!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: St Clements Hauptbahnhof - my first N scale layout  (Read 27792 times)

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Re: St Clements - my first N scale layout
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 09:25:19 AM »
Thanks!

I enjoy running the trains so the goal was to get the layout finished in a reasonable timescale and this meant it was a 'just for fun' layout rather than being prototypical with fine detail (which my modelling skills and patience are not up to!)

However my original aim was to have completed the layout by Xmas 2011 however more points and expansion sets on eBay were too tempting so the track plan was changed several times. So the completion date slipped to the end of March which I will meet but it is dependent on when the resin arrives for doing the sea.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 11:17:40 AM »
Latest pictures following the curing of the Magic Water. I have not added any waves yet.

An atmospheric photo of Eutostar rounding the sea wall - St Clements-aux-mer!

HST passes Voyager (the sea is not really this blue colour - it is the way the light was)

The sea, boats, buoys and lots of reflections!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:27:49 AM by Pendy »

Offline galway

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21458
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 01:43:45 PM »
The water looks great, it looks like errr - water  :)
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 09:54:15 PM »
Fantastic little layout this  :thumbsup:

It may be "just for fun" but you have managed to make an uncomplicated layout look a darn sight more interesting and realistic in some parts than some of the 'serious' layouts out there - well done  :)

Paul

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 09:51:08 AM »
Wow - thanks very much for your comment! Building this layout has been a trade off between detail vs time, fixed scenery vs removable scenery, lights vs no lights, realism vs space (e.g. would have liked the Kato outer double track pack with the more gentle 480/447mm curves but too wide for the space available, cliffs really need to be treble the height etc) and, most important, my budget.

I guess there aren't too many layouts where main viewable bit of track is an express line with no sidings or points! The Kato V11 double track pack was the basis for this because I enjoy seeing 'bright multicoloured worms' sashaying through the curves at up to 200mph scale speed and now I can see them reflected in the water too.  But this is probably not everybody's cup of tea though - especially as there is not a steamie in sight!

Offline Mustermark

• N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 12:54:27 PM »
Comgratulations on the water. Great bit of work. Looks very inviting. :thumbsup:

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 05:18:15 PM »
Excellent layout! 10 out 10

Your sea front station kind of reminds me of Dawlish in Devon. Really enjoyed your pictures here :thumbsup:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 08:29:28 PM »
Thanks for your kind comments! The layout is indeed very loosely based on Dawlish (because there are a succession of tunnels - that I can use to disguise the continuous run) and Starcross (because the station is between two curves, resembling a dog-bone). The link below has some great pictures of that area and I used them to model parts of the layout.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thrashmerchant/sets/72157605626129423/detail/

My late father's 'Exeter to Newton Abbot' Middleton press book also has some great pictures of the region (in B&W though)

Offline Mustermark

• N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 09:13:48 PM »
It does remind me of the Dawlish section with the tunnels along the sea with the bare red rock.  I always used to book a seat on that side of the train when traveling down to Penzance to visit my kids.  The best bit of the whole 5 hour journey from Reading.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 09:59:06 PM »
Thanks for your kind comments! The layout is indeed very loosely based on Dawlish (because there are a succession of tunnels - that I can use to disguise the continuous run) and Starcross (because the station is between two curves, resembling a dog-bone). The link below has some great pictures of that area and I used them to model parts of the layout.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thrashmerchant/sets/72157605626129423/detail/

My late father's 'Exeter to Newton Abbot' Middleton press book also has some great pictures of the region (in B&W though)

Thank you very much for the link Pendy, I have now saved this to my favorites. Funnily enough, I was on holiday in Torquay last week, we actually visited Dawlish Warren one day then walked the whole coast route next to the mainlines down to Dawlish. Slightly exhausted we then got the train back to Torquay via Newton abbot. A lovely part of the world and surprisingly warm for the end of Feb. One day i even wore my shorts!! :o :smiley-laughing:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2012, 12:24:48 PM »
Latest progress

I have replaced the continental buildings with Tomytec office blocks. I have needed to start putting interior detail in (as the daylight makes them look empty). Still need to add people!

This cylindrical building proved a challenge to fill, so made it into an Art gallery

The west side of the business park

Replaced one of the houses with an allotment (the bits were bought from dav6323 off eBay)

Built up some surf and waves in the cove (sea colours have not reproduced well)

Tennis court (from dav6323) the net base been replaced with metallic ribbon and the fences are also metallic ribbon

Retaining wall has been added with a Southern Special from Brighton visiting St Clements

The road bridge is back

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »
Great stuff, loving the allotment and tennis court, and the interiors look good too  :thumbsup:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 12:43:27 PM »
Smashing detailing, Pendy :thumbsup:

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »
I do like the way the allotment has slotted in neatly  :thumbsup:
Are you going to put lights in the new buildings?
The picture showing the retaining wall gives a great view of that great looking station sign  :evil:  :smiley-laughing:

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 01:51:42 PM »
Thanks everyone! I can't claim credit for the allotment, the pieces came from dav6323 off eBay (who also does the fencing). The pieces have only just been laid on the allotment, so it is not yet finished.

After the effort involved in illuminating some of the buildings on my OO layout, I took the decision not to illuminate this one (apart from a couple of signals). I've looked at Quinntopia's fantastic work on his site and the work involved to make the lighting look good and the interiors look realistic is just too much. And if I did the buildings, then I'd have to do the street lights. I just can't face all that wiring - particularly as it is so much smaller!

I'm experimenting with using metallic ribbon (from Hobbycraft) for fencing as many of the mesh sizes on the N gauge stuff is a bit big. Its not bad - the issue is that it is not rigid so hard to fit round corners.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal