!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 50144 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #585 on: April 25, 2019, 11:28:12 PM »
Smashing work as always, Steve.

Thanks Mick.  :)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #586 on: April 26, 2019, 11:00:10 AM »
I've adjusted them a half dozen times today and think that I'll have to put a gentle second bend into them to ensure that they'll maintain good contact with the wheels.

Be careful not to fatigue them at the right angle or they can snap. I've taken to putting a gentle outward curve into them along the length toward the tip - this allows them to remain in good contact. Relying on the sharp bend doesn't seem a long term solution as they tend to bend back flat against the chassis sides as you've found. Particularly true when putting in and out of their boxes which can force the wheels laterally to one side and another.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #587 on: April 26, 2019, 12:28:35 PM »
Be careful not to fatigue them at the right angle or they can snap. I've taken to putting a gentle outward curve into them along the length toward the tip - this allows them to remain in good contact. Relying on the sharp bend doesn't seem a long term solution as they tend to bend back flat against the chassis sides as you've found. Particularly true when putting in and out of their boxes which can force the wheels laterally to one side and another.

Thanks Alan, I've been very careful regarding this and had a close look at the pickups this morning to see if there was any sign of fatigue (thankfully, there wasn't). I've added a slight bend to each of the pickups about a third of the way up using some round nose pliers. This seems to have done the trick and the loco seems to be picking up power happily enough on my test track.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #588 on: April 26, 2019, 04:30:38 PM »
The County is now glazed, the last couple of bits of patch painting are done and its running!

Some last photographs of it before it goes away tomorrow.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #589 on: April 26, 2019, 06:59:06 PM »
Having completed the county, I spent a little time this afternoon looking at my next loco build.

This will be my second attempt at C1 3279 as rebuilt by Gresley with outside valve gear and K2 type cylinders. The original model was made some years ago but was too dimensionally challenged and rather crude by my current expectations.

I've been helped to this point by my good friend Hans of N-Stars. Hans kindly turned down the flange on a set of Jubilee drivers so that I could fit them on a Farish Black Five chassis. Hans also took the Black Five tender drive and built a new drive to fit within the GNR tender I designed for C1 4452. He also fitted some Peco Collett tender wheels so the tender has correct spoked wheels. Despite its small size, it will happily haul 12+ bogie coaches on the level.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to adapt my previous C1 body to show the modifications made to 3279 and allow it to fit on the Black Five chassis. I'm also hopeful that some adapted B1 valve gear, along with the Black Five cross heads will give a reasonably accurate representation of the valve gear.

Offline carlwooduk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9368
    • Awards
« Reply #590 on: April 26, 2019, 08:09:38 PM »
Steve, the County is  a  day from going on trails, its looking superb.
See you tomorrow at NESCOT.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #591 on: April 26, 2019, 08:23:00 PM »
Steve, the County is  a  day from going on trails, its looking superb.
See you tomorrow at NESCOT.

Thanks Carl. Hopefully the trials will be successful and the County can officially be handed over.  :)

Offline JohnBS

• N Gauge Society Number: 17148
  • 2mm Association Number: 1577
  • 2mm scale, N-gauge, GWR 1900-40, Totnes, Ashburton
    • Awards
« Reply #592 on: April 27, 2019, 01:05:52 PM »
Steve,
A very nice County.
A propos of pick-ups, I have generally replaced the Farish pick-ups with 33 gauge phosphor-bronze wire, soldered to a gapped piece of copper-clad fibreglass. This seems to work well, the wires are easily adjustable and are robust. I have used this method with the old Farish solid wheels and with plastic-centred wheels such as the Beaver ones. The incidental advantage of this is the reduction in depth of the pick-up assembly, giving more daylight under the chassis.
Best wishes
John
For more information see my blog: http://ashburton-and-totnes.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #593 on: April 27, 2019, 07:51:24 PM »
yea, what Mick says, lovely jubbly Steve.

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #594 on: April 27, 2019, 09:53:03 PM »
Stunning work there Steve. The skill you've demonstrated at every stage from design to delivery is amazing. For a proprietary model to be brought to this stage would take ?a dozen? separate craftspeople, each an expert in one part of the process.

Mike

Offline carlwooduk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9368
    • Awards
« Reply #595 on: April 28, 2019, 07:40:47 AM »
Here is Steve’s masterpiece on Vale of Oxbury at NESCOT -  County of Merioneth performed as good as she looks. I just need to order a new Driver & Fireman from Model U to finish off a perfect model.
Nice to have a one off —- for now.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #596 on: April 29, 2019, 11:35:20 AM »
Here is Steve’s masterpiece on Vale of Oxbury at NESCOT -  County of Merioneth performed as good as she looks. I just need to order a new Driver & Fireman from Model U to finish off a perfect model.
Nice to have a one off —- for now.

Thanks Carl, it was great to see it run (and drive it!) on VoO over the weekend and I'm very pleased that you are so happy with it.

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #597 on: April 29, 2019, 12:24:07 PM »
Steve,
A very nice County.
A propos of pick-ups, I have generally replaced the Farish pick-ups with 33 gauge phosphor-bronze wire, soldered to a gapped piece of copper-clad fibreglass. This seems to work well, the wires are easily adjustable and are robust. I have used this method with the old Farish solid wheels and with plastic-centred wheels such as the Beaver ones. The incidental advantage of this is the reduction in depth of the pick-up assembly, giving more daylight under the chassis.
Best wishes
John

Thanks John, I've done something similar on my C1's tender but will need to rework it slightly. I'll keep that in mind for any future conversions using Farish locomotives though.

yea, what Mick says, lovely jubbly Steve.

Stunning work there Steve. The skill you've demonstrated at every stage from design to delivery is amazing. For a proprietary model to be brought to this stage would take ?a dozen? separate craftspeople, each an expert in one part of the process.

Mike

Thank you guys. I'm very pleased that this one in now complete and that its new owner is very happy with it.  :D

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #598 on: May 30, 2019, 07:18:31 PM »
I've been working on a couple of locomotives again recently.

First up is an N2 for which I have adapted the CAD to fit on a modified 4F chassis.

I'm really happy with this as it is the first time I've managed to print a tank locomotive (or a tender body!) to an acceptable standard on my printer. I've used the trailing truck I designed for the V1; unfortunately (but not surprisingly) it puts the rear trailing wheels too far back so I'll need to design another one.

Next up, I've recently decided to revised a project that I abandoned a little while back to make use of a spare Grange chassis I had lying around.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #599 on: May 30, 2019, 07:58:19 PM »
Both models look excellent Steve.

Naturally I am drawn more to the N2 as you would expect but the 43xx is a pretty little loco and to my non GW trained eye you have captured the look of it perfectly. It is light years ahead of the very old P&D Marsh whitemetal kit (which was to be fair perfectly acceptable for it's time) and I look forward to watching it progress with much interest.

Roy

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations