!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Feathered signals  (Read 877 times)

Offline mickster04

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26540
  • The sing of the rails, music to my ears
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Links to mikes online presense
    • Awards
Feathered signals
« on: December 16, 2016, 08:01:40 AM »
I've been working on this for a little while. Shapeways has some acrylic stuff that isn't for sellers, just makers (you have to upload you're own models to print with this stuff) and according to shapeways has very minute tolerances. however, having got my prints out, I'm not sure it's actually all that good.

I believe N gauge will require some magic from 3d printing to get anywhere with it really.

In the image below, i have my version, which I had hopes of being fully working (I have LED lights less than a millimeter across that work) but the print definition isn't good enough for the wiring gaps and led slots. So whilst I think I have the dimensions down pretty good compared to the cheaper Chinese version that also works (without feather) it isn't feasible to print these out to make models with. the inaccuracies just don't meet up. I think I need to involve a factory for this to get them properly manufactured, only I wouldn't have a clue where to begin...

Mini led

so I guess the question is, do I scale up a bit to get something that is workable? I have seen examples of feathered signals in N before, so it is possible, just not sure how much tolerance I should give before it looks daft?

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Feathered signals
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 08:27:06 AM »
My opinion, excellent. :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Loco Repairs - Direct message me
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 08:45:25 AM »
Be cheaper to buy them from CR signals surely once postage is taken into account ! ?

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 08:53:49 AM »
Good point.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 10:06:01 AM »
Would FUD or FXD not be better? Seem some really good 3D printed signals with feathers using FUD.

Edit: here.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:09:25 AM by njee20 »

Offline terrysoham

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22528
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 10:28:08 AM »
I think that when you start to get to the dimensions and tolerances we're talking about here 3D printing is not good enough yet.  I agree with Only Me far better to go to CR Signals and buy the kits.  However be warned, I think I'm pretty competent now with a soldering iron, but the feather LEDs had me beat in Paul's kits so I bought the finished signals and feathers from him.   Sometimes, even though it's a hobby, you have to factor in your labour costs to gauge whether DIY makes sense.
Regards
Terry Metcalfe
Ely and District Model Railway Club
Owner of High Lodge logging railway (009) and in the process of building a new layout based on Soham in 1944

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 12:09:38 PM »
In the words of Clint Eastwood, "A mans gotta know his limitations."  ;) ;D

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 03:15:15 PM »
In the words of Clint Eastwood, "A mans gotta know his limitations."  ;) ;D

Hi

I know what you mean I managed to solder some 0402 resistors, capacitors and LEDs along with some very fine pitch ICs onto a PCB a few years ago and that I feel is the limit of my soldering skills.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline EssexN

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 02:25:24 AM »
Hi mickster04

After a few attempts I managed to solder 5 SMT Leds in series. On the reverse side of the Led is a diode symbol representing - +,- +,- +,- +,- +, This is the order they must be in to work when soldered.                 
The Leds were lightly tinned with solder on the tops of the rear side, but not the sides themselves. They were placed in a piece of plastic U section and each one joined to each other with a light touch of the soldering iron. They require about 12 to 16 volts DC with a 470ohm resistor as a safeguard to work.          It's prudent if you can, the first you light them up, to build up slowly to the working voltage. A small amount of Super glue at the ends of the assembled fixture will bond the Leds to the plastic U section.                 There are no holes drilled in the plastic U section as the Leds are bright enough to give a diffused even spread of light across the lit area. The plastic U section was trimmed to fit to the rear of the Feather Signal,and once aligned with the 5 holes glued in place with a drop of Super glue.                            Photo's below show the assembly and finished Signal.
Hope this is of some help, good luck

David

Offline DELETED

• N Gauge Society Number: Expire
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 03:08:47 AM »
Really superb work :envy:.  I admire youre concentration to such tiny detail. :admiration:  There's a similar thread on RMWEB with 3D printed signals -having bashed one of my brass based CR signals this evening  :doh: and thankfully it bounced back -I wonder though how resilient a full printed signal is though  :confused2:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 03:10:12 AM by RST »

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal