autocoach with the 14xx and one half of a BR maroon b-set. I would like to run one passenger service with 3 coaches, one with a  b-set, the autocoach and possibly a GWR railcar (in the future). Freight services will be mixed mostly (leaving the odd few wagons in the goods yard using Peco uncoupler) with some through traffic.

Well thats about it. I am a little unsure of how to do the station platform shape wise (and lots of other things tbh), on the plan it looks a bit chunky and does not flow with the track. And probably the biggest decision, is do I operate from the front or from the fiddle yard? If anyone has ideas on that or anything else please shout up...

Regards David...

PS If I stop posting on this thread it's because it's all gone pear shaped and I have either run away to the circus or joined a monastery (a Trappist one in Belgium  ;D).

Online Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
Re: Dunny on the Wold 4'x2' (ish)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 08:47:46 AM »
Wingnut - tricky one I must admit, I think all versions of the plan have merit though I prefer the platform layout in the first one, means you can have a footbridge.  The big funny shaped platform in the later ones would be a fascinating scratchbuild though.

I may have missed it but how big is your board?  also it is difficult to see but do you have any framing under it?  I was thinking ahead to the wiring stage and access underneath.

This site has loads of small layout plans on it, it may give you some more ideas, http://www.cke1st.com/m_train2.htm#topopage

Most importantly though it is your layout and you should go with what you like  :thumbsup:

Offline Wingnut

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:15:34 AM »
Hi Lawrence,

Thank you for your carefully considered thoughts. I'm not feeling the love for the last two plans and the more I look at it, it's a little limited opperationally. The baseboard is 48" x 26", it was only 24" wide but I added an extra strip of wood as the extra width made designing less constricted. It is framed but only around the edges at the moment, when I know where track and things are going I will add x bracing. Also its covered with sealed cork floor tilew. TBH I would happily go with plan one or two, but the more I play around the harder it gets to choose a design. I am happy with the edge of town type of scenery, terraced houses and small businesses, lots of brickwork. With 7 sidings in the fiddle yard it might make more sense to have two platforms to show off the stock and a busier timetable with more goods services. Or I just go back to building  plastic kits, so much simpler, buy the kit, buy the etch parts and build.
Ok... More opinions please and votes on plan 1,2 or 4. I am happy tp build any of these but now am thinking plan one offers th most opperating potential. Track wll be laid this weekend come hell or high water. Obviously orders from
SWMBO excepted.

Regards David

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 10:42:42 AM »
The  plans all look great in their own way but I have found that if you lay out a bassic plan in real track on the board then sit back and add move additions around having compaered all your plans together you will find that a tweek here and there can work wonders.
Good luck and have fun whatever you decide  :thumbsup:
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Online Lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 11:18:51 AM »
Wingnut - have a look at that link I gave you, the first lot are on 24x48 boards, you will be amazed what you can fit in :thumbsup:

Offline Wingnut

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 01:05:16 AM »
Hi Lawrence,

Took a good look at that site and a few others, most seem to be US outline inspired with lines rambling all over the place, some are nice though with good use of space and elevation, I liked the the folded dogbone one especially. I noticed very few have a fiddle yard or "rest of world" siding/line.

So I've had another play seeing as I'm on a roll here, and I think this is an improvement on the last plan, a lot busier anyways. Station area and goods area are independent of through line so 2 operations can happen at the same time, shunting the yard while another train circulates for instance. As this is now a terminus (ignoring the sneaky through line), I have a main platform with a runaround and one for a push pull service, another coach for the 14xx possibly and a railcar for the bay. Any suggestions on what coaching stock I should be thinking of would be appreciated.  The goods yard now has a headshunt so trains can now enter from any direction and not be trapped. I have removed the through goods shed to a lineside version as I don't think loco's generally passed through them and the Scalescenes one is free ;D.

Please feel free to comment and offer your advice and opinions. I need all the help I can get and I won't be offended, honest Guv  ;D

Regards David

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:07:59 AM by Wingnut »

Offline matt-b

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 09:32:44 AM »
hello
i like the first idea best with the throu station... terminus stations are ok, but needs alot of space, you need a good foot if not more of wasted platfrom space if your going to run around your train.
upto you thou, i like your ideas, with plenty going on its meaning you can have afew trains parked up and ready to go.  :)
what sort of length trains are you hoping to run?  :)

:NGaugeForum:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 10:54:39 AM by matt-b »

Online Lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 10:33:45 AM »
Hi David, yes should have mentioned the US theme of that site apologies :-[ it is good food for thought though  ;D

I am tending to agree with matt though, your first design looks the one I would probably choose, but, just to throw a spanner in the works, have you looked at the possibility of losing a line in the fiddle yard and a platform at the station and double tracking the main loop to give traffic in both directions?

Ok, I'll get my coat  ::)

:thumbsup:

Offline matt-b

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »
if you go to the for sale bit on this site, then look for tanks layout that has sold. i think this well give you a good idea about how much you can fit in the space. his is slightly longer but suits your track plan you gave, minus the inside yard. but the station layout seems to be the sort of thing your looking for.  :)

:NGaugeForum:

Offline tadpole

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 10:43:15 PM »
i'm with matt, too, first idea was the best. A bit of tweaking could resolve the symmetry issue.

Your latest plan does not allow through trains to serve the station, which I suppose is ok if the section beyond is freight only.
Two rails good. Three better.

Offline Wingnut

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 12:29:40 PM »
Good Morning All,

Well had an interesting day yesterday with a minor family emergency, ended up driving around 400km and not getting much done at home. It did give me a bit of thinking time however and I made a mental list of what I wanted with this limited space I have which after all is only 600 scale feet or 200yds, not a lot in railway terms  ;). Hopefully I have it right (for me) this time.

Things I want to include:

A station with one or two platforms (not counting the  bay).
  A bay platform.
  A goods shed.
  An engine shed.
  Four or more fiddle yard sidings (for the stock I don't have yet).
  A footbridge, (thank you Lawrence  ;D, so two platforms then).
  Terraced houses and lots of red brick.
  A small business yard with character, a scrap or builders merchant for instance.
  Little dioramas, lots of little things not seen at first glance, and of course a few model railway clichés like a grounded coach or a truck being loaded at the goods/coal yards etc.

And lastly the biggie, and it took me a long while to work this out and was why I was not happy with the previous design attempts, but could not put my finger on it. I want to see the front of the buildings. I don't want to look at the back of the station building or goods shed, nothing going on there just bricks, nice dark red ones admittedly, but seen one brick seen em all. All the above are things I get a buzz out of seeing on others' railways, so as Billy Connolly says: " I want some of that, and I want it now!"

Ok with that in mind I had another ::) sit down last night and this morning (I did go to bed in-between ;D) with a nice cup of tea and some toast (which the dog got half of :( well it had landed jam side down so I wasn't going to eat it  ;)) and just kinda flipped the bottom half of the plan over, and ended up with a plan I had a long time ago and had dismissed/forgotten about. And I have to say I like it. My only niggle is that the station goods yard is a bit close to the edge of the baseboard restricting scenery here, but I can't have everything can I :angel:!

Things I think are improved over the first plan include an engine shed that is easily accessed, I now have a dedicated headshunt, I have a footbridge  ;), I don't have to bend the siding to fit and I can see the FRONT of all the important buildings  :thumbsup:. Trains will mostly be passenger services, One 3/4 coach train, a b-set, the aotocoach (I already have) and a railcar. Two freight services with 5/6 wagons each stopping to deliver/collect to or from the goods yard, possibly one goods one coal or mixed. All train lengths are dictated by the length of the fiddle yard sidings.

So to all those kind enough to reply so far and anyone else who would has any thoughts, what do you think? Any obvious flaws I've missed?

Right I'm off to solder some points...

Regards David

PS I do apologise for my long rambling posts, and sincerely appreciate all your help.

Offline tadpole

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 01:14:34 PM »
...and the fact the scenic area layout is almost identical to the hidden makes it even better.
Two rails good. Three better.

Offline Wingnut

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 01:33:25 PM »
...and the fact the scenic area layout is almost identical to the hidden makes it even better.

LOL  :-[ purely coincidental I assure you...

Regards David

Online Lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 01:52:42 PM »
Like that one  :thumbsup: you will have the room for a nice big station building if you so desire and you can stick a car park on the other side of it with bus links or taxi stands, all leading out to your street.  One thing to consider before you start the scenic side of things, I have read that many folks "shape" their scenic breaks, to make it less like a train set and more like a layout, so you may want to consider having it offset a bit.

Offline Wingnut

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 02:11:31 PM »
Thanks Lawrence,

Glad you reminded me about taxis, I very seldom use taxis so tend not to think of them, buses on the other hand I do use and have planned for one of those somewhere, possibly broken down with a queue of disgruntled passengers. I don't want to loose too much scenic area so I might just form a small curve into the corner to hide the squareness or angle the sides like they were in my first plan but still curve the corners a bit. Once I get the track down and some trains running, and assuming everything runs well, I'll crack on with some buildings so I can see how they will all fit in. Using the Scalescenes kits I can make a few mockups and see how best to get them to gel as a whole scene. I presume one starts from the back and works forward to avoid damaging work already done?

Regards David

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations