!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cemaes Bay  (Read 10187 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Cemaes Bay
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2017, 08:45:42 AM »
Thats a lovely little model. Looking forward to seeing it in its painted form.
Iíll get round to fixing it drekkly me Ďansome.

Offline Rowlie

• 2mm Association Number: 4846
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2017, 06:49:43 PM »
A quick update on the weighbridge, I thought it was ok at normal viewing distances but having looked at the photo, not so sure  :hmmm:
Best regards
Rowlie

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2017, 06:53:22 PM »
Looks pretty good to me.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2017, 09:21:38 PM »
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2017, 09:30:30 PM »
The photograph looks good to me and it's about '0' gauge size on my screen!

Normal viewing distance is what matters.

It's a lovely model.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline PeteW

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2017, 01:43:26 AM »
Looks fine to me, too. You might try some black for the interior of the chimney pot, and maybe a mucky wash across the roof to pick out the tile detail but that's about all I could suggest to improve it.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2017, 07:24:25 AM »

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2017, 11:15:26 PM »
The weighbridge has received a couple of washes and as I wanted to have flush glazing rather than clear plastic behind the window frame I have tried out Deluxe's Glue n Glaze for the glazing, rather pleased with the result. 

Now that it is ready for planting I need to get on with the layout.  The last couple of weekends I have been sorting out the shed.  The shed has had benches fitted and partly lined, so I am now able to leave the layout erected.  Work on the layout today has been to lay the underlay on board two, finishing off the goods yard hardstanding, next job is to lay and cut the track across the join. A new control panel is also required and this has necessitated removing some of the existing wiring from board 1.
Best regards
Rowlie

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2017, 11:18:55 PM »
The two boards have been joined and the track laid across the join, still need to get the hang on the soldering of the droppers to the track without causing too much melting of the sleepers.  :doh:

Wiring has been terminated into connection blocks ready for the control panel, the track plan has been drawn in PowerPoint, better get the panel built so layout testing can start.  The fiddle yard is short of two points which have gone into hiding in my stock of bits and pieces.  The head shunt come private siding will go into the factory area.
Best regards
Rowlie

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2017, 09:50:45 PM »
Well managed to spend time working on the layout at the weekend.  Track was completed on board two, and the point motors fitted to the fiddle yard.  Having found an extra point (really must keep tabs on what I have in), the fiddle yard has four roads.  The right hand private siding will have a warehouse between it and the fiddle yard (also covering the point motors).

Of course being set in North Wales there should be a narrow gauge railway, so the factory will be served by a narrow gauge railway for raw materials, this will give me the opportunity to have an excuse to have this as a load either on the way to De Winton's of Caernarfon or on its way back.

Unfortunately the control panel only got as far as the board with the track diagram, for Cemaes Bay I am using mainly Peco switches, the other board is for the module I am building which is part of the Wrexham Area NGS group layout.  With luck I should get Cemaes Bay control panel operational next weekend.

Best regards
Rowlie

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2017, 08:28:40 AM »
Iím not sure where September went, but the control panel didnít get finished the following weekend (TINGS won). No photos to show, the second board has been painted and all the board wiring has been done.  During my search for Peco switches in my railway drawers I found a lot of scenic items I had bought over the last few years and forgotten about, I think they were definite ďoh that might be usefulĒ buys..oops.  Well I have all the switches and so the control panel can get finished, hopefully soon (ish). 
Best regards
Rowlie

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2018, 02:36:03 PM »
Well it has been seven months since I last posted about Cemaes Bay my "what if" layout.  Progress came to a grinding halt shortly after the last post, partly due to electrical faults, partly that the shed was too cold to work in and partly that life got in the way of model railways.
The last couple of weekends has seen renewed progress, the electrical faults appear to have been resolved (fingers crossed) and was in part down to basic errors by me in setting up electrofrog points (e.g. putting metal fishplates where an insulated fishplates should be  :hmmm:). 
The station layout has been revised with an extra turnout being installed at the buffer end of the station, the track plan (drawn in SCARM) is shown below.  This extra bit of track might be used for Loco servicing or an end loading dock (Almwch was situated at the end of the passenger platform), not quite decided yet.  The entrance to the goods yard has moved the be central in the layout sharing the road access to the brickworks.

Best regards
Rowlie

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2018, 11:07:12 PM »
Fortunately the electrical fault finding has been successful and all the electrical gremlins have been fixed.  As a result there has been light engine movements around Cemaes Bay today.  The test engine was a class 08 and had no issues with the points, although they are electrofrog, electrical conductivity is still dependant on the blade contact. The wiring under the station board doesnít look as neat as it did a few pages back. Now that the trackwork appears to be in an operational state, attention can be now paid to filling in the gaps in the sleepers and adding the ballast. 
Best regards
Rowlie

Offline Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2018, 11:29:04 PM »
A little more progress on the layout has been made, all the electrics have been been completed and the underside of the station board looks very different than before.

To get a feel for how the layout might look like, the buildings were laid out on the layout.  The boards have been swapped around.  Although I have arranged the layout to allow the background either side, it probably will be viewed this way round so the fiddle yard can be hidden behind the brick works.  The Kestrel factory will need to be slimmed down so it can fit closer to the station.  Apologies for the quality of the pictures but hopefully it gives a feel for what I am aiming for.

Best regards
Rowlie

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2018, 06:23:06 AM »
Very neat electrics.  Well done!
With kind regards