!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cemaes Bay  (Read 9548 times)

Online Rowlie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 2mm Association Number: 4846
    • Awards
Re: Cemaes Bay
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2020, 09:59:52 PM »
Yes, that's the firm, they have really nice back scenes in their range, I picked this one up from Hattons, who seem to stock some of the range.
Best regards
Rowlie

Online Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2020, 10:58:03 PM »
Hi, part of the new approach to the station, I thought it would be nice to have a number of Scots Pine trees on the other side of the fence on the approach road. It was also an excuse to try out building my own trees. Can't claim originality in the methods used, the method has been influenced by a couple of on-line tutorials.

The trunk is made from a balsa dowel, the branches are made from wire secured in place with super glue. This was coated with PVA and then covered by coffee grounds. This was then painted/ dry brushed a variety of colours (browns, reds and grey), the canopy was some poly fibre covered in static grass. The height of the trees are around 35 '- 40'. As a first attempt it seems to be vaguely like a Scots Pine, but it could do with more and darker foliage.
Thanks for reading and stay safe. R

Best regards
Rowlie

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2020, 06:37:11 AM »
Yes, they look very good but, as you sasy, some darker foliage would improve the overall appearance.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2020, 08:14:58 AM »
Looking good but I also agree, slightly darker foliage and perhaps just a little bit more dense ?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2020, 10:04:33 AM »
Added bonus of waking up and smelling the coffee :D

Online Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2020, 08:55:16 PM »
Hi, hope everyone is safe and well during these strange times. The long weekend has allowed me to get back to Cemaes Bay. Yes, I agree with your comments, the trees do need more colour and depth, so I've added so Woodland scenics green course turf and I'm more happier with the appearance.

The trees are meant to line the station approach and provide a visual break to the back-scene. The approach isn't finished as the fencing and smaller brushes need to be added to the back-scene side. At the moment the station approach is a separate item so it has been fitted to assess the look.

Start has been made on the remaining trees, here is how I went about making them.

From left to right, (1) 3 mm dowel cut to length (mine where between 60 - 80 mm), next step (2) was the whittle the dowel to give a more uneven shape, then coat with PVA and sprinkle on the coffee grounds (and get the smell!), the finer the better. After the PVA has dried, (3) paint the surface, I used burnt umber, and once that is dry, (4) dry-brush with a grey colour the lower part of the trunk. For the branches I used some thin florists wire, folded and twisted, (5) these are then super-glued into holes along the trunk as the trees are going along the back-scene, the branches aren't all the way around. The end of the branches are cut to required length and opened up, at this point paint the branches burnt umber. From the pictures I have the branches tend to be in the upper part of the trunk and the lower part has stumps of earlier branches, these can be represented by short lengths of wire. The last step (6) was to added pre-painted poly-fiber using superglue to the branches. After this just add the foliage. As mentioned I am trying to mimic Scots Pine, which haven't be distorted by the wind.

Finally a view across the field

Thanks for reading and stay safe

Best regards
Rowlie

Online Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2020, 10:06:01 PM »
Hi, today I got the HOAs from Revolution and what superb models they are. Anyway as the station board was still out, it was an opportunity to move the clock forward.
Set sometime in the 2020's, construction of the new power station at Wlyfa is underway. The site of the old brickworks has now become a rail head for construction materials for the new build as well as a loading point for materials from the old reactors. With the extra freight traffic and passenger services the line is now busier than at anytime in its history.
Waiting in the late afternoon sunshine, an empty aggregate working waits the right of way.

Best regards
Rowlie

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal